US Politics: Election Day 2014

Ser Scot A Ellison

Do the Dems filibuster the shit out of things to save Obama from having to veto everything? That seems like a bad option to me, but that's because the filibuster is absurd to me.

For a bill to come up for a vote it has to achieve cloture. That isn't the same as a filibuster. Cloture requires 60 votes unless it is budget reconciliation. Obama doesn't veto because he is involved in every bill that makes it through Congress. Democrats, before jan 015, would win Senate votes, but they can't get cloture. Nor, can they control the House which is Republican, but more democratic in a parliamentary way.

What will change depends on the will of Senate Republicans competing with Obama's will to veto spending bills with crazy riders. Odds are the government will shut down. Default is also possible. No executive appointments will happen.

[MOD]

A thread derail has been deleted. It seems it is necessary to post an extract from the forum rules by way of reminder:

Especially do not use terms or references that other boarders have told you they find offensive, no matter whether you meant them to offend or not, or whether you yourself find them offensive or not, or even whether you feel they are just the 'simple truth'. Offence is often in the eye of the beholder: and persisting in expressing yourself in a manner others have told you upsets them, and earns you no points in the eyes of the moderators. Find an alternative.

Material that is judged offensive by the mods will be removed. Note that whether you consider it offensive, or are offended by it,is not the test, even if it's a remark directed at you: the test is whether the moderators believe it is offensive in general. This may include gratuitous use of graphic content; hate speech; comments endorsing certain illegal activities; personal attacks on other boarders; or links to sites promoting hate speech or illegal activities. We define 'hate speech' to include (but not be limited to) attacks on groups or individuals on the basis of skin colour, race, ethnicity, sex, gender, sexuality, disability status, or age.

Those that want to continue that discussion can take it to PM.

Otherwise, there is too much personal sniping going on in this thread, whether by oblique shots or direct.

[/MOD]

That actually is a very good question, but there's the flip side too about how the GOP tries to play this and also whether there's an intra-party struggle between the establishment and the Ted Cruz wing.

I follow politics to an unhealthy degree, and I don't really have a strong feeling about where it goes.

And Coakley loses Massachusetts and Brownback wins in Kansas. Wow. This is so bad as to be hard to figure out.

I'm not sure why Coakley got a second chance? Is she a Kennedy somehow? How bad off is the Democratic Party in Massachusetts?

Brownback was always a tough fight. Kansas is ground zero for evangelical Christianity and the first in the nation's history to be solid R after the horror of Bleeeding Kansas and The Civil War. It's like a Southern state before the civil rights act. Brown back changed it from a polite R to a foaming R, but that just wasn't enough.

That actually is a very good question, but there's the flip side too about how the GOP tries to play this and also whether there's an intra-party struggle between the establishment and the Ted Cruz wing.

I follow politics to an unhealthy degree, and I don't really have a strong feeling about where it goes.

And Coakley loses Massachusetts and Brownback wins in Kansas. Wow. This is so bad as to be hard to figure out.

Ugh Ted Cruz. Said that R control of senate means they can finally move forward with meaningful hearings on Obama (IRS, Benghazi, blah blah blah). So apparently he's doubling down on "our agenda is only down with Obama".

It isn't hard to figure out. Democrats have no conviction.

They didn't run on the massive successes of the past six years because they were afraid of losing and as a result they stood for nothing and lost: as you would expect a party of bleeting whinging idiots fullof empty excuses, whose only proffered reason to elect them is because they are the vote for not republican.

defend yourself! instead of getting killed whilst offering plaintively pathetic nonsense about math and fundamentals: when you had conviction when you had a platform in86, 06 or 98, you won. When you didn't even try to fight like in 04, 10 or 14 you get fucking murdered.

Congratulations are in order to future president ernst.

Ugh Ted Cruz. Said that R control of senate means they can finally move forward with meaningful hearings on Obama (IRS, Benghazi, blah blah blah). So apparently he's doubling down on "our agenda is only down with Obama".

