Valyrian/Dragonlord blood is needed to tame/subdue dragons

it's impossible to have 100% Targ blood now since marriage's to Danye's, blackwood's,martell's and arryns make that pretty impossible

Viserys II Targaryen was unable to hatch a fresh dragon egg due to his grand mother not being a targ but an arryn if this theory is true. and the current targ line is magnitudes more out-breed than back then but i'm pretty sure back in the day's of old valyria when banging if not your sis then some close member or branch of the family was a must. the chance you were born a Dragonrider was in all likely hood a was a guarantee.

If Tyrion and Brown Ben were cousins, this would already have come up. After all, they spent quite a lot of time together, and the 'You don't want to become a kinslayer' card would have come up during the conversations between Brown Ben and Tyrion about the latter's fate.

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps it literally is the blood. Human blood comes in types A, B and O. Perhaps whatever blood magic ritual was used to bond the dragons to the Targaryens created a mutant blood type that only the dragons and the Targs have. Similarly other Valyrian dragonlords, blood magic creates a magical dragonblood type unique to that family and a family of dragons.

Call it type D blood.

Perhaps it requires death of a family member to create D-blood, as well as the death of a dragon which has laid eggs available. The bloods of the two mix, presto-chango -- dragonblood -- and magically transubstantiates all living family members to have D-blood.

Perhaps it literally is the blood. Human blood comes in types A, B and O. Perhaps whatever blood magic ritual was used to bond the dragons to the Targaryens created a mutant blood type that only the dragons and the Targs have. Similarly other Valyrian dragonlords, blood magic creates a magical dragonblood type unique to that family and a family of dragons.

Call it type D blood.

Perhaps it requires death of a family member to create D-blood, as well as the death of a dragon which has laid eggs available. The bloods of the two mix, presto-chango -- dragonblood -- and magically transubstantiates all living family members to have D-blood.

Yes this is more or less what I think as well. That through sorcery and a pyre-like situation way back when the Targ's first bonded with their dragons, they created something in their blood which is connected with the dragons bound to the Targaryen family. So any descendants of the human Targs or descendants of the Targ dragons will also have this 'D blood' (i like that :cool4: ). Which is why inbreeding becomes vital if they want to keep their dragons bound to their bloodline.

That through sorcery and a pyre-like situation way back when the Targ's first bonded with their dragons, they created something in their blood which is connected with the dragons bound to the Targaryen family. So any descendants of the human Targs or descendants of the Targ dragons will also have this 'D blood' (i like that :cool4: ). Which is why inbreeding becomes vital if they want to keep their dragons bound to their bloodline.

Are Daenerys´ dragons and their descendants bound to Daenerys and her descendants (if she ever has any), to the exclusion of her Targaryen collaterals like Aegon, Martells or Plumms?

Are Daenerys´ dragons and their descendants bound to Daenerys and her descendants (if she ever has any), to the exclusion of her Targaryen collaterals like Aegon, Martells or Plumms?

The Dunk & Egg stories imply that the Blackfyres have been collecting Targ eggs for decades. The eggs Illyrio gave her were probably those eggs. So it's not necessary for those dragons to have been unbonded from the Targs, Blackfyres, Martells, and Plumms.

On the other hand, if time has unbonded the Targ dragons from the Targs, then Dany's hatching of the eggs was a completely new blood rite that bonded Drogon, Rhaegal and Viserion to her and her descendants, maybe even to her collateral relatives (Jon and Tyrion :-) ) . Rhaego would have been her blood sacrifice, but Drogo and MMD were also sacrificed. So maybe Drogo's relatives are also bonded? And MMD's relatives? I'm doubting that.

So it's not necessary for those dragons to have been unbonded from the Targs, Blackfyres, Martells, and Plumms.

On the other hand, if time has unbonded the Targ dragons from the Targs,

The eggs were from Asshai. Never tamed by Targaryens, nor by any of the other 39 dragonlord houses.

Great question

The Dunk & Egg stories imply that the Blackfyres have been collecting Targ eggs for decades. The eggs Illyrio gave her were probably those eggs. So it's not necessary for those dragons to have been unbonded from the Targs, Blackfyres, Martells, and Plumms.

On the other hand, if time has unbonded the Targ dragons from the Targs, then Dany's hatching of the eggs was a completely new blood rite that bonded Drogon, Rhaegal and Viserion to her and her descendants, maybe even to her collateral relatives (Jon and Tyrion :-) ) . Rhaego would have been her blood sacrifice, but Drogo and MMD were also sacrificed. So maybe Drogo's relatives are also bonded? And MMD's relatives? I'm doubting that.

