Wow, I never noticed that, v.8

Jon Weirgaryen

Rhaegar was born during the Tragedy at Summerhall, which was most likely Aegon V's attempt to bring dragons back. Why bring the dragons back on that particular day? Even if Egg didn't know exactly when the child would be born, his granddaughter was about to give birth at any time, so I presume he expected Rhaella's child to play some role in the dragon revival.

Rhaegar was born during the Tragedy at Summerhall, which was most likely Aegon V's attempt to bring dragons back. Why bring the dragons back on that particular day? Even if Egg didn't know exactly when the child would be born, his granddaughter was about to give birth at any time, so I presume he expected Rhaella's child to play some role in the dragon revival.

I suppose the main reason for the gathering was the eggs. And the fact that Rhaella was pregnant was a plus. Like, "let's celebrate all together the birth of the dragons and my great-great child".

I never realized that Renly was gay. Even on my re-read i tried to look for hints, but it only said that he used lots of money on clothes, which one can do without being gay, and asking Loras to pray with him, which i also do not find very gay (i know that is not what they really did XP, but still).

And finally, the Rainbow guard. Why was that a strong hint to him being gay? If i understand correctly the Rainbow is the sign of the seven...i thought he did it to make pious men favor him...

Also, i did not know that Catelyn clawed in her own face..i remember something about crows, which i kept re-reading, but did not understand it until my next re-read of the series.

Also, Arya killing Dareon...wtf? She said just so and then the boots and i thought ? GRRM you sneaky beardy snark

I'll add more if i remember.

Something which may have been obvious at the time but:

The princess he is referring to is Arya (promised by Robb at the Twins). Which is kinda funny.

Which means

It seems like this is the start of the works of the Red Wedding.

As a side note, something that I noticed was lost in the TV series is the saturation of Freys everywhere, and how helpful and likable they seem. Making the betrayal so much the worse.

Which i find awesome...that GRRM had planned it all the way back then.

Sorry for double post

I never realized that Renly was gay. Even on my re-read i tried to look for hints, but it only said that he used lots of money on clothes, which one can do without being gay, and asking Loras to pray with him, which i also do not find very gay (i know that is not what they really did XP, but still).

What about this hint, from Storm 62 :

Jaime grabbed (Loras) with his good hand and yanked him around. "I am the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, you arrogant pup. Your commander, so long as you wear that white cloak. Now sheathe your bloody sword, or I'll take it from you and shove it up some place even Renly never found."

"You have tasted sister's stew before?"

"I have, my lord." The same stew was served all over the Three Sisters, in every inn and tavern.

..."There's three kinds of crabs in there. Red crabs and spider crabs and conquerors. I won't eat spider crab, except in sister's stew. Makes me feel half a cannibal."

Davos I, Dance

"Under the sea the merman feast on starfish soup, and all the serving men are crabs."

Jon IX, Dance

The three crabs have been discussed in old Moments of Foreshadowing threads. I agree that Stannis is the red crab, Aegon is the spider crab, and Daenerys is the conqueror crab. But I don't think this is a foreshadowing. I think it's a veiled commentary. We learn that crabs feast on the dead in and very near the sea, similar to the way crows feast on corpses following battle. Then we have Patchface tell us that the crabs, perhaps the three crabs above, are serving the feast.

And note that Davos says he has eaten the stew before, but his host says he won't. He also indicates that his people suffered when they were dragged into previous wars. And this time he helps Davos and by doing so keeps his people out of the current conflict.

Sheldon is right. Kings don't get elected. They should have shouted: "The President in the North! The President in the North!"

Kings are elected all the time. The point is: Who are the electors? And what happens when the king forgets about it or even he never acknowledge it.

ETA:

I was re-reading ACoK and I noticed this time that Dany and Jon have their "teddy bears", Jeor and Jorah, how cute!

I noticed it in chapters 12 Daenerys I and chapter 13 Jon II.

It is also interesting how both characters ended up those chapters with the key verb "find".

The woman in the lacquered wooden mask said in the Common Tongue of the Seven Kingdoms, "I am Quaithe of the Shadow. We come seeking dragons."

"Seek no more," Daenerys Targaryen told them. "You have found them."

(Daenerys I, ACoK, 12)

They rode in silence, until Jon said, "If my uncle found all these villages empty as well-"

"-he would have made it his purpose to learn why," Lord Mormont finished for him, "and it may well be someone or something did not want that known. Well, we'll be three hundred when Qhorin joins us. Whatever enemy waits out here will not find us so easy to deal with. We will find them, Jon, I promise you."

Or they will find us, thought Jon.

(Jon II, ACoK, 13)

Sheldon is right. Kings don't get elected. They should have shouted: "The President in the North! The President in the North!"

Actually, Kings and Emperors used to get elected (as in ancient Rome, or modern Italy, Hungary, Germany, Poland and other places, too).

eta: or in-universe, the princes in the free cities who get "elected" ;-).

Apologies in advance if someone else has mentioned this one. Old Nan tells Bran how the White Walkers would hunt maidens through the frozen forests. Ramsey Bolton has made a game of hunting women. Previously it was suggested that the WWs took human females to make half-human babies. Ramsey talks about a woman he and the first Reek 'hunted' in a field and killed and raped. Reek went immediately after Ramsey because he liked to take his turn "while they were still warm." Perhaps Ramsey has a bit of WW in him.

Dalla was one of Craster's Daughters?

AFFC Samwell POV after Aemon dies on the way to old town, he and Gilly are discussing names for the wildling prince:

"We could name the little one 'Maester' if you like..."

"'Maester' is not a name. You could call him 'Aemon' though."

"...Aemon Steelsong..."

"A name even my lord father might like. A warriors name" The boy was Mance Rayder's son, and Craster's grandson after all.

"Yes, call him that."

That should make Gilly his aunt. Is this unreliable narration on Sams part?

Dalla was one of Craster's Daughters?

AFFC Samwell POV after Aemon dies on the way to old town, he and Gilly are discussing names for the wildling prince:

"We could name the little one 'Maester' if you like..."

"'Maester' is not a name. You could call him 'Aemon' though."

"...Aemon Steelsong..."

"A name even my lord father might like. A warriors name" The boy was Mance Rayder's son, and Craster's grandson after all.

"Yes, call him that."

That should make Gilly his aunt. Is this unreliable narration on Sams part?

I think thats just stating that the baby is kind of like two children. Who he actually is, and who they claim he is.

Archived