How could anyone even think that Stannis would be good king?

Pecnut

- He would kill anyone who he deems a threat without hesitation, countless would die all for the security of his throne, all those who oppose his ruling. Ruthless, cruel, selfish would be perfect words to describe Stannis as a king.

- Family means nothing to him... e.g. He murdered his own brother using black magic without hesitation, he would even most likely use his own daughter to get his own ways if Melisandre told him too.

Although these two points aren't exactly true when it comes to Stannis, both of them are absolute essentials if you're going to survive in medieval (and arguably modern) politics. By Machiavellian standards, Stannis is actually quite the embodiment of virtù, it's almost as if he's read "The Prince".

As for what kind of king he'd be if he took the throne, I could easily imagine him as Henry VII of England. Dour, rigid, and a rightful oppressor of the far too powerful high nobility, an unbending will and a sound military mind, and so respected and feared by everyone around him that nobody would dare openly conspire against him or even think of treason/rebellion. His primary job as king would be rebuilding a shattered realm, keeping everyone alive during winter, finding a way to reconcile the crown's spent coffers with new taxes and the confiscation of wealth from the traitorous nobility of Westeros, and establishing his dynasty and the laws of the realm so that a "War of the Roses/War of the 5 Kings" situation would be difficult to recreate in the future.

I don't understand why so many people are in support of Stannis.

Consider these points:

- The people would live in fear of their king if Stannis was ruler, he would probably kill anyone who would not convert to believe in the Lord of Light.

- Melisandre's control over him would most likely increase. The red woman whispering into his ear, what is Stannis other than a puppet to her control and the lord of light??? Like a dog and it's owner, the dog can bark, bite and attack but the owner truly is the one who has control.

- He would kill anyone who he deems a threat without hesitation, countless would die all for the security of his throne, all those who oppose his ruling. Ruthless, cruel, selfish would be perfect words to describe Stannis as a king.

- Family means nothing to him... e.g. He murdered his own brother using black magic without hesitation, he would even most likely use his own daughter to get his own ways if Melisandre told him too.

These are just a few of many points about Stannis...

Is this how a ruler should be???

Ok, first, he lets people keep their religion, he acknowledges that most of his army do not believe and it doesn't bother him, and his closest adviser worships the Seven, plus, he doesn't even believe in it himself. Second, Renly would have killed him too. Everything else your saying is unfounded, ridiculous and a poor attempt at trolling.

These hate threads are becoming very tedious.

Indeed. There have been 3 threads like this one only in the last 2 weeks.

I think that Stannis has become so controversial among the fans because he lacks one thing (two for those who only watch the show); charisma (and good looks too for the show watchers). I love Stannis precisely because he lacks charisma, and because he shows how stupidly important that quality is for us humans; many people would rather be close with a charismatic douche, than a rigid and awkward, but decent person. You may argue that Stannis is not 'decent' because of the burnings and the killing of Renly, but the circumstances lead him to the making of those decisions.

This thread is a SAD excuse to try and get Stannis fans upset and lash out,

Yeah, brah, a pathetic attempt, it cannot possibly work.

the funny part is OP obviously doesn't kno a thing about Stannis Baratheon and frankly I don't think he even read the book.

Goshdangit, but it does work! I don't know what to think anymore.

I thought one of his worst deeds was burning Florent. Florent was trying to make a good deal, which would save Shireen's life if it went through, and 'Stan the Man' had him burnt alive for it. Burnt alive ... Yet as Davos pointed out, Stannis revolted against king Aerys! Remembering this is a 'bitter draught,' or some such. Stannis takes his own righteousness as a given most of the time, until someone dares beat him over the head with the fact he's the same as everyone else. This is why he's rightly seen as merciless and harsh.

Executing Florent was absolutely one of his most reasonable decisions.

Stannis made Alester hand, which is a position of great trust. Yet Alester undermines Stannis' cause by offering the enemy terms they'd probably never accept. Alester made an offer he had no power and no position to make. He was trying to sell Stannis' daughter basically, and make her a hostage.

Its all relative, does Stannis have a PHD in economics or international trade? No, but is he more sane that Joffrey? Yes. Is he more interested in doing his job than Robert? Yes. Would he be a puppet like Renly? No. Would he defend the Realm? Yes.

Surely he is not perfect, idk if good is even an accurate word, but sometimes you gotta pick the lessor of evils. I mean come on how else do you decide who to vote for these days? Its not like anyone likes their candidate, its just that you hate the other guy.

Less corruption in king's landing

More justice for the peasants (rape, killings would not go unpunished), monster like Gregor Clegane, Ramsay would be brought to justice for their crimes.

Davos would've been a excellent hand, he's loyal, honorable, and just.

No Varys, Littlegfinger on the small council to plot for their own interest, only honorable and competent people on the small council who would advise Stannis.

Stannis care about duty and responsability, a good thing for a king

The Kingdom would've been more stable under his rule than before.

He's a great battle commander, competent, and inspire loyalty from people who know him. After a few years of ruling, i'm sure the majority of the westeros would've been on his side than before. The more you know about him and the more see him acted, the more you gonna respect him. I'm sure the Vale, the Riverlands, the North, the Stormlands, and many Reach lords would've been loyal to him.

- He's not crazy, he's very sane man and the Baratheons are not known to be crazy people, they are the total opposite of the Targaryens. Stannis' lineage would have secure the peace and stability for many years to come, no incest and no craziness like the Targaryens.

