How could anyone even think that Stannis would be good king?

Pecnut

I really don't think Stannis is going to stick with R'hllor much longer to be honest. As we see in later ADWD and the TWoW sample chapter where he spends more time away from Mel, he actually goes as far as to express his distaste for burnings ("...pray harder") and carries out executions via beheading instead of burning. The latter was done to curry the favor of The Northmen mostly to be fair, but I always felt that the Stannis we see on the march to Winterfell is much more the "genuine" Stannis.

And Mel also seems to be thinking of jumping ship to Jon, so there's also that.

As much as Stannis and I don't like R'hollar, it seems for sure that he exists. Where else could the shadow baby have come from? He also seems to bring people back from the dead and direct ships in the right direction. Idk if Stannis would bale on the red god honestly

I think Stannis would be a decent king, he wouldn't be loved, and he might be a bit extreme at times, but he'd be just and much better than Robert was. Especially with Davos as hand, to keep him grounded. Rhaegar would of been a great king, Danaerys would make a good leader too, with the strength of a decent hand and councillors behind her.

Stannis as king would improve the mess that is KG

How? by filling it with men like Suggs? a sadist who's possibly worse than Trant or with men like Horpe or Farring who proclaim their loyalty to his wife (or more realistically Mel) and her god over him

How? by filling it with men like Suggs? a sadist who's possibly worse than Trant or with men like Horpe or Farring who proclaim their loyalty to his wife (or more realistically Mel) and her god over him

No Suggs would more than likely have Gregor's old job or Suggs might get kill if he tried to mess with Brienne.

I mean filling it with people like Brienne(Honorable, skill, and deserving of KG).

No Suggs would more than likely have Gregor's old job or Suggs might get kill if he tried to mess with Brienne.

I mean filling it with people like Brienne(Honorable, skill, and deserving of KG).

And why would Stannis being appointing people like Brienne?

And why would Stannis being appointing people like Brienne?

Stannis reward on merit and Brienne has done some noble actions. She got rid of some evil scum that Stannis would of dealt with eventually if they become a big threat.

other than what he said about Gilly,I don't think Stannis care a lot about gender that much since Mel is one of his closest advisors.He also let on Alsayne Mormont guard Asha and let her fight along side him.

other than what he said about Gilly,I don't think Stannis care a lot about gender that much since Mel is one of his closest advisors.He also let on Alsayne Mormont guard Asha and let her fight along side him.

"[ser Godry Farring] Contemptuous of smallfolk, wolves and women. In the last he was not unlike his King"

- Asha in the King's Prize chapter

Person A breaks into Person B's home with a gun, intent on killing person B.

Person B picks up a baseball bat.

Person A shoots person B in self-defense. Hey, Person B had the baseball bat.

REASONING. REASONING. REASONING.

Person C squats in person A's house, person B picks up a mini-gun in an effort to claim person A's house as his own, worse, he does it thinking that person C is the real occupant, person A confronts person B with a flip knife and explains that said house actually belongs to him but thats cool he can have the house if he dies, person B doesn't particularly care and tells person A he'll use his mini-gun on him as well, person B stabs him quickly, takes the mini-gun and moves on person C...

Whats that? Ridiculous analogy time?

As to Stannis as King, he'd be awkward, much better as a strong right hand or actually fucking perfect if everything is ruined and requires a massive rebuild, which is looking exceedingly likely.

As to Stannis as King, he'd be awkward, much better as a strong right hand or actually fucking perfect if everything is ruined and requires a massive rebuild, which is looking exceedingly likely.

Interesting point, I agree. Popularity won't mean much when an entire continent is in shambles.

Whats that? Ridiculous analogy time?

James Arryn's analogy is hardly ridiculous, the simple fact is the Stannis defense regarding Renly that it was self-defense is false.

Yes, because during a time of rebuilding and coming together you want the self-righteous dick that will hardly unify people.

Give me a king who serves the commons and doesn't accept/allow bribes any day.

Too idealist? Probably, but it's a start.

The real question is WHO alive in the series now would make a better king?

Tyrion- he'd be good, but he would try to balance pleasing everyone too much to actually get anything accomplished. And I fear what kind of queen he would marry and the level of influence she would have on state affairs.

Dany- I'm not a Dany hater but she doesn't seem to have figured out what kind of leader she is yet. She's also a bit of a micro manager and doesn't give her "generals/advisers" enough power.

FAegon- if Tyrion could manipulate him so easily he couldn't survive the politics of KL.

I feel that Stannis wouldn't be a great king (though certainly better than Aerys or Joffrey) for two main reasons:

1) he's not a man who inspires love, affection, or admiration--while he has a good claim, I can't see the common people getting behind Stannis for his own sake so much as a "hey, he's not a Lannister!" reaction;

2) he's too stiff and rigid in his outlook on life--much as Ned Stark (still one of my favorite characters) would never have made a good king, I feel that Stannis wouldn't have the ability to allow himself to capitulate when necessary. Trees that don't bend to the wind often break, and all that.