I don't know about that now... Forget healthcare and taxes for a second. The IRS scandal and Benghazi should certainly be investigated further. Along with the justice department. Potential serious criminal activity has been basically sweep under the rug. This issue should be investigate. Seriously investigated.

Would you like to elaborate on how she betrayed women? Or is it just because she's conservative? Instead of celebrating this WOMANS achievement in the name of women, you joke about her being castrated? Then pyscho babble and try to rationalize the statement, instead of just saying i shouldn't have days that...Like you said, everyone hates a hypocrite.

Banning birth control. Opposing equal pay. The party of Todd Aiken. What if the Army paid her 70% of a male colonel commanding the same unit? The Military has rules on pregnancy and deployment. If she is pregnant or in jail for zygote murder how does she make rank? If she gets raped and her CO says tough, I need your rapist, I'm dismissing the charges, go cry at home, she has ZERO recourse. She goes to churches who would pass laws prohibiting men from being under the authority of a woman. Everything she has came from crazy, whining liberals, and she spat on it.

Yeah he's context challenged for sure.

"Context is weak man". Sound familiar? You sir are the king of the amusingly hypocritical posts. So care to address those quotes?

@peterbound

It is cute when you try and backtrack. Almost as cute as the narcissistic moments like that Stevan Segal-esque defense video you "forgot" you were in. Good times.

Care to explain what context was lost here?

only making the GOP look more like the outdated, uninformed, and bigoted fools that they are.

Anyway piggy backing on that NY Times article. RR weighs in on the results:

Looks like the Republicans will now run Congress, but their entire campaign was focused on repudiating Barack Obama, who wasn't on the ballot and won't be on one again. They didn't offer a single new idea, no constructive proposal, no suggestion for moving the country forward. Can they possibly govern? Are they even interested in governing?

Banning birth control. Opposing equal pay. The party of Todd Aiken. What if the Army paid her 70% of a male colonel commanding the same unit? The Military has rules on pregnancy and deployment. If she is pregnant or in jail for zygote murder how does she make rank? If she gets raped and her CO says tough, I need your rapist, I'm dismissing the charges, go cry at home, she has ZERO recourse. She goes to churches who would pass laws prohibiting men from being under the authority of a woman. Everything she has came from crazy, whining liberals, and she spat on it.

This post makes zero sense.

Seriously. Try and form a thought here. I'm honestly curious about what you are trying to say, but you sound a little unhinged.

I was asking because I'm not familiar with the specifics of that race. Is she really trying to ban birth control? Or is that just the ACA situation?

Would you like to elaborate on how she betrayed women? Or is it just because she's conservative? Instead of celebrating this WOMANS achievement in the name of women, you joke about her being castrated? Then pyscho babble and try to rationalize the statement, instead of just saying i shouldn't have days that...Like you said, everyone hates a hypocrite.

I think it's pretty telling that Ernst had a 49-48 edge among women but something like 15 points advantage with men. For a woman candidate, she must have some clear anti-woman stances for those numbers to play out. Foremost: she sponsored a personhood amendment to the state constitution to define a "person" at conception and said that such an amendment, if it passed, should be used to punish abortion providers. She also opposes raising the minimum wage--in fact she opposes the federal minimum wage at all--and supports policies such as defunding Planned Parenthood, etc.

"Context is weak man". Sound familiar? You sir are the king of the amusingly hypocritical posts.

@peterbound

It is cute when you try and backtrack. Almost as cute as the narcissistic moments like that Stevan Segal-esque "defense" video you "forgot" you were in. Good times.

Wow,

You are obsessed with me.

I'm not sure if I should be flattered or disturbed.

Fuck it. I'll be flattered.

Also. That video was filmed in '10 on one of my r&r's from Iraq. I'm no longer affiliated with the system, and haven't been back since that video. So sorry if I didn't remember it being posted on his site.

Flattered.

All appointments end in the new senate.

Republicans will keep the Senate in 2016 because you theyre winning tons of state houses this year.

north Carolinas seat flipped because of the apartheid voter purge and repression schemes tillis put in place. Republicans will use north Carolina as a model to force their sharia voting restrictions on every statehouse they capture this year. That will probably be enough to guarantee them the presidency and a lot of 2016 senate seats.