Besides, Who would've been better king than a brilliant and competent man like Stannis ? Let's see :

Dany : A delusional temperamental girl who make decision based on emotions

Tommen : A child and puppet of the Tyrells

Aegon : A fake illegitimate targ, and no one know his existence until now

Stannis is far from perfect, but far from being the worst pretender to the Throne. Right now, Westeros is chaotic because there's a child on the Throne, and the Tyrells and the Lannisters can't brought peace to the realm because they're are too power hungry and too selfish to care about the state of the realm. Stannis is the right man for the job. He's the only one who accepted to bring his army to the walls to defend the kingdom, no one even cared about what happened there. And he's the only one who's trying to save Arya, restore the Starks and brought peace to the North.

Consider these points:

- The people would live in fear of their king if Stannis was ruler, he would probably kill anyone who would not convert to believe in the Lord of Light.

- Melisandre's control over him would most likely increase. The red woman whispering into his ear, what is Stannis other than a puppet to her control and the lord of light??? Like a dog and it's owner, the dog can bark, bite and attack but the owner truly is the one who has control.

1. Not true. Most of his troops are not believers in lord of the light. He also didnt demand the northerners to convert to the religion either. Davos worships seven. I think it is quite contrary, and Stannis is showing himself quite open. Remember how disdainful southerners were of people from the North? Yet Stannis doesnt have any prejudice against them. He even looses his home helping "heathens", and for good of the realm.

2. Melisandre doesnt control him at all. Stannis is a purely neutral character. Think of Davos and Melisandre as good and bad angel, giving advice and pulling to their side. But it is Stannis who makes decisions.

3. Which is what king should do. If you leave threats alone, they fester until they become unstopable. Better that 20 should die, than thousands perish in a war.

4. Which shows how just he is. Why should family get an excuse? He approached his brother, offered him generous terms. His brother had no right to oppose him. Yet he refused. What Stannis did, saved thousands, if not tens of thousands of men that day.

Stannis is not religious and some of his men believe in other faiths.If Mel had less influence, Stannis might spare Myrcella and Tommen. Cersei would be a goner.If Stannis is hated by the corrupt like LF and Slynt,

What Alaster did by trying to arrange Stannis' daughter to marry Tommen was to have the girl be at the mercy of the Lannisters as their hostages.If Alaster was sucessful in making the deal and she went to Red Keep, the only thing that could protect her from Lannister or Gregor torment while at the keep is if Tyrells or Brienne gave her protection from harm. The Tyrell would try to protect her for PR purposes. Brienne would do it because it a honorable thing to do and she might see a little bit of herself in the princess.

Stannis, for me, has a lot of potential to be a good King... but him, using the Lord of the Light and burning his enemies to ashes for his cause... is a thing that scares people and goes against the culture of Westeros, being R'hllor a God brought from Essos.

If it wasn't for this, Stannis would be a fair and legit King.

Stannis, for me, has a lot of potential to be a good King... but him, using the Lord of the Light and burning his enemies to ashes for his cause... is a thing that scares people and goes against the culture of Westeros, being R'hllor a God brought from Essos.

If it wasn't for this, Stannis would be a fair and legit King.

But you have to admit, seing dead rise after a simple prayer to lord of light, being able to comune with God who answers and gives you visions, will surely make others believe. If Stannis wins I think we will see a lot more people converting, not out of fear but out of how real this new God is.

But you have to admit, seing dead rise after a simple prayer to lord of light, being able to comune with God who answers and gives you visions, will surely make others believe. If Stannis wins I think we will see a lot more people converting, not out of fear but out of how real this new God is.

It is true that the Lord of the Light is very powerfull and has bringed a lot of things for Stannis, but is not an advantage for him in his path towards the IT in therms of getting people to follow him on his quest and beliefs, much less now that the order of the Warrior's Sons have been reborn and the Faith of the Seven if growing stronger and gaining power on Westeros. Things might end on a religious war rather than a war between true and fake kings.

Executing Florent was absolutely one of his most reasonable decisions.

Damning with faint praise?

Stannis made Alester hand, which is a position of great trust. Yet Alester undermines Stannis' cause by offering the enemy terms they'd probably never accept. Alester made an offer he had no power and no position to make. He was trying to sell Stannis' daughter basically, and make her a hostage.

Are you saying he intended to smuggle Shireen out of Dragonstone without Stannis's consent? Like an abduction? I did not get that impression: he sent terms because Stannis's cause was lost. The terms were very favourable to Stannis. At the time Stannis was providing no leadership, so Florent had to try and make the best of it. What you term selling Shireen is really a reconciliation through marriage of two factions. It is not like he wanted Shireen to marry Tyrion: Tommen was the intended husband.

Damning with faint praise?

Are you saying he intended to smuggle Shireen out of Dragonstone without Stannis's consent? Like an abduction? I did not get that impression: he sent terms because Stannis's cause was lost. The terms were very favourable to Stannis. At the time Stannis was providing no leadership, so Florent had to try and make the best of it. What you term selling Shireen is really a reconciliation through marriage of two factions. It is not like he wanted Shireen to marry Tyrion: Tommen was the intended husband.

Shireen would be at the mercy of King Joffrey and his mom while living at king's landing with no real protection. that is strong as a brute like Gregor. Tyrion would not protect her because she not his type of cripple and broken thing that he have a soft spot for.

People should live in fear of breaking the law, it's one of the great failings of our western justice systems that the crime and punishment are not linked in any kind of suitable time frame, or often not at all, or the punishment is very light.

For the record, I support the decriminalization of drugs, sex trade and numerous other present day crimes, but I would go all sorts of Stannis on anyone who hurts other people.

Consider these points:

He is a kinslayer, aye. Both he and his second cousin. But I believe he would be a just king, and therefor a "good" king- but not a perfect one, no.

Archived