Interstellar 2 - My God, it's full of SPOILERS

williamjm

I call Star Wars a science fiction.

I call bullshit. first of all you have never been to space, so how do you know? second of all God created space and God created sound, so why would they be mutually exclusive? third of all its star wars, silly. lighten up.

Seriously?

I call Star Wars a science fiction.

Most people call Star Wars science fiction. That's because science fiction covers an incredible range of possible stories from scientifically rigurous hard SF to anything with a spaceship in, no matter how outlandish.

But it opens with, essentially, 'once upon a time in a land far far away'. If the wizards, prophecies and magic swords didn't clue you in as to what it is, that should have.

God created you as well, and he loves you even if you are a silence-in-the-void believing heathen =) 

What are you even talking about? Are you carrying something Mithras said in some other thread over to here? Why?

What are you even talking about? Are you carrying something Mithras said in some other thread over to here? Why?

he went off about how there is no sound in space. in this thread. i found it funny so im taking the piss. 

you ok with that sir? 

The repeated poking felt... off and personal for some reason. /shrug

Carry on, wayward son.

guess I'm not as funny irl as I am in my head? but seriously, criticism of SW for not getting it's science right is like racing a man with with no legs and then bragging about winning.

but seriously, criticism of SW for not getting it's science right is like racing a man with with no legs and then bragging about winning.

Agreed. :)

I love SW, and can't imagine it without the screaming TIE fighters and explosion, but yeah. Not real.

guess I'm not as funny irl as I am in my head? but seriously, criticism of SW for not getting it's science right is like racing a man with with no legs and then bragging about winning.

It was just used as a comparison to show how realistic Interstellar's physics is compared to other sci-fi-movies, because sci-fi-movies aren't usually very realistic when it comes to ... well, science. And since Star Wars is probably the most well-known sci-fi-franchise, it was chosen for this comparison and I don't see what's the problem with that.

Star Wars is only an appropriate reference point if you're talking to folk who don't really know about genre stuffs. The crowd on a GRRM message board? We expect a little better than that.

Archived