R+L=J v.111

Salafi Stannis

There is nothing big and revealing about RLJ, but

a lot about R that we could use to analyse what kind of man he was. The word (well, not a word...) I would use is "under a new light").

(my griffin has a mention by name... /cries like a little girl)

Is the new info good or bad?

There is nothing big and revealing about RLJ, but

a lot about R that we could use to analyse what kind of man he was. The word (well, not a word...) I would use is "under a new light").

(my griffin has a mention by name... /cries like a little girl)

How much of any information about Rhaegar may be tainted by the intended audience for the history--the Baratheon dynasty? Isn't WoIaF susceptible to "unreliable narrator" problems--particularly about Rhaegar?

Is the new info good or bad?

To me, it was good.

How much of any information about Rhaegar may be tainted by the intended audience for the history--the Baratheon dynasty? Isn't WoIaF susceptible to "unreliable narrator" problems--particularly about Rhaegar?

For a book that was intended for Robert, I think Rhaegar is well portrayed.

7 Gods willing the book will be in my hands in a few days...............

I really want to see what the fuss is over this big RLJ news that people keep teasing.

We don't need anything else on R+L=J. it is already confirmed by 111 threads and the fact that EVERYONE already knows about it. People who are still arguing against it just havent seen the light yet, they will all come around, some just a decade later than others :)

No, what we will get is a lot more info on A+J=T, enough to rival this theory in terms of evidence :)

The book teases and it's mostly positive, even glowing.

We don't need anything else on R+L=J. it is already confirmed by 111 threads and the fact that EVERYONE already knows about it. People who are still arguing against it just havent seen the light yet, they will all come around, some just a decade later than others :)

No, what we will get is a lot more info on A+J=T, enough to rival this theory in terms of evidence :)

You know I am on your side on the A+J=T theory, but I am less optimistic than you about the extent to which WoIaF will settle any issues regarding AJT. My copy won't be delivered until next week, so I am counting on people who have the book already or get it tomorrow to fill me in on these details.

As to Rhaegar news, I think a relatively positive portrayal of Rhaegar is interesting (even though it does not change any theory) because it seems to be a clue that GRRM is going to reveal RLJ in Book 6 (as I have suspected) and not wait until Book 7. He is preparing more people for the reveal that Rhaegar is not an evil kidnapper.

I disagree.

We DO need something else on R+L=J. We need Martin to fucking confirm it already so we can just move on.

As to Rhaegar news, I think a relatively positive portrayal of Rhaegar is interesting (even though it does not change any theory) because it seems to be a clue that GRRM is going to reveal RLJ in Book 6 (as I have suspected) and not wait until Book 7. He is preparing more people for the reveal that Rhaegar is not an evil kidnapper.

It doesn't, but...

I think -and it's a personal appreciation- that it gives some hints on where his mind actually was and what his real intentions were when he left KL/DS. But of course, Yandel isn't in his mind.

So, yes. A lot to be discussed, but not what people might expect :lol:

Also, Martin has pretty much admitted that he's going to reveal R+L=J in book 6:

"And then the other one was, of course, you know, I have certain things that I’m laying clues for that there will be revelations later on. Some people had put together those clues even as early as 1998, adding things together. I said, “What do I do with that? What do I do with that? These people have guessed the secret that I’m gonna reveal in book 6, people have already guessed that here and book 2 is just out.” You really have two choices there: you can ignore it and proceed with your plan, despite the fact that some people know where you’re going; or you can get all panicky and say “OMG, they’ve figured it out, I can’t let that be, I’ll have to change it, I’ll have to go in a different direction.” And I think some writers do that, and I think that’s always a mistake. You know, if you've planned your book that the butler did it, and then you read on the internet that someone has figured out that the butler did it and you suddenly change in midstream and it was the chambermaid who did it, then you screw up the whole book, because you get this foreshadowing early on and you’ve got these little clues you’ve planted and now they’re dead ends, and you have to introduce these other clues and now you’re retconning…it’s a mess. "

Archived