Exercise and Fitness: Keep the Car Running

OnionAhaiReborn

I am not familiar with the pre workout drink you mentioned but my gut feeling is you'd want something heavier on the simple carbs since they absorb faster and can be used by your body right away. But timing is important too because if you drink this too early the carbs will start to get converted. You will need to do a few trials to find what works beat for your body.

Fair enough. The first thing I'll try is a bit of pasta and fruit about 1.5h before working out. Thanks for the tips!

Dear dudes at the gym (possibly also ladies, but I've never yet seen a woman do this) - the unisex bathrooms are not urinals. The stall has a door for a reason, please close it. Also wash your hands, that's just gross.

What's the point of this post?

What are the chances that the offender from your gym is a board member and will read this thread?

What's the point of this post?

What are the chances that the offender from your gym is a board member and will read this thread?

We just had a four page thread about whether a guy was justified to fart in some woman's face - it seems fairly clear that there's not much point to any post. I just find it annoying when people think that normal standards of bathroom behaviour and hygiene don't apply at the gym, that's all.

KiDisaster -- bikes run on their components. Your interface with the bike will be through the shifters, gearsets, derailleurs, and brakes. The frame isn't as important. So in the range you are looking at, the brand written on the frame isn't nearly as important as the component set (don't get too caught up in brands, especially with metal frames). Most are shimano or sram, and you'll find it's like a ford vs chevy debate. You'll want to pick a style that works for you. In your case you are probably looking at a road bike or a hybrid. I would not get a mountain bike unless you are riding trails.

For smooth roads and good trails, road bikes are really nice. You move quickly and can cover a lot of miles during your rides. I enjoy riding my road bike much more than the hybrid I used to have. But have to be careful about the surfaces you are rolling over. For a road bike fit is everything and you are better off researching component packages in your price range and how to properly fit a bike to you. If you get a frame too big or too small, you won't like it. You'll probably pay more, compared to a hybrid. If you really enjoy being on a bike and covering miles, this is the best choice.

For variable terrain and more casual riding, hybrids are probably a better fit. Especially if you plan on riding on rough surfaces. Fit is less important and you won't be able to cover as many miles. But you can do unpaved stretches, mild trails, and sketchy roads much better. This is the better option if you want something for more casual riding.

My advice: start at a bike store so you can see the different models side by side. Figure out what type of bike you want to get. From there, figure out your price range. Now you start shopping. When you compare bikes, you aren't comparing brands, you are comparing component sets. You'll find which component sets are in your price range and then compare different bikes that use the same or similar sets. This way you can compare used and new bikes of various brands but still be in the same range.

ETA: Regardless of what you get, spend some freaking money on nice bike shorts or underwear with a comfy chamois. The downside of biking is that the seat and seat post function as brutal jackhammers to your taint. Nothing ruins a day faster than a bruised mashed up taint. Protect your junk and you will be a much happier person. You don't have to get some form fitting lycra, either, since they make many different models for those of us (i.e., myself) that should not wear anything form fitting.

We just had a four page thread about whether a guy was justified to fart in some woman's face - it seems fairly clear that there's not much point to any post. I just find it annoying when people think that normal standards of bathroom behaviour and hygiene don't apply at the gym, that's all.

Yes, we did. No denying that.

But this is not that thread.

This thread is about sharing your exercise-related experience and giving/getting support to other people who are in a same boat as you.

If you have an issue with bathroom behavior and standards of hygiene in your gym, this is not the place to raise it and you should rather talk to the offending gym members or gym employees and management.

And, while we're on the subject of other threads, I'm certain there was one about things one hates or is annoyed by which is meant for venting and your previous post would fit perfectly in that one.

And, while we're on the subject of other threads, I'm certain there was one about things one hates or is annoyed by which is meant for venting and your previous post would fit perfectly in that one.

Is there? Perhaps you should post in it about people making insufficiently exercise-related posts in the exercise thread :p That would seem to make more sense than turning one two-line post into four insufficiently exercise-related posts.

We're in the part of our training where we focus on sprints.

5 x 5 minutes today and 8 x 500m tomorrow.

I can't say I like it, but I know what it's for and that whining about it won't make it go away. :D

Met with a new trainer (#3) on Friday night (interior conflict between the gym and the personal trainer company so I couldn't use #2)

He was pretty awesome, does cross fit himself, and adds much of it to his coaching

Pretty sure he decided I was simply too high maintenance and set out to kill me :P

He wants me to start running, to do 500m sprints rowing, 5x5 squats, increasing the weight 10lbs each time and then 10, 9,8,7,6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 of each of the following: lunges, hold 25lb plate over head, banded pull ups, push ups and air squats.

