Why the conquest? TWOIAF spoilers

Have WMDs , will travel of course. They saw, they wanted, they took.

Actually, Aegon set that incident up himself. He wanted an excuse for his invasion.

Add on top of these he had ambition, for more then just the Narrow Sea islands.

Also add on top he knew he was one of the last of a race of Dragonlords, he might have felt that he deserved such a kingdom. He also might have a bit of a superiority complex, I don't think its a coincidence that you can't spell targearyan without Aryan.

He had to. Argilac had a better chance of winning that war than of surviving his nobles disapprovement if he swallowed that particular toad.

I don't think punishing envoys is ever an appropriate response for a ruler. I can't think of any historical example where that worked out well

Actually, Aegon set that incident up himself. He wanted an excuse for his invasion.

Lovely excuse. Arryns, Gardeners, Lannisters, Starks and Martells still had done him no wrong. OK, Hoares perhaps had because they assumed he had the excuse to ally with Argilac against Harren.

Problem for Argilac was that the Targs, styled as Lord of a Rock off the coast were so small fry they didn't have particular enemies to marry his daughter to, to give them pause. He wasn't about to give her to Iron Born and basically give them his Kingdom. They have dragons but they've been on Dragonstone for ages and never used them, who will he convince about a threat? Dorne has been an enemy to the Stormlands, so has the Reach so marrying her to either of them would not make the bannermen pleased. War was his best option.

Because Prophecy, obviously.

Not sure if you mean this sarcastically, but it seems to me that prophecy may be a big part of the answer. Same reason why the Targaryens had left Valyria in the first place and settled on this dreary, far-away outpost called Dragonstone.

I've been thinking lately that perhaps Aegon did indeed entertain the idea that he was tPtwP. 'The Dragon Must Have 3 Heads' is usually interpreted as a reference to Aegon and his sisters, but perhaps it predates them? Perhaps Aegon - being the first Targaryen with two wives, who both happened to be dragon riders, for quite a long time - interpreted the 3 Heads line as referring to him and his wives. If he did believe this, presumably he stopped later in life, as he never tried to go beyond the wall or anything (though his visit to the North could have had a double purpose).

Archived