Did the Frey deserve to be cooked into pies?

Seaworth'sShipmate

They deserved more than that. After the RW and then how they talked about it in White Harbour like it was some big joke, being posthumously baked into a pie is letting them off easy. Sure, mutilating someone's corpse is vile... but look at what they did to Robb! THEY PUT GREY WIND'S HEAD ON HIS BODY! That is just unspeakably cruel. And let's not forget about Cat, being dumped naked into a river like she was garbage while at the same time disrespecting her funeral traditions, how can you say they didn't deserve what they got and more? Saying no person deserves that is total BS imo, when you yourself strip someone of all their dignity, you don't deserve to keep yours either. Like someone said before, if the bodies of Robb, Cat, Greywind and all the other Northerners and Northern supporters who died at the RW were treated with respect instead of complete and utter disrespect, MAYBE what Manderly did would have been a little too far. But even then, violating guest right is still one of the worst things a person can do in Westeros, the way the bodies were treated is just making an already awful act even worse. Me personally, I respect Manderly for what he did, at least someone finally had the stones to dole out some real justice in the North.

There is a big big big huge difference between the deaths of the Red Wedding, the deaths of war and what happened to the three Freys.

In war, people die and kill. Red Wedding wasn't war.

If Robb and his men had been killed in battle, no one would mind. Or at least, no one would be so scandalised by their deaths. Hey! It's war! Things like this happen in war.

Red Wedding was a massacre perpetrated by betrayal. You don't invite a man to your house and offer him truce (which is what Guest Right is) and kill him during dinner. That's what the Freys did: they disrespected one of the most holy traditions in Westeros, followed by Andals, First Men and everyone alike, and then, they desecrated the bodies of those they killed. They committed not only a crime but the most terrible crime of all crimes.

After that, they have lost, to the rest of men's eyes, any kind of right to be respected as well.

Guest Right is multipurpose.

There is not one lord in Westeros that does not have a job as lord that is very public and they have to constantly have allies, troops, all kinds of guests, kin, non-relatives, frenemies, you name it under their roof too. It is a constant, shitty, balancing act. Their estates are always open, there are holiday, feasts, celebrations, and matters of ruling when people that you have good status or bad terms with, or that you know you don't really know ever if it will turn or not. So because of that there is Guest Right.

Even families not involved don't ever want this shit to happen (RW) and don't like it because they worry about themselves. It breached the status quo and their peace of mind. You do NOT want this precedent. Whether we heard about it or not. That is what all the characters are thinking. That is why they are never going to get away from it.

Apparently, not the Freys, Boltons, and the rest. But they do know now. Everything is going quicker down hill since then. A big taboo/line was crossed.

Anyone involved is done. You don't touch guest right. You don't lure people and ambush them. A deal was in place. For whatever Robb did, Walder got a helluva nice consolation with a tie to Edumure and the Riverlands. Robb didn't leave him with his hand on his ass. He still had the Arya wedding promise. I mean, thank God my girl is out of it, but I don't remember Robb or Cat breaking it either. And maybe more things down the road if Walder bitched them to death. That might have even, as I posted before, gave an ok to other Northern or Riverlands Houses to marry a Frey. He had it good, ruined that, and then brought about the destruction of his House.

Human beings have been eaten too. "Alive", anybody?

Of course, that's not the situation here, but still, it's not like humans won't do that in case of desperate need (we see that in Dance too, btw).

But, let's remember that the Rat Cook wasn't punished for serving people but for breaking the GR.

The Frey's actions included what they did with the bodies of Robb's and Cat's, because they were their guests, not because they were expected of them to treat their bodies in some special matter.

And Manderly's actions were a payback for breaking the guest right, as he was pretty sure to first give the Freys gifts and not getting them hurt while they were still guests under his roof. For the Westerosis, as he didn't break GR, he's not as much as a monster as the Freys were.

Yes, because it makes me giggle.

Oh good, I'm not the only one who thinks it's absurdly funny.

Because "an eye for an eye makes everyone blind."

Perhaps the subtext of the Frey pie incident is to question the morality of retributive justice -- a major theme in the series.

Euhm, yes we are. We're just smart animals who think way too highly of themselves.

Human Beings are indeed animals.... someone wasn't paying attention in school.

I did not mean that in a biological sense. And there's a lot of difference between animals and human beings. Namely, humans possess a high order of thought process.

Why wouldn't plain old beheading be enough?

Despite their reputations in this forum, UnCat is much more humanitarian than Manderly.

Oh, the irony.

I did not mean that in a scientific sense. I meant that human beings have humanity in them while animals do not. Even if we are all classified as animals there's a lot of difference between a human and an animal. Humans have consciences for instance.

Just because you did not mean anything in a "scientific sense" does not justify you just throwing untrue statements about. The line between "animals and humans" is much closer than you clearly give it credit for. As for "only humans have conscience" that's something that's totally not proven.

But this is getting pretty far off-topic.

Archived