Dumbest Lord in Westeros history

C.T. Phipps

I agree that there would have been better options than a Frey for Genna, but I'd say the negotiations were where Tytos seems weak. An ally in the Riverlands is useful; not as useful as forming ties with one of your vassals in a time of political instability, but still useful. But even so, Tytos should have been looking for quite a large dowry and anything else advantageous that could be throne into the mix. (I'd need to check the ages of all the Freys again, but even an agreement that Stevron's heir would marry a Lannister girl when one was available, for example.) There's no indication that Tytos did negotiate such agreeable terms though - that's what I think was stupid about the Frey marriage.

I think Tywin is one of the dumbest Lords ever. He criticized his Lord father but Tywin was the one that screwed up the history of a House that's been there since the Age of Heroes.

I'm not sure what he could have done about Cersei and Jaime, to be honest.

But, ironically, Tyrion would have been an excellent heir to the family.

If nothing else, he's a Lannister on his mother's side.

so many to chose from....The Lord that Lan the trickster took Casterley Rock from...yeah..that would be a safe choice

Well that depends on how he actually took it. Lann the Clever's legends of of dubious authenticity, and some of the possibilities for how he came to be Lord of Casterly Rock aren't the result of the stupidity of Lord Casterly.

I'm not sure what he could have done about Cersei and Jaime, to be honest.

But, ironically, Tyrion would have been an excellent heir to the family.

If nothing else, he's a Lannister on his mother's side.

He would not have been an "excellent heir". Even today, dwarves are looked down upon by a lot of people in society - in a feudal society like Westeros there's no way a dwarf can be the head of one of the most powerful and prestigious houses. There's more than Tyrion's intellect to take into account.

Tywin would have been hard pressed to find him a bride from a house of reputable standing. He tried; they all declined. He even tried to marry him to Edric Storm's mother and was told, "no". Sure, Tywin probably could have married Tyrion to one of Walder Frey's daughters or granddaughters - but he wouldn't have been offered favourable terms, and he's too proud to give up too much in any negotiations just for Tyrion.

Tyrion wouldn't be a good heir for any powerful lord. A good second son? Yeah, probably. But it's also possible many lords wouldn't have kept him due to him being a dwarf in the first place.

Lord Darklyn.

"I have a genius idea... let's kidnap the paranoid, pyromaniac king!"

Well looking at it while considering its effects, it does look like that. However I don't believe Aerys was already paranoid/pyromaniac at the time - he was a little off to be sure but the full on madness appears to have been triggered by the kidnapping ad confinement. I'd say Lord Darklyn's plan, while clearly not the smartest, was daring and far from say, losing an island for a wrestling match or marrying your only daughter to the younger son of a middle ranking Lord.

I agree that the greatjon is pretty high up there. If he didn't put the crown on Rob in front of everyone then Rob could've made common cause with stannis, renly and/or the Terrells. Plus it's hard to be king of a land you don't currently occupy

Dumbest lords list:

- Tytos Lannister (Mainly for causing so much damage to his own house)

- 80% of the Ironborn kings/lords (For thinking they so tough and cool that they rebel and get owned for it)

- Eddard Stark (For being a fool politician and trusting Littlefinger when he himself told him don't trust me)

- Ramsay Snow (His madness clouds his judgment)

- Unwin Peake (For threatening to resign as Hand when he knew he was hated by all the other council lords and thus epicly failed his dreams)

- Mace Tyrell (For having no clue what is going on)

to be continued.....

P.S. The lord who lost Casterly Rock to Lann the Cleaver might of not been dumb. Lann could probably outwit average intelligent men as well.

I think Tywin is one of the dumbest Lords ever. He criticized his Lord father but Tywin was the one that screwed up the history of a House that's been there since the Age of Heroes.

You dare call the man whose face I cover a dumb lord? You will pay for this! Mainly Cersei screwed up the house but Tyrion must be blamed as well for he is a dwarf!

Argilac Durrandon

Actually his move was brave but not dumb. He knew what happend to Harren the Black and he didn't want to share his fate. He had to chose :

a) stay at Storm's End and get roasted by dragon's fire, forever be remembered as craven

b ) meet Orys Baratheon's host in battlefield.

Actually his move was brave but not dumb. He knew what happend to Harren the Black and he didn't want to share his fate. He had to chose :

a) stay at Storm's End and get roasted by dragon's fire, forever be remembered as craven

b ) meet Orys Baratheon's host in battlefield.

He also had the option of bending the knee and swearing fealty. (Not that I disagree that the choice he made wasn't brave in some ways - just pointing out he had more than just two options.)

Archived