The Gold of Casterly Rock

rozemarijn

On page 198 we have some information about why the Valyrians never tried to contact/ conquer Casterly Rock. They give two explanations, one of which by septon Barth who claims to have read a text that "the Freehold's sorcerers foretold that the gold of Casterly rock would destroy them"

The fun part is Valyria has been destroyed and we have no clue why, but we are told we will find out.

Anyone an idea?

Maybe the gold of Casterly Rock will destroy Daenerys, the last dragonrider?

Or maybe its all Lannister propaganda. Yandel is quite pro-Lannister.

I agree there must be a link with todays events and it may not be the doom which is meant but the last Targaryens.

There is also this, about Brightroar:

it came in the possession of the Lannister kings in the century before the Doom, and it is said that the weight of gold they paid for it would have been enough to raise an army

So a huge amount of Lannister money goes to Valyria and after that, the doom.

After the doom Tommen II sails to Valyria, after him Gerion would try the same.

Maybe the gold of Casterly Rock will destroy Daenerys, the last dragonrider?

Or maybe its all Lannister propaganda. Yandel is quite pro-Lannister.

I agree there must be a link with todays events and it may not be the doom which is meant but the last Targaryens.

There is also this, about Brightroar:

it came in the possession of the Lannister kings in the century before the Doom, and it is said that the weight of gold they paid for it would have been enough to raise an army

So a huge amount of Lannister money goes to Valyria and after that, the doom.

After the doom Tommen II sails to Valyria, after him Gerion would try the same.

We do have a clue why. It's very very heavily implied that the Faceless Men were responsible.

I've seen a theory somewhere that Faceless Men were hired for Lannister gold with what Lannisters bought Brightroar. Thus, fulfilling the prophecy.

IIRC most if not all Valyrian steel swords that we are given a date of acquisition for were acquired in the centuries (rather than millennia) before the Doom. Did it cost the Lannisters more to acquire theirs than the Starks or others to acquire theirs? Did acquiring Valyrian steel work something like hiring a FM, rather than going for around the same price no matter who was buying it?

1) Ambitious valyrian family wants to take out rival houses

2) Sells a Valyrian steel sword to the Lannisters in exchange for enough gold to hire an army

3) with that gold, they hire FM to take out fire sorcerers

4) Their death destabilize the spells that kept the fires going..

5) Boom

I like this.

IIRC most if not all Valyrian steel swords that we are given a date of acquisition for were acquired in the centuries (rather than millennia) before the Doom. Did it cost the Lannisters more to acquire theirs than the Starks or others to acquire theirs? Did acquiring Valyrian steel work something like hiring a FM, rather than going for around the same price no matter who was buying it?

Lady Forlorn seems to be significantly older that those two.

2) Sells a Valyrian steel sword to the Lannisters in exchange for enough gold to hire an army

5) Boom

That sounds quite possible

I am sure the name, like Ice, is much older than the Valyrian steel version that carries the name now. But what indication is there that the VS LF is any older? Ran said the reference to it being VS in the world book is a mistake.

Ah okay, I didn't know. Time-wise it did really seem off.

"there seems no evidence that the dragonlords ever made contact with the lords of the Rock, Casterly or Lannister" perhaps because of "a Valyrian text that has since been lost, suggesting that the Freehold’s sorcerers foretold that the gold of Casterly Rock would destroy them"

Couldn't it just refer to the Lannisters' role in Robert's rebellion and the Targaryens' subsequent fall from power? I don't think it necessarily refers to the Doom.

Ancient records are not that reliable, and in Westeros written thousands of years after events they describe took Place (stories about Valyrians trading in Old Town before Valyria existed is one obvious example of errors in the historical narrative). The easy explanation why the Valyrians never took Westeros was overextension. Of course if they really wanted they could easily have raided Casterly Rock and taken some of that gold back to Valyria.

Maybe its about Tywin killing Elia and her children, although that wasn't the end of Valyria unless Daenerys is a fake :p. It would be cool that Tywin Lannister scared the shit out of the most powerful empire before he was even born :). But I like LordToo-Fat-to-Sit-a-Horse's explanation

5) Boom

4) The payment for the gift isn't always monetary. It would have to be a really staggering amount of money and possibly for the plan to coincide with FM's interests for this to work. Other than this - :thumbsup:

Archived