Strangest Line in the Books

Hour of the Wolf

Robert, something like. "blah, tourneys, knights, the Knight of flowers, mmm... bacon, swords" .

This take the cake for me every time I re-read the first book I stop to laugh at the complete randomness that it is. The first time I read it I was convinced that I read it wrong and re-read the paragraph 3 times before I realized that Robert is just that crazy.

"I might have killed every man and of you and given your women to my soldiers for their pleasure, but instead I protected you. Is this the thanks you offer?" Joseth who groomed his horses, Farlen who taught him all he knew about of hounds, Barth the brewers wife who had been his first- not one of them would meet his eyes. They hate me, he realised

Well no shit Theon, you just captured their castle, of course they are gonna hate you.

A reaction to the fact that Bloodraven is also seeing her, as she notices ? When fire and ice meet, there must be a reaction. Here is the full quote :

The red priestess shuddered. Blood trickled down her thigh, black and smoking. The fire was inside her, an agony, an ecstasy, filling her, searing her, transforming her. Shimmers of heat traced patterns on her skin, insistent as a lover's hand.

Almost as if she's remembering losing her virginity. Weird.

The sentence I have read over and over was when Jon was watching the free folk lining up to cross under the wall. He sees a snowflake, thinks of it dancing, and then :

"...you will dance with me, anon."

I'm still puzzling over that one.

Mine aren't as strange as some of yours....but these were 2 that I laughed at, just because:

"Queen Selyse pursed her lips. 'Lord Snow, as Lady Val is a stranger to our ways, please send her to me, that I might instruct her in the duties of a noble lady toward her lord husband.'"

I mean, REALLY? Selyse using her experience with Stannis to instruct a wildling?? That'll end well. :P

And this:

"Septon Callador appeared confused and groggy and in dire need of some scales from the dragon that had flamed him."

I had to re-read this a couple times to make sure that I had remembered the original saying (hair of the dog and all)....I wonder if this is just a Westerosi version of the "hair of the dog that bit him" saying or if we're supposed to make something of it. I've wondered how on earth that Septon managed to end up on the Wall to begin with, but that's for another thread.

When unJon is resurrected, would he ask Mel the same?

He probably spent his toddler years going around Winterfell, asking household women of appropriate age that question...

well, it would make sense

as long as Victarion won't imprint on Moqorro, i'm fine

and Victarion's chapters were full of weird lines, especially monkeys and his religious contemplations :ack:

Victarion's first chapter in aDwD:

The iron captain was not seen again that day, but as the hours passed the crew of his Iron Victory reported hearing the sound of wild laughter coming from the captain's cabin, laughter deep and dark and mad, and when Longwater Pyke and Wulfe One-Eye tried the cabin door they found it barred. Later singing was heard, a strange high wailing song in a tongue the maester said was High Valyrian. That was when the monkeys left the ship, screeching as they leapt into the water.

Come sunset, as the sea turned black as ink and the swollen sun tinted the sky a deep and bloody red, Victarion came back on deck. He was naked from the waist up, his left arm blood to the elbow. As his crew gathered, whispering and trading glances, he raised a charred and blackened hand. Wisps of dark smoke rose from his fingers as he pointed at the maester.

"That one. Cut his throat and throw him in the sea, and the winds will favor us all the way to Meereen." Moqorro had seen that in his fires. He had seen the wench wed too, but what of it? She would not be the first woman Victarion Greyjoy had made a widow.

The transition to an omniscient narrator is odd and intrigues me.

• 3 weeks later...

Victarion's first chapter in aDwD:

The iron captain was not seen again that day, but as the hours passed the crew of his Iron Victory reported hearing the sound of wild laughter coming from the captain's cabin, laughter deep and dark and mad, and when Longwater Pyke and Wulfe One-Eye tried the cabin door they found it barred. Later singing was heard, a strange high wailing song in a tongue the maester said was High Valyrian. That was when the monkeys left the ship, screeching as they leapt into the water.

Come sunset, as the sea turned black as ink and the swollen sun tinted the sky a deep and bloody red, Victarion came back on deck. He was naked from the waist up, his left arm blood to the elbow. As his crew gathered, whispering and trading glances, he raised a charred and blackened hand. Wisps of dark smoke rose from his fingers as he pointed at the maester.

"That one. Cut his throat and throw him in the sea, and the winds will favor us all the way to Meereen." Moqorro had seen that in his fires. He had seen the wench wed too, but what of it? She would not be the first woman Victarion Greyjoy had made a widow.

The transition to an omniscient narrator is odd and intrigues me.

I was about to post the same, especially in ADWD there's a lot of jumps" between a POV (what a character knows and thinks or how he/she tell us something) and a omniscient narrator (a third person telling us what's going on). That's weird.

'Hodor', although I'd like to believe that we will find out it's significance if any.

' I am of the night' is easily the most cringeworthy line I've noticed but it does make me laugh.

'Wherever whores go' is the most annoying by far. I hope Tyrions patter and mindset improve in the next book.

Also I find Patchface's dialogue increasingly creepy and unsettling in a good way though.

• 1 month later...

“I don’t want any more stories,” Bran snapped, his voice petulant. He had liked Old Nan and her stories once. Before. But it was different now. They left her with him all day now, to watch over him and clean him and keep him from being lonely, but she just made it worse. “I hate your stupid stories.”

The old woman smiled at him toothlessly. “My stories? No, my little lord, not mine. The stories are, before me and after me, before you too.”

And before anyone counters with the following:

Maybe one of the other Brandons had liked that story. Sometimes Nan would talk to him as if he were her Brandon, the baby she had nursed all those years ago, and sometimes she confused him with his uncle Brandon, who was killed by the Mad King before Bran was even born. She had lived so long, Mother had told him once, that all the Brandon Starks had become one person in her head.

If she had confused him with any of her Brandon's she wouldn't have added "before you too". She knew she was telling stories and yet she add that in also. Personally I don't see this as a slip of the mind as I believe that Old Nan is right where she needs to be in order to help Bran in becoming who he is to be. All the Brandon's that she had cared for are younger than she so there would be no need to throw in "before you too."

I think he'll turn out to be Brandon the Builder. Whispering ideas to masons through the time portal trees.

Archived