So this morning I started running...starting slow, just 1 mile and I started walking 2 minutes, ran 3, walked 1.5, ran 3, walked 1, ran 2 (total time was 12:26, not bad for the first run in forever---not counting the little 3-6 minute ones on boot camp nights)

Good news is I didn't die :P

Did the 500m sprint in 2:34 (felt rather proud of this, as he told me to do it in under 3 minutes)

Squats, 45, 55, 65, 75, 85 (will start with 55 next time)

and then the WOD :eek: Had to switch to assisted pull up as I couldn't do any with the banded ones (just hung there for a bit, feeling rather embarrassed :P) I started on the assisted with and "8" but had to switch back to 9...managed all of them though. I didn't think I could do the lunges holding that much weight above my head, but I did...stumbled a bit on the last couple. arms getting wobbly, but I managed to not drop the weight on my head :D

Switched to elevated push ups...still did a face plant on #6 of the "7" set...managed the "6" set, but didn't manage any other sets (without redoing) until I was on the "1" set :rofl:

The air squats were like break time

Thought I was going to die by time I finished.

Still, I think I need to add an oblique exercise to the mix though.

Since I am trying to hit an extra karate class every week this month, I'll likely on do this set once a week.

(had a training session on the "synergy" station yesterday...mostly with the TRX bands...building a similar workout starting with bench press and then some of the TRX exercises for my other weekly weight day)

So my week now looks like:

Monday--karate

Tuesday--karate

Wed--bootcamp class

Thur--kickboxing & karate (the kickboxing is all aerobic)

Friday--weights

Sat--kickboxing

Sunday--weights

First week of March (actually starting Feb 27) it will be karate only until my test on Mach 5th

March 6th I should get my last training session and that will take me to the end of the body makeover challenge. Also, some time in March the bootcamp classes will end and I'll add the 3rd night of weights back in (and Monday will be a true rest day too)

You're a machine, Lany, I think that workout would probably kill me! No rest days in your plan?

:lol: thanks :)

I am trying so hard to get rid of the last flabby areas. This is just a tough month time wise with the competition (which I really don't care if I win or not, but am putting forth the effort...I even think I have a pretty good chance) and the karate test (my real focus)

Saturday is a mostly rest day...the kickboxing is at 8am, just one hour---50 minutes of aerobics, 6 of core work and 3 stretching...so really nothing too strenuous (I am using this mostly to help increase my endurance...to be able to move for 50 minutes straight without passing out)

And weather has been bad, so classes get cancelled, or I get tired, and I do take days off when I know I need them. Only thing I won't miss for any reason (other than serious illness) is the Tuesday karate...I can survive if I have to miss any of the others

<snip>

Did the 500m sprint in 2:34 (felt rather proud of this, as he told me to do it in under 3 minutes)

<snip>

So my week now looks like:

Monday--karate

Tuesday--karate

Wed--bootcamp class

Thur--kickboxing & karate (the kickboxing is all aerobic)

Friday--weights

Sat--kickboxing

Sunday--weights

Good job on your first 500m rowing sprint.

As I always say when someone mentions they're working out on a rowing machine - mind the technique and leave focusing on the results for later.

Working out every single day?

Good job if you can keep it up but don't forget you need to rest too.

By the way, I love the variety of your workout.

Saturday was my fastest 2 miles on the treadmill yet, followed by a really good weights session.

On Sunday we did snowtubing instead of snowboarding so I should be able to run and lift weights again tonight.

My swimming technique needs to be better. My left shoulder was sore for three days because I only breathe on my right side. When I had a slow, inefficient technique I was at least symmetrical. Now that I'm gliding along nicely and dong longer distances, small errors cause repercussions that I feel for several days. My wife thinks I should book a couple of sessions with a swim coach but that sounds like a lot of hassle. I'll try self-improvement first.

Perhaps timing your eating better with your work out to maximize the impact? Convert some of that calorie into a protein+carb drink to be taken 15 to 30 min before your exercise and you can get them to fuel your lifts more directly.

For me milk is probably my number one carb and protein drink.

I like exercising on a relatively empty stomach.

Some time before I drink 330ml of orange juice for the simple carbs (sugars).

Within the hour I drink 500ml of semi skimmed milk, which is 50% is simple carbs (sugars) and 40% protein.

I do 2 of 3 exercises everyday, elevated pushups, dumbells, hill or stair sprint. I cycle between doing two of the three so I can train everyday, the third I do every other day.

Archived