My opinion is that the three eggs were a fresh batch, not offspring of the Targaryen dragons. So the 3 of them are bonded to Dany and her bloodline. So people closely related to her (who share blood with her) will be the ones able to ride. This would include Jon and Tyrion and Stannis/Shireen (to a lesser degree) and BBP, that we know of, there could be more out there in obscurity, although it seems a little late in the series to introduce a new Targaryen.

If fAegon is indeed a Blackfyre and descendant from Maelys, then he would be 8 generations removed from a common ancestor with Dany (Aegon IV). So this could be far too little for him to have a substantial amount of 'Blood of the Dragon'. Quentyn would also be about this distantly related to Dany as well, and we saw his ability to tame a dragon. Basically the more blood you share with Dany the better your odds are to ride one of her dragons (this excludes the dragon binding horn of course, none of us knows what it will do).

This is why TYrion tells BBP that he knows why the dragons like BBP, because he (most likely) has 2 Targaryen Great-grandparents, making him 1/4 Targ.

So according to Tyrion the dragons could possibly serve as a paternity test for fAegon, that's what I think will happen anyway. Could be wrong of course,

The eggs were from Asshai. Never tamed by Targaryens, nor by any of the other 39 dragonlord houses.

Yes the eggs are from Asshai, unless you believe Illyrio is lying about their origin, which I do not. And if you do believe he is lying then you must come up with a really good reason considering the circumstances when he shared the 'asshai' info at Dany's wedding. I mean he had no reason to lie at that point. When he gave them to Dany they were fossilized, he had ZERO idea that they might hatch or he would have never given them away.

And if you do believe he is lying then you must come up with a really good reason considering the circumstances when he shared the 'asshai' info at Dany's wedding. I mean he had no reason to lie at that point. When he gave them to Dany they were fossilized, he had ZERO idea that they might hatch or he would have never given them away.

Or would have made sure to give them to Griffin, not Daenerys.

Or would have made sure to give them to Griffin, not Daenerys.

Yeah I think that is proof more than anything that Illyrio really believed the eggs were fossils and that he was genuine when saying where they came from.

Obviously if he had even the slightest idea in the world that the eggs might hatch he would have made sure they went to fAegon and not Dany.

Of course there is a reason to lie about the origin of the eggs. If she learns they're Targ eggs, Dany would have wanted to know how Illlyrio came to possess them, and that could risk uncovering the Blackfyre plot (which I assume as true).

If D-blood is needed to hatch the dragons, Dany is not intended as a future queen, but a blood sacrifice. Perhaps Illyrio was working with Miri Maz Duur towards that end. If any blood sacrifice will do, Blackfyres would still want to get rid of Dany, her child and before he died Viserys, so might as well use them for that. MMD is still there to put that into action. Perhaps a Blackfyre heir had a prophetic dream that the dragons would return in the Dothraki Sea from a mother of dragons, and that there would be three heads of the dragon. Alternatively, marrying Dany to Drogo dilutes the Targ bloodline. If Vary-Illyrio plan doesn't work out, the Targ line is likely to continue being diluted so cannot become future rivals. If Dany is dead but hatches the dragons, Rhaego's D-blood is diluted with Dothraki blood, and Blackfyres might assume they'd have a chance to claim the dragons. There is no reason to assume Illyrio and MMD would know precisely how the D-blood works, and that Blackfyres would be cut out of that new D-blood line (if that speculation is true). Marrying fAegon to Dany is a desperate attempt because they never expected Dany to live.

Of course there is a reason to lie about the origin of the eggs. If she learns they're Targ eggs, Dany would have wanted to know how Illlyrio came to possess them, and that could risk uncovering the Blackfyre plot (which I assume as true).

If D-blood is needed to hatch the dragons, Dany is not intended as a future queen, but a blood sacrifice. Perhaps Illyrio was working with Miri Maz Duur towards that end. If any blood sacrifice will do, Blackfyres would still want to get rid of Dany, her child and before he died Viserys, so might as well use them for that. MMD is still there to put that into action. Perhaps a Blackfyre heir had a prophetic dream that the dragons would return in the Dothraki Sea from a mother of dragons, and that there would be three heads of the dragon. Alternatively, marrying Dany to Drogo dilutes the Targ bloodline. If Vary-Illyrio plan doesn't work out, the Targ line is likely to continue being diluted so cannot become future rivals. If Dany is dead but hatches the dragons, Rhaego's D-blood is diluted with Dothraki blood, and Blackfyres might assume they'd have a chance to claim the dragons. There is no reason to assume Illyrio and MMD would know precisely how the D-blood works, and that Blackfyres would be cut out of that new D-blood line (if that speculation is true). Marrying fAegon to Dany is a desperate attempt because they never expected Dany to live.

