How would you take it if in the end the white walkers wins?

King of thrones

yeah great! nice to know if the world ever faced a zombie apocalypse or an alien invasion some people will actually be rooting for them to win because not all humans are "Mother Teresas".There are the common folk who have nothing to do with the IT and yet you want them to be killed because of mad people like Cersei.I dont see any morallity in letting the WW win.If they were the good guys then they would be the pov,havent people read books or seen movies?The pov are always the good guys.

Anyways,id rather Jon+Danny+Tyrion die than the WW win.

Why are we assuming the Others are genocidal again?

Last time i checked,anything that raises the dead to fight for them is not in any essence a good guy unless you are fighting against an evil dead mummy emperor and his terracoat army.

Anyway,they even sent their minions to attack Bran who is a cripple and a kid what makes you think they wont do the same to a starving freezing farmer and his family down south.

Besides,last time i checked people dont just decide to go to the Lands of Always Winter for adventure or for the scenic views so you cant say they are threatened by some humans fighting each other in Kingslanding.Even wildlings dont go that further north so i dont see why they have to go south.

The title of the last book is 'a dream of spring' , so it is indeed possible

For what it's worth I do think this means humanity survives The Others in some way, that the "Dream Of Spring" is the hope/potential for a better future to come (that we will not necessarily see directly in the books; just get confirmation in the ending that it will come).

Survival just doesn't necessarily require victory. That's what's fascinating to me; on what terms would The Others relent, deciding Westeros has endured enough/"learned its lesson" this time?

I've wanted jon to lead an other army through the wall to avenge the Starks with the viciousness the Kings of Winter used to conquer the North back in the day for a long time now, so I'd be down.

If that happened I would feel completely duped and like I wasted an awful lot of my life on a book series that was a big fat lie.

Why? Some of the biggest themes of the novels are the unreliability of information, narrators, and the history we have been presented. How would the Others winning mess with any of that?

It fits the story we've gotten so far a lot better than Dany the Obliviously Lucky riding her death-spewing monsters in to save westeros from mindless snow-zombies, or Jon Stargaryen uniting the realm as the righteous King. And both of those endings have a lot of fans.

For what it's worth I do think this means humanity survives The Others in some way, that the "Dream Of Spring" is the hope/potential for a better future to come (that we will not necessarily see directly in the books; just get confirmation in the ending that it will come).

Survival just doesn't necessarily require victory. That's what's fascinating to me; on what terms would The Others relent, deciding Westeros has endured enough/"learned its lesson" this time?

Yeah. The last Long Night is said to have been defeated, but within all the tales throughout the world, no one has a "how" it was done. I think the people of the earth had to survive, and fight for that survival, and that is the way they won. Winter finally ended and the survivors claimed they were the ones who defeated darkness throughout different cultures and nations, yet Noone actually defeated Winter and Darkness, aka Death.

Yeah. The last Long Night is said to have been defeated, but within all the tales throughout the world, no one has a "how" it was done. I think the people of the earth had to survive, and fight for that survival, and that is the way they won. Winter finally ended and the survivors claimed they were the ones who defeated darkness throughout different cultures and nations, yet Noone actually defeated Winter and Darkness, aka Death.

Have long thought "The Last Hero" was a diplomat, not a warrior. Lightbringer is a rhetorical argument that got turned into a sword over the generations of embellished myth (plus societies need to believe in themselves and pad their resumes so to speak, survival becomes victory for the sake of national/ethnic self esteem; "we fought them off" etc.)

Definitely something funny about the seat being named Winterfell and the Starks having it so long, and The Wall. Negotiated peace certainly seems more likely than capitulation and unconditional surrender one would expect a Warrior "Last Hero" to bring about with a magic McGuffin Sword and what not.

I suppose it would all be in the manner is which GRRM presents it. At first blush, it sounds more like an ending for a short story than for an epic series like ASOIAF. GRRM's mastery of storytelling makes such an ending feasible. However, I am human. After such an emotional investment, I need a reason to hope, to believe, to fist pump. Redemption and reward. Trials and triumphs.

It would depend on what the WWs "winning" would mean. If they completely wipe out humanity - in Westeros alone or (the known)world, then what a waste of character development, world-building, complex political plotlines and intrigues, etc., we'd have on our hands. In almost every single interview GRRM repeats that bit about the human heart in conflict with itself. WWs aren't human and GRRM has said he doesn't even know if they have a "culture". It's almost 100% certain that we'll lose important characters, POV or otherwise, before the end but all of them?

The most cited term used to describe the ending is bittersweet. There would be no "sweet" if the WWs win and everyone else dies, no matter how courageous or noble those deaths might be.

Either balance is restored (seasons normalized, WWs and dragons gone), or we get a repeat of the Long Night and perhaps an epilogue taking place thousands of years in the future with the forces of Ice and Fire preparing to battle it out once again.

I wouldn't toss the books or grumble about wasting years of my life, but I don't think that I'd read them again.

I would be pretty disappointed. That would fall under a "Giant Meteor Destroys Everything" ending.

It wouldn't be THAT bad if it was in the originally planned trilogy. But 6-7 books of all these lords playing the game of thrones and then the Others/White Walkers come by (a faction with have seen little of) to just "win" in the end... Just not feeling it.

Archived