My Child is a Deformed Embarrassment, and my Beloved Wife Died Birthing Him....I'll Name Him After Me!

DSB

Maybe this was already covered enough, but to me it seems like Tywin's general attitude about Tyrion is "I don't myself consider you a Lannister, but everyone else tells me you are, so I'll give you an unfavorable Lannister name to match your unfavorable existence." If he had been named something seemingly non-Lannister, people would raise even more questions about Tyrion's parentage.

GallowsKnight, on 17 Dec 2014 - 6:32 PM, said:snapback.png

Jaime. Gerion. Janei. Joanna. Genna. Joy.

Theres clearly a tradition of j and soft g names.

joanna was no lannister when named, and i do not know who janei is. and joy was a bastard.

Joanna was born into a cadet branch of House Lannister. Janei is Kevan's daughter. I agree that Joy is not a very good example of a Lannister name.

GallowsKnight's post goes to show that Jaime's name is just as traditional as Tyrion's. Therefore, Tywin did not favor one or the other when he named them.

Tywin was likely grieving when he named him. I'm sure he didn't think that through, simply chose the first name he could remember that didn't bring happy memories. Also, remember that they thought Tyrion wouldn't live long.

Not every name is meant to have a meaning. Look at "Rhaegar". No King had been named Rhaegar before. Does that mean that he was not a rightful heir to Aerys' eyes? They probably simply liked the name. Rhaegar, otoh, gave his son a "kingly" name.

jon?

and i question the wisdom of aegon too, as reminding folks of the most famous namesake reminds them his conquering. someone has to be conquered, and they were king/s before.

so others can be king/s again. a shrewd student of history would surely see the benefit of the remittance of such inferences, even if it were to take generations to do so.

'other rulers, not targs? never heard of such a crazy thing!' trumps 'his great great great +++++ granddad kicked ass' every time. even if as an opinion it is held only by the illiterate, especially when that constitutes 90 percent of the populace............

anyhoo

jon?

and i question the wisdom of aegon too, as reminding folks of the most famous namesake reminds them his conquering. someone has to be conquered, and they were king/s before.

so others can be king/s again. a shrewd student of history would surely see the benefit of the remittance of such inferences, even if it were to take generations to do so.

'other rulers, not targs? never heard of such a crazy thing!' trumps 'his great great great +++++ granddad kicked ass' every time. even if as an opinion it is held only by the illiterate, especially when that constitutes 90 percent of the populace............

anyhoo

Aegon is a Targ name as Edward, Louis and Charles are in our world, there is no much meaning behind it. They had good Aegons and bad Aegons.

And Jon was not named by Rhaegar but by Ned, after Jon Arryn. And speaking of Jons, Connington also has a name that had little or nothing of the names of his family: Ronnet, Ronald, Raymund, Alynne, Alyn... Jon. Maybe his dad was drunk when he named him.

GallowsKnight, on 17 Dec 2014 - 6:32 PM, said:snapback.png

Joanna was born into a cadet branch of House Lannister. Janei is Kevan's daughter. I agree that Joy is not a very good example of a Lannister name.

GallowsKnight's post goes to show that Jaime's name is just as traditional as Tyrion's. Therefore, Tywin did not favor one or the other when he named them.

i concur, but he certainly favors one of them now, and based primarily upon the dwarf status that was evident at the time of naming.

the drinking and whoring would be at the least unmentioned if jaime or a handsome, violent third brother were to indulge themselves, so even later transgressions are really a product of the original reason for derision.

so treating your first born healthy heir and wife slaying twisted curse boy with equality remains inexplicable, even just in name traditionalism terms.

Aegon is a Targ name as Edward, Louis and Charles are in our world, there is no much meaning behind it. They had good Aegons and bad Aegons.