???

that's impossible as Drogo's khalasar just randomly came upon the Lazarhene village that MMD was a part of. There is no way her and Illyrio were working together.

The eggs were fossilized, just pretty decoration, that's all.

I think it's far more likely that they are eggs Varys smuggled out of the Red Keep in the aftermath of the Sack. From the worldbook:

[Aerys II's] attempts to bring forth dragons from eggs found in the depths of Dragonstone (some so old that they had turned to stone) yielded naught, however.

He probably gave Daenerys the stone ones and saved the normal ones for Aegon. Otherwise it's just a mystery what happened to these eggs that Aerys failed to hatch.

The Dunk & Egg stories imply that the Blackfyres have been collecting Targ eggs for decades.

Do they? I only seem to recall one egg in the hands of Blackfyre supporters and it ended up with Bloodraven.

???

that's impossible as Drogo's khalasar just randomly came upon the Lazarhene village that MMD was a part of. There is no way her and Illyrio were working together.

The eggs were fossilized, just pretty decoration, that's all.

actually, the village was on the wrong side of the river. It was bound to get sacked eventually. and you don't think that the of four people that illyrio sent not one of them could have been spying on them.

an egg only becomes fossilized when it's been out of commission for years.

actually, the village was on the wrong side of the river. It was bound to get sacked eventually. and you don't think that the of four people that illyrio sent not one of them could have been spying on them.

an egg only becomes fossilized when it's been out of commission for years.

Say again? What spies? What four people?

Yes and that is exactly what these were, Fossilzed eggs that are 'eons' old from Asshai. Straight out of Illyrio's mouth at Dany's wedding. The eggs were fossilized, making what Dany did all the more impressive, not only did she walk into a fire unburnt and bring back dragons after they have been extinct for 150 years, but she brought them back from fossilized 'rock' eggs. She is the only who could feel the heat in them, as confirmed by Jorah.

Plus since the dragons were extinct for 150 years, the eggs are at least that old, plenty enough time for them to fossilize.

http://careyjaneclark.com/fast-fossil-form/

I've read several articles that say it does not take millions of years, like many believe.

Say again? What spies? What four people?

Yes and that is exactly what these were, Fossilzed eggs that are 'eons' old from Asshai. Straight out of Illyrio's mouth at Dany's wedding. The eggs were fossilized, making what Dany did all the more impressive, not only did she walk into a fire unburnt and bring back dragons after they have been extinct for 150 years, but she brought them back from fossilized 'rock' eggs. She is the only who could feel the heat in them, as confirmed by Jorah.

Plus since the dragons were extinct for 150 years, the eggs are at least that old, plenty enough time for them to fossilize.

http://careyjaneclark.com/fast-fossil-form/

I've read several articles that say it does not take millions of years, like many believe.

jorah and the handmaids.

we already knew jorah was spying on the targs for robert,

why not for illyrio as well?

you don't have to tell them the exact plan. just how you want them to be involved in it.

I don't think it's necessary.

I think the Targaryens like to think it is, though.

I think Nettles more or less shows dragons can be tamed through normal animal husbandry.

Which would HORRIFY most Targaryens, though.

As it implies any FILTHY PEASANT can.

I don't think it's necessary.

I think the Targaryens like to think it is, though.

I think Nettles more or less shows dragons can be tamed through normal animal husbandry.

Which would HORRIFY most Targaryens, though.

As it implies any FILTHY PEASANT can.

true,but it's much more useful if say your bloodline could naturally do it and bypass all the hassle.

as nettles way seemed the most time consuming.

and depending on how violent said dragon is, you would probably already want a bond to a creature that could and might melt your face off.

true,but it's much more useful if say your bloodline could naturally do it and bypass all the hassle.

as nettles way seemed the most time consuming.

and depending on how violent said dragon is, you would probably already want a bond to a creature that could and might melt your face off.

It's also entirely possible the Targaryens DON'T have any special power over dragons.

Which would be disappointing but apropos to Martin.

It's just a family legend they put a lot of stock in, despite the fact it's gotten plenty of them killed. Like Pentecostal snake-handling families in the USA. Which, as much as I love God, I do not believe possess any real snake-venom immunities from their faith to.

Quentyn puts a lot of stock in his Targaryen blood and it doesn't work out.

Archived