[TWOIAF Spoilers] The Truth about Qarth

AzureOwl

Davos (I believe) thinks to himself at one point that a single voyage to the Jade Sea would make a man rich for the rest of his life. Yi Ti, Leng and Asshai are enormously wealthy/productive trade powers. And we know that the winds/currents/whatever make it so that if you're sailing east, you have to go through the Jade Gates. So Qarth is in a prime position to benefit from the luxury goods trade between western Essos and eastern Essos.

Except Yi Ti is basically China, the biggest and wealthiest empire around, with obviously a good technological level to boot - and was at the very least the equal of Valyria at its peak, like Han China was to the Roman Empire.

In this regard, Qarth would basically be where India is in our world.

Oh yes that makes sense. I'm well and truly convinced, I think. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Except Yi Ti is basically China, the biggest and wealthiest empire around, with obviously a good technological level to boot - and was at the very least the equal of Valyria at its peak, like Han China was to the Roman Empire.

In this regard, Qarth would basically be where India is in our world.

Do you mean the geographical position of India in our world? Even so India is not analogous to Qarth as the Indian subcontinent was much larger and vaster with various terrains and Qarth is in no way described as sounding like ancient India.

In terms of the age of civilizations which was what the OP's comment about Qarth was, Qarth cannot be compared to India. The Indian civilization is as old or even older than the Chinese civilization. Ever heard of the Harrapan civilization? And India was the center of trade in later Greek and Roman times not because it gave access to China or Chinese goods but because India itself was a wealth of resources and riches.

Do you mean the geographical position of India in our world? Even so India is not analogous to Qarth as the Indian subcontinent was much larger and vaster with various terrains and Qarth is in no way described as sounding like ancient India.

In terms of the age of civilizations which was what the OP's comment about Qarth was, Qarth cannot be compared to India. The Indian civilization is as old or even older than the Chinese civilization. Ever heard of the Harrapan civilization? And India was the center of trade in later Greek and Roman times not because it gave access to China or Chinese goods but because India itself was a wealth of resources and riches.

The Indus Valley Civilization wasn't exactly an ancestor of modern Indian civilization...

The Indus Valley Civilization wasn't exactly an ancestor of modern Indian civilization...

Archaelogists and historians postulate that the Harippan civilization moved to south India. there's commonalities in the dravidian script and that of the Indus valley civilization. So yes, it may not be part of the Aryan civilization that followed but they were still part of Indian civilization. And I don't know what you mean by modern Indian civilization.

Quarth also reminds me Bagdad

The Mesopotamian civilization (Iraq) is considered the oldest known civilization hence why it's called the cradle of civilization. So if as the OP argued that Qarth is not one of the oldest civilizations in AWOIAF, then it can't be Iraq.

Really? Wikipedia is your source. Well even if you used wikipedia, they are talking about the founding of the present city of Baghdad post Islamic conquest. Baghdad was settled long before and you would see that if you read the wiki article further. Again, Baghdad is in Iraq that was once called Babylon or Mesopotamia, which are very ancient civilizations.

Archaelogists and historians postulate that the Harippan civilization moved to south India. there's commonalities in the dravidian script and that of the Indus valley civilization. So yes, it may not be part of the Aryan civilization that followed but they were still part of Indian civilization. And I don't know what you mean by modern Indian civilization.

That could be true, but right now it's just postulation based on a few commonalities, whereas (in contrast) the early Yellow River civilization is very clearly the antecedent of later Chinese society.

Archived