How could anyone even think that Stannis would be good king?

Pecnut

I guess I just have a different impression of what motivates Stannis. I don't really see the complexity and feel like he's one of the few major characters who makes me feel like I know exactly what sort of choice he'd make because his thinking is either black or white, almost robotic like he'd short circuit or meltdown if he had to compromise or be flexible about some issue (brothels for example.) Even Ned seemed to think Stannis was rigid and Ned was one of the most rigid men in the series as far as following the rules of their society.

It wasn't love for Robert. (Not saying that you're claiming it is.) He seems like he goes by their society's unofficial rulebook on correct/just behavior. Like, I can't see him ever bending on a principle in order to save lives.

I also disagree that his punishment of Davos was "just" but that's just me. Considering what Davos had done for him he had room to be a bit more flexible and find a different punishment. I also don't feel like Stannis struggled with a decision like that at all. I think in his mind that's what happens to thieves and that Davos is lucky it wasn't worse.

Also why isn't Stannis also held to the same standard as Renly when it comes to having people die for him so that he can be king? It's not like he's the only person with a claim. Since Stannis didn't have the numbers wouldn't it be selfish of him to lead his men into battle? Wouldn't that have happened without the help of the killer shadowbaby? Both men could have maintained the status quo and not fought at all by accepting Joffrey as king. I just don't understand Renly being held accountable for being willing to put lives at risk in battle but not Stannis.

Duty, justice and over toppling a horrible evil King like joffery are all Causes of War much more respectable than fighting a war for Renly so Renly can think of himself as even prettier. Stannis is fighting for what he thinks is right. Renly is fighting for what he thinks is pretty.... namely himself.

As for assassinating Stannis, yea I can see Renly going for that if possible. Stannis was never going to bend the knee to him so Renly had already resolved to kill him one way or another. The thing is Stannis is written as a Bad Ass MOFO and renly is written as a bitch. So, we know which one got killed like a scrub and which one has made it into book 6.

...except that if he's truly as misogynistic as his haters claim, wouldn't be staunchly against the idea of having a female inherit his throne? He has plenty of bastard nephews he could legitimize in her place.

And there is nothing in the books to suggest Stannis doesn't feel the same way about Shireen in the books, hell he becomes enraged at the mere thought of her being married off to Tommen. Either way though, we're not talking about the show right now are we?

Eh, Stannis is never going to legitimize any of Robert's children. Most of them aren't lords but just smallfolk. Mya Stone is a glorified stablegirl, Bella and Barra are the daughters of prostitutes, Gendry is a blacksmith. Edric Storm is the only one who was raised in a noble household and Stannis holds him in contempt simply because of how he was conceived in his wedding bed.

How Stannis feels about Shireen is hard to say. Sometimes I get the impression she's all he has so that's why he keeps her around. I got the impression his outrage of marrying Shireen to Tommen was because of his pride and not hers.

I don't understand why so many people are in support of Stannis.

Consider these points:

- The people would live in fear of their king if Stannis was ruler, he would probably kill anyone who would not convert to believe in the Lord of Light.

That claim is stunning, consider he named someone who do not worship the Lord of Light as his hand

Duty, justice and over toppling a horrible evil King like joffery are all Causes of War much more respectable than fighting a war for Renly so Renly can think of himself as even prettier. Stannis is fighting for what he thinks is right. Renly is fighting for what he thinks is pretty.... namely himself.

Renly wasn't fighting for what he thinks is pretty, instead he was fighting to depose Joffrey (which you say is respectable) because how a Lannister dominated throne is a threat to him.

Also continued references of calling Renly a scrub or bitch make it hard to take your criticism seriously.

I don't understand why so many people are in support of Stannis.

Consider these points:

- The people would live in fear of their king if Stannis was ruler, he would probably kill anyone who would not convert to believe in the Lord of Light.

- Melisandre's control over him would most likely increase. The red woman whispering into his ear, what is Stannis other than a puppet to her control and the lord of light??? Like a dog and it's owner, the dog can bark, bite and attack but the owner truly is the one who has control.

- He would kill anyone who he deems a threat without hesitation, countless would die all for the security of his throne, all those who oppose his ruling. Ruthless, cruel, selfish would be perfect words to describe Stannis as a king.

- Family means nothing to him... e.g. He murdered his own brother using black magic without hesitation, he would even most likely use his own daughter to get his own ways if Melisandre told him too.

These are just a few of many points about Stannis...

Is this how a ruler should be???

1 people should live in fear of their king in particular the lords that serve him. Stannis would achieve that easily.

2 Stannis is clearly not religious. Hence this point is flawed.

3-4 Stannis loves his family. Example pleading with Renly, mourning for Renly, and Rebeling for Robert. he chose family over his king which was a huge sacrifice. He commited his most heinous act, killing Florent as a way of protecting his daughter. He made Justin swear to protect his daughter. He clearly loves his child and his family.

He may be a terrible king but not for the "proofs" you listed

Does it make a difference that we, the readers/viewers, know that Stan the Man's claim is the most legitimate (no pun intended) because we know the twincest is a fact? I've sometimes wondered whether GRRM is using this as a commentary on actual real-world (European) medieval politics, where heritage and primogeniture didn't always lead to the best rulers, to put it mildly.

Stannous would get rid of spiders like Varys and Littlefinger.

At least he would care about justice, and not letting people get away with stuff because they are rich and powerful.

Really just wasn't tough enough to rule the 7 kingdoms. He was like a whispy, bratty 7th grade girl. He may have been a popular queen bee, but he probably doesn't have the stomach to rule

Stannis would be a pretty good king, actually. The points in the OP are so far off that I wonder how deeply the poster has read the books.

Stannis isn't a believer in the Red God. He's an atheist. Has been since childhood, in fact. It's right there in the book, where he saw his parents killed in a shipwreck. He's using the magical powers that Melisandre has to reach his goals, which doesn't mean he accepts her god.

He doesn't go around killing everyone who disagrees with him. Both Jon and Davos have stood up to him on several occasions.

Etc, etc.

He has some personal habits I find disturbing, like burning people to death, so he isn't my favorite character (I get a kick out of people trying to justify that style of execution) but he is a competent general and administrator and his real followers (not the Queensmen) are intensely loyal.

Renly wasn't fighting for what he thinks is pretty, instead he was fighting to depose Joffrey (which you say is respectable) because how a Lannister dominated throne is a threat to him.

Also continued references of calling Renly a scrub or bitch make it hard to take your criticism seriously.

I agree. I also still fail to see how dying from sorcery makes someone a scrub or bitch. It sounds almost as though some think that Renly should have been able to fight off a shadowbaby. Again, my objection is to the claim that Renly died like a so-called scrub. The guy was preparing for a battle and was taken out by magic because his opponents knew that they wouldn't win if they faced him in a fair fight on a battlefield.

IMO the decision to have Renly taken out in that way was a bitch move and I think at the end of the day that Stannis knows that it was wrong.

ETA

Oh, and hypothetical or not does anyone seriously think that Stannis would have been able to fight off a shadowbaby if the situations had been reversed?

Archived