2016 will be expensive but congressional races alone will more than double 2014s record and all that dark money will help bury democrats further.

Roberts will continue to use the courts to strip away voting rights and his next target will be getting rid of equal rights legal protection.

"Context is weak man". Sound familiar? You sir are the king of the amusingly hypocritical posts. So care to address those quotes?

@peterbound

It is cute when you try and backtrack. Almost as cute as the narcissistic moments like that Stevan Segal-esque defense video you "forgot" you were in. Good times.

So you don't expect Obama to get bills? I think it will be the exact opposite. I said earlier, I don't believe the Republicans will screw up like they did last time around. I definitely hope they don't turn around and do the exact same thing the dems did, just to get booted two years from now.

I was asking because I'm not familiar with the specifics of that race. Is she really trying to ban birth control? Or is that just the ACA situation?

Personhood is conception. The pill is illegal. IUDS illegal. Spermacide on condoms and diaphragms would be a grey area. Most birth control doesn't stop fertilization, only implanting in the uterus.

The ACA argument is "religious liberty" is infringed if your employer can't decide what is in your health care.

Just wait. It's sinking in now but in a few days..... Meltdown

Hey, I might actually agree with the guy if I actually knew what the fuck he is talking about.

I'm just not sure why he thinks a woman serving, and making rank makes her a betrayer of her sex.

I think it's pretty telling that Ernst had a 49-48 edge among women but something like 15 points advantage with men. For a woman candidate, she must have some clear anti-woman stances for those numbers to play out. Foremost: she sponsored a personhood amendment to the state constitution to define a "person" at conception and said that such an amendment, if it passed, should be used to punish abortion providers. She also opposes raising the minimum wage--in fact she opposes the federal minimum wage at all--and supports policies such as defunding Planned Parenthood, etc.

OK, well those are party positions and I'm sure her personal beliefs. But betraying women.... If she was for the sex trade, that would be betraying women. If she gave her victory speech in a ray rice jersey that would be betraying women. Defining a person at conception isn't betraying women, it's honoring children and saving lives. I don't see how minimum wage is relevant to betraying exclusively women.

OK, well those are party positions and I'm sure her personal beliefs. But betraying women.... If she was for the sex trade, that would be betraying women. If she gave her victory speech in a ray rice jersey that would be betraying women. Defining a person at conception isn't betraying women, it's honoring children and saving lives. I don't see how minimum wage is relevant to betraying exclusively women.

I disagree, and you would find that many other women would also disagree. Joni Ernst should not get to decide for me what kind of contraception methods I am comfortable with or what happens inside my uterus.

And the minimum wage has a disproportionate effect on women.

All appointments end in the new senate.

Republicans will keep the Senate in 2016 because you theyre winning tons of state houses this year.

north Carolinas seat flipped because of the apartheid voter purge and repression schemes tillis put in place. Republicans will use north Carolina as a model to force their sharia voting restrictions on every statehouse they capture this year. That will probably be enough to guarantee them the presidency and a lot of 2016 senate seats.

2016 will be expensive but congressional races alone will more than double 2014s record and all that dark money will help bury democrats further.

Roberts will continue to use the courts to strip away voting tights and his next target will be getting rid of equal rights legal protection.

I live in NC. I worked some on this. Personally, I've had differences with Hagans people, but this was her best political effort. Let's not get ahead of a real post mortem. Black turnout was huge in early voting and looked strong today. She had decent messaging, great funding, a good operation, and I've not heard horror stories. I lived through Jesse Helms, and there are places in NC you can't lose by wide margins. Western NC you need to pull 40% in a lot of lily white, rural places. And you have to compete in Wake County very well. What the target is changes, but she most likely lost the white , non-college vote by more than 2-1. It's the second midterm of a sitting President in a state that went against his reelection.

I had the poll worker tell me I needed a license to vote in 2016 and I didn't yell at her. The voting Armageddon isn't here, yet.

Archived