And Jon was not named by Rhaegar but by Ned, after Jon Arryn. And speaking of Jons, Connington also has a name that had little or nothing of the names of his family: Ronnet, Ronald, Raymund, Alynne, Alyn... Jon. Maybe his dad was drunk when he named him.

good or bad is subjective and of no connection to my point.

and to be so sure of jon being named by ned........the 'they' of the toj is finally resolved.

Eh? Ned named Jon, according to GRRM himself.

i am not much of a back-story follower, or fan.

but the guy that plays 'the author' could be exhibiting typical human traits such as mistake making,or dishonesty.

in or out of character is probably an unanswerable question.

i am not much of a back-story follower, or fan.

but the guy that plays 'the author' could be exhibiting typical human traits such as mistake making,or dishonesty.

in or out of character is probably an unanswerable question.

He was directly asked about this. He said t hat Ned named Jon, Tywin named Tyrion and Rhaella named Dany.

If we are taking in consideration human mistakes and external narrative, I'd say that GRRM created Tyrion and named him Tyrion before he even conceived his whole family background. He simply liked the name and used it and adapted the rest to it.

He was directly asked about this. He said t hat Ned named Jon, Tywin named Tyrion and Rhaella named Dany.

If we are taking in consideration human mistakes and external narrative, I'd say that GRRM created Tyrion and named him Tyrion before he even conceived his whole family background. He simply liked the name and used it and adapted the rest to it.

This. Originally ASOIAF was perceived as a trilogy. At most GRRM intended to write these three books and some prequel novellas. The verses have grown longer, so to speak, and the entire mythos has too as a result.

joanna was no lannister when named, and i do not know who janei is. and joy was a bastard.

Looking through the history there's also a Jason Lannister and a Gerold Lannister. Joffrery could be considered a Lannister name (Cersei likely named him and Tommen is a known Lannister name)

There's also a frequency for L-names, Lancel, Loren, Lefford etc

The known Lannisters during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:

Tywin Lannister

Joanna Lannister

Cersei Lannister

Jaime Lannister

Tyrion Lannister

Kevan Lannister

Lancel Lannister

Willem Lannister

Martyn Lannister

Janei Lannister

Genna Lannister

Tygett Lannister

Tyrek Lannister

Gerion Lannister

Damon Lannister

Ella Lannister

Damion Lannister

Lucion Lannister

Lanna Lannister

Stafford Lannister

Daven Lannister

Cerenna Lannister

Myrielle Lannister

Margot Lannister

Historical Members

Loreon Lannister

Tybolt Lannister

Tyrion III Lannister

Gerold II Lannister

Gerold III Lannister

Joffery Lannister

Cerion Lannister

Tommen I Lannister

Loreon II Lannister

Tywell II Lannister

Lancel I Lannister

Loreon III Lannister

Gerold Lannister

Lancel IV Lannister

Norwin Lannister

Loreon IV Lannister

Loreon V Lannister

Tyrion II Lannister

Lancel V Lannister

Lelia Lannister

Tommen II Lannister

Loren I Lannister

Lyman Lannister

Tymond Lannister

Jason Lannister

Tyland Lannister

Tya Lannister

Damon Lannister

Tybolt Lannister

Cerelle Lannister

Gerold Lannister

Tywald Lannister

Tion Lannister

Tytos Lannister

Jason Lannister

Make your own conclusions about naming habits of Lannisters.

Actually Tyrion and Dany were granted the ambigious "most like" named by (Tyrion by his father; Dany by her mother). Ned naming Jon however was a rock solid statement, and not subject to debate in my opinion.

I don't think GRRM would have said that the way he did if he was in any doubt at all about Ned naming Jon. Ned named Jon. End of tangent.

Though they sound similar, Tyrion was actually a name of some cruel Lannister king of old that did a lot of monstrosities and terrible things during his reign. I think either Tyrion or Cersei comments on it.... that said, I doubt Tywin meant the name kindly.

I think that it was Tyrion the Tormentor a sadist King who tortured women.

But there were other Kings named Tyrion I think.

Archived