Acrophobia #13 - Seasons in Westeros, Winner is Ser Not Appearing

Fragile Bird

Welcome to edition #13 of Acrophobia - lucky 13! :cheers:

In this edition of Acrophobia you get to tell us something about the Seasons in Westeros, Spring/Fall, Summer and Winter. I have combined the Spring and the Fall because they are usually relatively short shoulder seasons, the other two, Summer and Winter, being the ones that can stretch and stretch and stretch. I thought the topic of Seasons would be something very different to get your head around, with a short 5 letters for those teaser seasons, 10 for what can be a long summer, and 15 letters (FIFTEEN letters!) to describe those potentially long, long winters.

I have no idea how well this is going to work. :P But I do know you guys have come up with absolutely wonderful submissions, and you keep getting stronger with your ideas. :)

Brand new players are absolutely welcome into our wonderful world brought to the forum originally by Emmit, for which we are all eternally grateful :cheers:

Here are the rules:

1. There will be 3 rounds. As mentioned, the topics will be seasons (note - not seasoning!) These topics are going to be absolutely wide open to you, the letters should be your guide to go in whatever direction you desire. Creativity, cleverness, and humour are usually what the voters respond best to.

Entries must only contain words that begin with the letters the Acronym provided; therefore, you may not stick in a word like a, the, of, and, etc or &, @. to make your answer make sense. Players will be asked to re-submit their answer if this happens. However, punctuation may be used, which may help increase meaning.

2. Unlike previous games, Game #13 will have a very strict submission schedule, for the simple reason that I will head off on a week's vacation on January 17th. The deadlines are as follows (mark your calendars!):
Round 1: submissions due at midnight EDST Tuesday, January 6th
Round 2: submissions due at midnight EDST Sunday, January 11th
Round 3: submissions due at Midnight EDST Thursday, January 16th

You will have a week to get your last round votes in, unless I manage to bring a small notepad with me to post results earlier. I will tell you before I leave.

3. Entries should be PM'd to the game host Fragile Bird. Please title your PM Acrophobia 13 - <insert your Board Name> and keep all communication to one thread so the host's inbox does not reach overload. I highlighted this because you only realize how helpful following this style is once you host a game. :)

You may edit/change your entry until the submissions window is closed, just be sure to let me know in a new reply.

4. When all submissions are in, I will post them on this thread.
Entries are to be anonymous, so don't reveal which is your entry. Revealed entries will be disqualified.

5. Players will then have until the next submission date to vote.

Please vote in thread by putting your favorite entry first, preceded by the numeral 1. Then put your second choice preceded by the numeral 2. Finally put your third ranked entry third, preceded by the numeral 3. Please bold your selections and include the submissions number (each round each submission will be numbered).

For example:

1. <Submission #> Best description of the season
2. <Submission #> Second best description
3. <Submission #> Third best description

You may not, of course, vote for your own entry.

You may change your vote up until the voting window closes by editing your original voting post.

6. After Round 1 submissions are over, voting and the submissions for a new round will run simultaneously.

7. Points will be awarded as follows:

1 point for a submission

1 point for voting

3 points for someone choosing your answer as their top choice

2 points for someone choosing your answer as their second choice

1 point for someone choosing your answer as their third choice

4 points for having the answer with the most 1st place votes

Points will be added across the 3 rounds and the person with the most points will be the winner

8. New players may join at any time, both during the submission and voting.

Previous Acrophobia games their winners. Well worth a browse if you're new to the game:

Acrophobia #1: Seven Kingdoms // Sixchins

Acrophobia #2: Eight Events // Sixchins

Acrophobia #3: Seven Devils // Turinqui-Calima

Acrophobia #4: Seven Deities // Turinqui-Calima

Acrophobia #5: Pleasantly Plump // Asshat Ahai

Acrophobia #6: By the book // Evermind

Acrophobia #7: Fan Theories // Howlin' Howland

Acrophobia #8: Little Known Facts About the Reeds // Fragile Bird

Acrophobia #9: Raven Messages // Dolorous Gabe

Acrophobia #10: You Are The Prophesier // Lady Blizzardborn

Acrophobia #11: Animal Life in Westeros // Dolorous Gabe

Acrophobia #12: // A Shadow

I recommend following the thread so you don't miss out on anything.

Good luck Acrophobians, seasoned and green alike. Most importantly, enjoy yourselves :cheers:

ROUND 1

SPRING/FALL, the shoulder seasons

Letters - FPDEW

Spring must be welcome after a hard, hard winter. Sadly, there have even been false springs, with warm weather coming back only to see cruel snow storms return. And sometimes the fall just stretches out, seemingly forever, until that white raven shows up at the maester's window.

DEADLINE: Tuesday, January 6th, 11:59:59 Toronto time

Clock: http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20150106T235959&p0=250

So far I have 6 entries, with just under 12 hours to go. :)

Any more of you out there thinking about getting an entry in?

I don't think I'm revealing any secrets by saying Fall is playing a big role in the entries, simply because of the F popping up in the letters. Trust me, a nice straightforward entry about fall will do it. :)

And so it begins...

ROUND 1 Submissions

Spring/Fall - the shoulder seasons

1. Fall provokes dread, expecting winter.

2. Fleeting periods drape excruciating winters.

3. Fall places deadline: engorge warehouses.

4. Fall Precedes Deadly Epic Winters.

5. "Fall, precious?" Daenerys expects winter.

6. Feeling pressure; Daunting extreme weather.

7. Fall's pantries direly empty -- war.

8. Framing perilous dreaded emptying winter.

9. Farming predicted! Days eventually warming.

Deadline for voting is Sunday, January 11 at 11:59 pm Toronto time

ROUND 2 Submissions

Summer

Letters: NFTGOLSTHP

Summer, beautiful summer. Long Westeros summers, going on year after year after year. What happens in a Westeros summer? It seems like wars happen in summer, with time to recover battle wounds because they are so long. But then again, Winter is coming...

Deadline for Round 2 Submissions is Sunday, January 11 at 11:59 pm Toronto time.

I should be sleeping, instead I'm voting...

1. 8. Framing perilous dreaded emptying winter.

2. 2. Fleeting periods drape excruciating winters.

3. 9. Farming predicted! Days eventually warming.

My congratulations to the authors of my 1 and 2 picks for working BOTH seasons into your entries!

Archived