US Politics: Election Day 2014

Ser Scot A Ellison

I live in NC. I worked some on this. Personally, I've had differences with Hagans people, but this was her best political effort. Let's not get ahead of a real post mortem. Black turnout was huge in early voting and looked strong today. She had decent messaging, great funding, a good operation, and I've not heard horror stories. I lived through Jesse Helms, and there are places in NC you can't lose by wide margins. Western NC you need to pull 40% in a lot of lily white, rural places. And you have to compete in Wake County very well. What the target is changes, but she most likely lost the white , non-college vote by more than 2-1. It's the second midterm of a sitting President in a state that went against his reelection.

I had the poll worker tell me I needed a license to vote in 2016 and I didn't yell at her. The voting Armageddon isn't here, yet.

Is there a difference between lilly white, and white?

I disagree, and you would find that many other women would also disagree. Joni Ernst should not get to decide for me what kind of contraception methods I am comfortable with or what happens inside my uterus.

And the minimum wage has a disproportionate effect on women.

I respect that and I would say a lot of people feel that the government shouldn't decide. I'll have to check out her policies (Suttree... All of them) but I'm not in favor of an all out ban on birth control. I just don't believe the ACA got it right.

I respect that and I would say a lot of people feel that the government shouldn't decide. I'll have to check out her policies (Suttree... All of them) but I'm not in favor of an all out ban on birth control. I just don't believe the ACA got it right.

From my very quick inter web search, she looks to be inline with Hobby Lobby's policy.

OK, well those are party positions and I'm sure her personal beliefs. But betraying women.... If she was for the sex trade, that would be betraying women. If she gave her victory speech in a ray rice jersey that would be betraying women. Defining a person at conception isn't betraying women, it's honoring children and saving lives. I don't see how minimum wage is relevant to betraying exclusively women.

The fact that the minimum wage isn't a living wage, in a country where the average cost of daycare is just under $12,000 and in that same country, single mothers make around $26,000 on average; it can be seen as betraying women to oppose raising the minimum wage.

Is there a difference between lilly white, and white?

Yes. Describing southern population patterns and political leanings often hinges on the racial breakdown of regions. Eastern NC has large rural "black belts" residual from plantations. The interstate cities are urban areas with a mix of native born nc people, transplants, and large Hispanic populations. Getting into the mountains there were few plantations, little immigration, and few black people. It's more like Kentucky, Wv, Eastern Tennessee, ozarks, etc. When you say lily white, it's an area that asserts a "white" cultural agenda, hostile to other races. A white suburb is just white.

Yes. Describing southern population patterns and political leanings often hinges on the racial breakdown of regions. Eastern NC has large rural "black belts" residual from plantations. The interstate cities are urban areas with a mix of native born nc people, transplants, and large Hispanic populations. Getting into the mountains there were few plantations, little immigration, and few black people. It's more like Kentucky, Wv, Eastern Tennessee, ozarks, etc.

can't they just be white?

To be fair, I don't think she opposes all birth control, more of like a Hobby Lobby-type demarcation. But to my mind, putting down arbitrary restrictions based solely on your own beliefs and not medical facts makes a mighty thin line between between some/all BC.

She is just overall a very conservative, traditional candidate (can't remember off the top of my head the exact circumstances but believe she endorsed the biblical standard of women submitting to their husbands) that seems to have a "I did okay so eff the rest of you" attitude towards other women.

To be fair, I don't think she opposes all birth control, more of like a Hobby Lobby-type demarcation. But to my mind, putting down arbitrary restrictions based solely on your own beliefs and not medical facts makes a mighty thin line between between some/all BC.

She is just overall a very conservative, traditional candidate (can't remember off the top of my head the exact circumstances but believe she endorsed the biblical standard of women submitting to their husbands) that seems to have a "I did okay so eff the rest of you" attitude towards other women.

Hey, if that's not your thing, it's not your thing I guess. Yeah, Peter cleared that birth control claim up for me. The truth's a little different than just she got banning birth control.

Yes, she sided with the Southern Baptists in Iowa. Women should submit to men in all situations. Mega church pastors go one way and another, but she has taken money and endorsements from a lot. Religion in Iowa is highly political on account of the Caucuses. It's also a place a lot of sects run into each other. Backing personhood is Santorum country. She copied the playbook of 2010 by garnering the support of the radical religousity base to win the nomination. Then, she play coy and equivocal in the general.

Yes, she sided with the Southern Baptists in Iowa. Women should submit to men in all situations. Mega church pastors go one way and another, but she has taken money and endorsements from a lot. Religion in Iowa is highly political on account of the Caucuses. It's also a place a lot of sects run into each other. Backing personhood is Santorum country. She copied the playbook of 2010 by garnering the support of the radical religousity base to win the nomination. Then, she play coy and equivocal in the general.

So would she be considered lilly white?

Archived