So--while Stannis isn't my #1 pick for king, we could go far and do much worse.

Stannis doesn't give a crap about the Lord of light because he doesn't need to, he already sees himself as the perfect ruler.

The reason why Stannis doesn't give 2 shits about Davos and anyone else is because he knows that he's useful to him regardless of what he believes in. If he became king and Mel said to him "Right, if you don't make it clear for everyone to worship the Lord of light, you will lose your throne" he'd do it without question. Do you honestly think that IF he becomes king he's going to say to Melisandre "tyvm, goodbye!"?

As for Renly, why are people saying is justified? Stannis had the option of siding with his brother if it meant not being king.

I love how people are so quick to insult when someone holds a negative view on a widely supported character.

Oh sure I am sure the Tyrells would just let him live out his days on Dragonstone. I mean he is a trusted battle commander that fought against them. He is Renly's older brother and would have a claim, but they will just forget about that no worries there

It depends on his adviser. Stannis with Mel would be a disaster. Atheist or not, he would make himself the head of the church of R'hllor, and use the new religion to unite Westeros and consolidate power. There'd be heresy trials, executions, a war against the sept, etc. Think what happened when Henry VIII left the Catholic church, and multiply by 100.

With Davos, I think he'd be a good king. Like Tywin, he would grudgingly accept people who bend the knee. He would not fill the council with idiots. He would be very hands-on. He would take care of finances. He'd be excellent at rebuilding, effective at getting food to people who need it. Forget an infestation of zombies. Westeros, as it stands, needs to be rebuilt, so whoever comes in as king or queen, will need to be able to do that.

Give me a king who serves the commons and doesn't accept/allow bribes any day.

Too idealist? Probably, but it's a start.

The real question is WHO alive in the series now would make a better king?

Tyrion- he'd be good, but he would try to balance pleasing everyone too much to actually get anything accomplished. And I fear what kind of queen he would marry and the level of influence she would have on state affairs.

Dany-she doesn't seem to have figured out what kind of leader she is yet. She's also a bit of a micro manager and doesn't give her "generals/advisers" enough power.

FAegon- if Tyrion could manipulate him so easily he couldn't survive the politics of KL.

Jon- I'm sure he's probably going to be rethinking his current strategy of sending his best men away, but I'll have to see the effect being stabbed by your own men will have on his leadership skills and sanity.

1 The people would live in fear of their king if Stannis was ruler, he would probably kill anyone who would not convert to believe in the Lord of Light.

2. Melisandre's control over him would most likely increase. The red woman whispering into his ear, what is Stannis other than a puppet to her control and the lord of light??? Like a dog and it's owner, the dog can bark, bite and attack but the owner truly is the one who has control.

3. He would kill anyone who he deems a threat without hesitation, countless would die all for the security of his throne, all those who oppose his ruling. Ruthless, cruel, selfish would be perfect words to describe Stannis as a king.

4. Family means nothing to him... e.g. He murdered his own brother using black magic without hesitation, he would even most likely use his own daughter to get his own ways if Melisandre told him too.

1. The people would enjoy the peace and prosperity of a well ordered kingdom. Stannis would not force people to convert or punish them for a different faith

Half my army is made up of unbelievers. I will have no burnings. Pray harder - Stannis Baratheon

2. I disagree. Melissandre is as much Stannis' tool, as he is hers. She has a lot of influence when he's desperate. But ruling the Kingdoms, he's going to rely on her less, as he'd have other means. Even in his darkest moments he's still quite sceptical of her.

Is the hand of R'hllor spotted and palsied? - Stannis Baratheon

3. I'd agree Stannis can be rutheless but he is also quite willing to compromise and pardon where needs be.

These lords who flocked to my brother’s banners knew him for a usurper. They turned their backs on their rightful king for no better reason than dreams of power and glory, and I have marked them for what they are. Pardoned them, yes. Forgiven. But not forgotten." -Stannis

As for cruel? He treats the Wildlings who have virtually no rights under Westerosi law well, even punishing his own men who rape.

As for selfish? Yes he wants the throne. But both because of his duty and because rightfully it is his. That's not selfish.

4. Renly's was something that clearly haunts Stannis. There's no way he'd sacrifice his own daughter.

Suggs is detestable personality wise. But Suggs is strong (Jon Snow comments on this), brave (Asha points this out when he charges towards potential enemies) and has been more loyal to Stannis than men like Greenfield, Moore, Trant and Blount were to Robert.

He could do much worse honestly.

Edit: Oops double post.

Horpe or Farring who proclaim their loyalty to his wife (or more realistically Mel) and her god over him

Doesn't happen. Queens man isn't a term they use to describe themselves, it's a term others have given them. Horpe for one doesn't care about R'hllor, and neither have given any indication that they're disloyal, that's a pretty baseless accusation.

Archived