Exercise and Fitness: Keep the Car Running

OnionAhaiReborn

I can think of one possible advantage of a low carb diet is that when the person after the time starts carbs again the body could react very positively. If I do exactly the same exercise 14 days in a row I lose enthusiasm, I can see the body reacting to a 'new' good stimulus positively, it's way of signaling for more.

Quite the opposite, when it comes to food. It's the initial switchover that the body struggles to adapt to. Once you hit your groove, low/no-carb is fine.

Quite the opposite, when it comes to food. It's the initial switchover that the body struggles to adapt to. Once you hit your groove, low/no-carb is fine.

Why would the body automatically struggle? The groove is the overall not the specific, I can have an initial exercise adjustment learning a new route for instance I certainly feel great once it's learnt; then I can after a repetition over 10+ days get less enthusiastic, I then move back to one of my previous routes, the cycle continues and I will come back and revisit with new enthusiasm.

I can see a parallel with any no certain thing diet: no/low complex carbs, or no/low simple carbs, or no/low protein. I was vegetarian for several years got me some gains when I brought back in fish, chicken and occasional red meat.

Once upon a time I struggled to eat one big scotch egg now I eat 4 with ease lol.

When you say "sprint", how do you determine that?

Have you done some testing at 2k or any other distance and base your splits relative to that?

Or do you wing it?

I'm no pro. My 250m sprint split time is around 1:55.

I just did 7500m on Monday and it took almost exactly 34 minutes.

I'm no pro. My 250m sprint split time is around 1:55.

I just did 7500m on Monday and it took almost exactly 34 minutes.

I get that you're no pro. Neither am I, by the way.

If you plan on doing more rowing, I'd suggest you look up some training plans online, do a test and base your splits on that.

It would be more efficient and would reduce the risk of injuries.

We never do 250m sprints.

Last sprint practice was 8*500m, at 30-32 strokes per minute, at average split -2 seconds from our 2k test average split, with 6 minute breaks between sets.

It was grueling.

Luckily, it was not on my schedule so I did something else.

I just row at my Crossfit box. I appreciate the advice but rowing is just one of the exercises we do. I've found the 10 X 250 sprints (usually a 24-26 spm) with a minute rest in between is a solid metcon that gets the poison out of my muscles.

Been going my Crossfit gym for almost a month, still very much in the "self awareness" piece of the program. Some things I've been able to do better than I had expected (shoulder work tends to be better for me), but damn are the weaknesses showing. :) Learning to clean, deadlift, etc. Having the coaches and others there to help is exactly what I needed - getting their insights but just also the encouragement/keep pushing is helping a ton.

How do you balance that with the timed factor? What I'm worried about is having to do new things very slowly or stop and get help, but everyone else is finishing as fast as possible.

Go at your own pace, Ep. It sounds like you could benefit from an On Ramp course. If your box isn't ensuring you, being new, is getting the proper coaching and advice, you may want to find a new box.

Don't be in a rush to workout like the people who have had more experience. That will get you hurt - especially when weights are involved.

Also, everything can be scaled and modified so ask your coaches what they recommend for your strategy as a new person. Again, if they aren't able for whatever reason, definitely find a new box.

Why would the body automatically struggle? The groove is the overall not the specific, I can have an initial exercise adjustment learning a new route for instance I certainly feel great once it's learnt; then I can after a repetition over 10+ days get less enthusiastic, I then move back to one of my previous routes, the cycle continues and I will come back and revisit with new enthusiasm.

I can see a parallel with any no certain thing diet: no/low complex carbs, or no/low simple carbs, or no/low protein. I was vegetarian for several years got me some gains when I brought back in fish, chicken and occasional red meat.

Once upon a time I struggled to eat one big scotch egg now I eat 4 with ease lol.

Because that is how it works. Your body is used to carbs so when you take them away it doesn't react well. After a week or so on zero carbs I feel amazing. It is the initial part that sucks.

When people say "zero carbs" are you actually meaning zero grains and sugars?

Lots of fruits and veggies have carbs! When I am on the No Sugars Alcohols or Grains about 25% of my diet is still carbs.

Now, I have just made the little alteration of a whole grain, rice or potato serving an hour prior to my workouts (in the meal I eat before I go)

Jesus Lany, I haven't seen you in person in a while, you look great.

Thank you! I am certainly enjoying myself too.

I am losing again, and am now at 157...something I have seen in over 14 years

Very impressive Lany!

Thanks :) Been a long tough battle (mostly with myself :P )

I don't know if I consider myself a ''runner'', since I apparently had no idea carbs were really necessary to running. :dunce:

Anyway, I just thought I'd give it a try in case it helped burn my excess fat more quickly. As it happens, I'm not doing very well :laugh: :worried: It's only been like 3 days and I have neither the finance or lifestyle to support a low-carb diet. Lifestyle will be different when I get back to university, but finance remains the same.

That's really inspiring, Lany. Well done! :cheers:

Inigima, that climbing thing looks really cool.

It does cost a lot more to eat low carb, but can be worth it

Thanks! I hope I can inspire and encourage others....after I am 50 and been over weight for 14 years

Moar rowing. Seriously. 10 X 250m sprint rows (mind the technique) with a minute rest between sprints has been my go-to muscle soreness reliever. Gets all the junk out.

ETA: Tabata Times: Crimes Against Rowing part 1 Crimes Against Rowing part 2

Thanks. I do start my warm ups with rowing, but never thought about it for soreness reliever. I will try it next time

2 months into my new fitness challenge has some mixed results.

The Good: Strength gains have been insane.

The Bad: Weight loss is only at about a pound every 10 days. Oh well.

The Ugly: My diet is a disaster. Thankfully it's no longer an unmitigated disaster.

I guess the last two go hand in hand......

2 months into my new fitness challenge has some mixed results.

The Good: Strength gains have been insane.

The Bad: Weight loss is only at about a pound every 10 days. Oh well.

The Ugly: My diet is a disaster. Thankfully it's no longer an unmitigated disaster.

I guess the last two go hand in hand......

Keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat (if I remember correctly, muscle weighs ~40% more than the same volume of fat).

If you're working out an have gained strength, than you've certainly gained some muscle mass which makes your fat loss look a bit worse than it is.

I've lost about 4kgs in 7 months or so since I went back to rowing and the difference I'm noticing in my body before and now are huge.

For example, the fat around my stomach is mostly gone and even my abs are starting to show, my chest, shoulders and legs are a bit bulkier and stuff like that.

Today was my long run day. Planned out a nice 6 miler on the beach, went in the late afternoon. Had a pretty nice run, finally shambled to a halt--but turns out I missed a turn at the end. I kept walking and walking to get back to the parking lot, and by the time I realized I was going the wrong direction, I was almost a mile away. Had to turn around and walk back, and by this point the sun was almost setting and I was freezing my ass off. Ugh, dummy me!

Leg Day!

Or, as rowers call it - every single training! ;)

We had a nice club meeting today, where we discussed which regattas/heads/races we'll enter this season.

It sounds like a lot of fun. Hopefully, I'll be able to go to at least one.

I only row to warm up...I think it would be maddening if it were the focus of my training :lol: (but I'm rather ADD, so I like lots of variety)

Think I am getting closer to the right weights on the legs...still managed my 3 sets of 12 on everything, but that last set was hard on a few. Next time it will be:

Squat: 75 lbs

Dead lift: 70

Leg extenstion: 100

Sitting leg curl: 105

calf thingy: 140 (legs straight, flex the foot thing)

lunges with 40lbs (20 each hand--3 sets of 30)

I should hit the failure point on a couple of these next week (unless I am just really underestimating myself)

Archived