What betrays that Martin is an American

Arbor Golden

I never read asoiaf in english, its not my native tongue, so in terms of language i dont know.

To be honest i never reeally saw anything american in westerosi culture. It reminds me of my beloved old continent europe (im a spanish living in germany). The different regions differ so much from each other like in europe, and some even resemble certain countries. dorne reminds me of spain and the riverlands much of germany where i live.

To be whonest i never saw anything obvious that hes american but i definetly noticed that much people who think westeros is inspirated by america are americans. This isnt meant to be offensive, im just saying medieval culture fits much more europe.

As a Northerner, I have never understood the focus on pretend courtesies and letter writing. I think he's got those subtle differences between North and South down. :P

Im a northerner, my grandpa needed to call the doctor, and he wouldnt let me do it until he had dressed 'respectably'. His good pants and a dress shirt, while sick from vertigo. These people deal with dead people, he has worried about a vest!

Americans have to understand, the BBC have a show where they read out angry letters sent to themselves about their shows. They then answer them on TV.

The endless refrains of various characters (You Know Nothing, Where Do Whores Go, etc), each repeated ad infinitum like the chorus of a Britney Spears song, so the caffeine-addled, ADHD americans can remember which character they're reading.

Sentimentality. He is the Spielberg of Fantasy. Jon mussing Arya's hair wouldn't happen if he was English. Nor would Bran have survived that fall.

Although I don't think it's unique to Americans, I think that the tension between a fascination with or mystification of bloodlines and an anti-aristocratic populism might be a mark of his American identity. That is, he's got this whole thing with "special blood" but is also sort of uncomfortable with the idea. But I suppose this could just be a mark of the fantasy genre more generally.

Im a northerner, my grandpa needed to call the doctor, and he wouldnt let me do it until he had dressed 'respectably'. His good pants and a dress shirt, while sick from vertigo. These people deal with dead people, he has worried about a vest!

Americans have to understand, the BBC have a show where they read out angry letters sent to themselves about their shows. They then answer them on TV.

Points of view! That was the one with Wogan, wasn't it? I loved the way he read out the letters. It would have been bizarre for anyone from outwith the British Isles, but here was someone taking the piss out of people writing in letters expressing complaints or opinions on TV programmes - while at the same time acknowledging those complaints. Mental. :P

Only place in the States that felt all that unique to me was New Orleans. Then again I lived in Florida/NYC for a while, and never hit up Texas.

Did you know Cajuns are of Canadian descent?

Probably not all that dissimilar to how Quebec is culturally to the rest of Canada, although for some reason Quebec is always portrayed as snobbish/isolationist and cajun as amiable/easy going. Also Floridians=Newfies.

*Sniggers slightly about the idea of Melbourne or Tasmania being cold and miserable*. ;)

To answer the question - it's the language.

"Dagger up his butt".

"I wrote him".

The spelling of honour, colour, arbour as honor, color, arbor.

The bard who rhymes lass with grass.

Points of view! That was the one with Wogan, wasn't it? I loved the way he read out the letters. It would have been bizarre for anyone from outwith the British Isles, but here was someone taking the piss out of people writing in letters expressing complaints or opinions on TV programmes - while at the same time acknowledging those complaints. Mental. :P

Used to be Wogan, I think its some one else now. I love their actors reading out the letters so earnestly while sounding so mad.

His vision of what the cold north looks like. (Where it's actually cold and not just chilly and damp).

Agree. The way he describes snow, ice and cold is a bit off for me (as a "northerner"). He doesn't describe the texture of snow especially well, how the throat and lung feels when breathing, how the snow falls or other factors. I have never understood what kind of winter weather it is in the books, there is not enough details.

I always thought is was so strange that snow gets stuck on Sam's boots when he is fleeing from the Others. If it is cold, snow does not behave like that. The water content would be too low for it to get sticky. Considering how Sam feels and what he is wearing it should be a lot colder, but then you have warm snow...

ummester, on 20 Dec 2014 - 12:25 AM, said:snapback.png

Yea, those damn North-Earthians (of which there are so many) forget the world is all opposite down under :D

Tell me about it!

In the first few chapters they kept referring to everyone wearing furs in the north and I was all 'Take them off you mongas, it must be like 38 degrees up there!!'

I am laffing so hard at these!! The first time I heard the phrase 'tropic north' was in a TV program about Australia. I was like, wut? And 38 degrees is only 6 degrees above freezing, don't you mean 97 degrees? :cool4:

What a fun thread! :lol:

Lizard Lions.

We don't have them here. I assume they're some kind of American animal.

I'm an American and I don't know what he means by 'lizard lions' either. But then, I live in the high desert area of the West and the lizards here are very small. Perhaps he means crocodiles?

The endless refrains of various characters (You Know Nothing, Where Do Whores Go, etc), each repeated ad infinitum like the chorus of a Britney Spears song, so the caffeine-addled, ADHD americans can remember which character they're reading.

Sentimentality. He is the Spielberg of Fantasy. Jon mussing Arya's hair wouldn't happen if he was English. Nor would Bran have survived that fall.

Are you serious? If you think Americans are so stupid why are you posting on an American fantasy novel board?

Archived