Did the Frey deserve to be cooked into pies?

Seaworth'sShipmate

I believe it is more a question of should they of been killed or should he of fed them to hosteen and friends. The idea of them bing cooked into a pie as the bad part in the equation is silly, once they are dead a pie is just as good a place as any to be laid to rest. Now having them being eaten by family is where it gets a little shady. But in the end I love the move a fat man using his true love of food to bring an even bigger smile to his face then a regular pie would of. May the old gods and the new continue to favor the boldness of the fat Frey killing majestic creature that is Wyman Manderly.

By seceding violently from the Seven Kingdoms, the Northmen elite committed a grievous crime starting a war costing the lives of many innocents, they punished them by sending a message, play nice or we won't play nice... The Northmen would now think twice before seceding.

Except the Northmen didn't start the war...

By seceding violently from the Seven Kingdoms, the Northmen elite committed a grievous crime starting a war costing the lives of many innocents, they punished them by sending a message, play nice or we won't play nice... The Northmen would now think twice before seceding.

Hell, the exact same excuse is given after the massacre of the Tarbecks, the Castameres, and the Darklyns.

It doesn't make it any more justified/right.

"They committed an atrocity, so let's do something even worse to them!" is even dumber than the law of talion.

You seem to have no sense of scale.

The Freys, unlike Manderly, massacred tons of people who had nothing to do with the slight they were punishing. And I think any reasonable person would agree that the treacherous murder of one's son and heir is an even greater cause for revenge than breaking a marriage oath, both in Westeros and in our world.

In other words, compared to the Freys themselves, Manderly dished out less punishment for a greater crime.

Should such punishments be codified and openly celebrated? Of course not. But the pies were made discreetly - Robb's desecrated corpse was paraded for (at least) hundreds to see

Well I'll have to agree to disagree. I think there is a beginning to any conflict, and reading this story, i believe the Freys started their conflict with the Starks and the North. I believe when someone punches you first, you have the right to punch back.

Absolutely. You have right to punch back, but you don't have the right to murder someone for punching you.

Really? The men of the NW have "no life at all"? The Maesters? No life at all. Only a child can create a climate where you have love and affection in your life? Because MANY of those people are not there by choice. Sorry, I don't agree. Like I said, life is hard. If you really think that sending children to the silent sisters or the maesters is the same as the Mountain raping, torturing and killing them, I don't know what to tell you.

Yes no life of their own. To be able to create something. Saying that they should cut the tongues of girls and send them to Silent sisters and condemned little boys to a life at the end of the world full of misery because of what their family have done is similar to what the Mountain, Tywin and Amory did.

I'm not trying to say that. I just find it hard to believe that Rhaegar, Symond and Jared (who are all pretty slimy, especially Symond) had no part in the Red Wedding, as you claimed.

AFAIR they were not at RW. But I am not talking for everyone. In any case of course family will fight for family, or maybe at the most cases. Beloved Rhaegar fought at his monstrous father's side.

"Sometimes the innocent pay the price for the guilty."

That could be used to justify the Red Wedding as well, you know. Not only Robb and his lords, the ones responsible for starting an illegal war, were butchered, their men were as well. But oh well, sometimes the innocent pay for the price of the guilty, I guess.

:agree:

Archived