Nymeria and the Rhoynar - Full Respect!

Anyone else absolutely engrossed in this chapter as I was? What a gutsy, stubborn, hard ass people with waterbenders to boot lol and this is coming from a Valyrian fan. Totally kicked the Valyrians ass a few times and we know now for sure that dragons can be killed by simple arrows. I never knew they went south before the went to Dorne and all the troubles they went though. Kind of reminds me of Aenas fleeing from Troy or Odysseus .

Awesome. Solidified Dorne as my favorite place in Westeros.

Agreed, I really enjoyed it as well. Reminded me of the punic wars a bit.

Nymeria herself remained the unquestioned ruler of Dorne for almost twenty-seven years, her husbands serving only as counselors and consorts. She survived a dozen attempts upon her life, put down two rebellions, and threw back two invasions by the Storm King Durran the Third and one by King Greydon of the Reach

What a boss

I also love the confirmation of female Rhoynar warriors. Nymeria may have been more f a commander and strategist but she probably did fight if she had to here and there. Must have been quite something for the Dornish to behold al those people coming and ragged and bruised but refusing to give in.

I think the Martells were probably the best family for Nymeria to get into bed with (so to speak) they didn't style themselves King and seemed to be pragmatic and patient. Plus those Dornish under Mors also got some seriously hardy wives out of it who wouldn't stand for any shit I imagine. I wonder what the enemy thought when it saw female warriors being added to the Martell numbers. They probably laughed and then regretted it big time.

To me it seemed a bit Rape of the Sabine women but in reverse and consensual, so not really the same so maybe the Susa weddings goes better.

:rofl:

I don't know why that made me laugh, but it did.

I've been thinking... it's kind of like the Norse incursions into Britain or even the earlier West Germanic ones, but they were much more gradual and didn't have a singular figure like Nymeria.

Yeah, I just finished that chapter, and I thought the same thing. These guys managed to curb-stomp Valyrians with dragons until the game-breaking full might of the Freehold fell upon them. When you just read about all the other peoples of Essos either submitted or were absolutely curb-stomped, it forces respect. And that's before reading about Nymeria, who is probably the most badass character in the entire setting. One does not fuck with the Rhonyar.

Man, Essos used to be such an awesome place, what with the Valyrians and Rhoynars and Andals who painted the Seven-Pointed Star in blood. It's a shame that in the ASoIaF timeline it's full of clowns like Daario and the slavers.

It also shows that archers can kill dragons. Now the we just need to find some water mages.

Re-reading this part of the book has made me think about Nymeria a lot more. Aside from being clearly a very good leader and commander, she must have had amazing charisma. To be able to hold so many people together for so long and in the face of so many disappointments along the way. Her charisma must have been something to behold.

She must have really been able to galvanise people and get them to believe in a big way because most stayed with her despite all the horrors they went through. In the end she came through for them big time, but she must have had one heck of a personality to get them to stick with it, especially as she clearly did have people who opposed her like the priestess. I really hope we learn a little more about her in some of the Dornish POV's even if its only little snippets she seems to have been an amazing figure.

Yeah, I just finished that chapter, and I thought the same thing. These guys managed to curb-stomp Valyrians with dragons until the game-breaking full might of the Freehold fell upon them. When you just read about all the other peoples of Essos either submitted or were absolutely curb-stomped, it forces respect. And that's before reading about Nymeria, who is probably the most badass character in the entire setting. One does not fuck with the Rhonyar.

Man, Essos used to be such an awesome place, what with the Valyrians and Rhoynars and Andals who painted the Seven-Pointed Star in blood. It's a shame that in the ASoIaF timeline it's full of clowns like Daario and the slavers.

It also shows that archers can kill dragons. Now the we just need to find some water mages.

When you have 83,333 soldiers for every dragon in the air you may well be able to kill 2 and injure a third, with only a few thousands casualties.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if once Nymeria had united Dorne and found a home she started to look for stuff to keep away dragons. At that point she wouldn't have known that the dragons days were numbered. She found her people a home she must have then at least started to look into taking steps so it was never taken again. They knew the basics of killing dragons because they did it, but maybe she looked into ways where one strike was enough not having to use many volleys. Maybe her descendants were even involved in financing the doom.

Anyone else absolutely engrossed in this chapter as I was? What a gutsy, stubborn, hard ass people with waterbenders to boot lol and this is coming from a Valyrian fan. Totally kicked the Valyrians ass a few times and we know now for sure that dragons can be killed by simple arrows. I never knew they went south before the went to Dorne and all the troubles they went though. Kind of reminds me of Aenas fleeing from Troy or Odysseus .

Awesome. Solidified Dorne as my favorite place in Westeros.

The chapter was released a while before the book. And yea I have to agree, she was damn impressive!

The whole story of the Rhoynar was moving. Theirs was a beautiful and gentle civilisation, which finally had to fight overwhelming odds. Garin was one type of hero, utterly brave and fearless, like Hercules. Nymeria was another, brave and calculating, like Ulysses. And, ultimately, she saved a remnant of her people.

The story of the Orphans of the Greenblood is sad, too. They remind me of the exiled Jews, lamenting Chroyane (Jerusalem) by the Rivers of Dorne.

Archived