The Duskendale Affair: What's up with that?

Salafi Stannis

So, I'm wondering, what was going through Lord Darklyn's mind when he decided to kidnap the King, there was literally no way it was going top end well, so, why did he do it? And why did the people in his castle go through with it? I mean, they had to know that they couldn't hold the king forever, and that as soon as he was released, or if they killed him, they would all lose their heads, so why?

So, I'm wondering, what was going through Lord Darklyn's mind when he decided to kidnap the King, there was literally no way it was going top end well, so, why did he do it? And why did the people in his castle go through with it? I mean, they had to know that they couldn't hold the king forever, and that as soon as he was released, or if they killed him, they would all lose their heads, so why?

Wasn't he ensorceled by some lady parts?

Edit: yeah I was thinking of the right guy:

“In Duskendale they love Lord Denys still, despite the woe he brought them. ’Tis Lady Serala that they blame, his Myrish wife. The Lace Serpent, she is called. If Lord Darklyn had only wed a Staunton or a Stokeworth... well, you know how smallfolk will go on. The Lace Serpent filled her husband’s ear with Myrish poison, they say, until Lord Denys rose against his king and took him captive.

The Lace Serpent was burned alive, poor woman, though her tongue was torn out first, and her female parts, with which it was said that she had enslaved her lord. Half of Duskendale will still tell you that Aerys was too kind to her.”

If Lady Serala thought that could work and managed to convince Lord Denys Darklyn to do it, I don't know which of the two was the biggest idiot.

I guess Lord Denys wasn't very well in his head himself. A madman kidnapping another madman.

Perhaps truely just a guess on my part, but kind of like Balon during his rebellion he thought that the other regions may join him once the crown was shown as weak.

At that point the Targaryen were still rock solid, they had not shown any weakness. And why would the greatest lords follow some to-bits lordling like Lord Denys, who for no reason kidnapped the freaking king of the continent?

I guess the kidnapping was an accident of some kind. I doubt it was the plan all along. Things clearly got out of hand somewhere.

This is a really important point. Aerys wanted to show he could be as hard as Tywin and Darklyn was too proud to publicly give up without getting anything for his people. He definitely did not plan that shit.

Edit: also never underestimate the power of the Myrish swamp to cloud one's judgment.

Thank you OP i have been wondering about this as well, It honestly makes 0 sense at all just a rushed event on GRRM part to make aerys go MAD.

There is NO best case scenario to speak of from kidnapping the King who btw had a young adult for an heir to to top it all off. Like what did he think powerful lords were gonna come to the aid of lord who gives a F ?

I sorta think the Lace Serpent is innocent, mostly based on the number of people unfairly hated by the smallfolk (the Red Widow of Coldmoat, Bloodraven, Tyrion, etc)

Yep. Blaming the foreign woman is not exactly something people WOULD NOT do in Westeros.

I guess the kidnapping was an accident of some kind. I doubt it was the plan all along. Things clearly got out of hand somewhere.

How can you accidentally kidnap a person?? :lol:

Or Arrested Development (which coincidentally features Jason Bateman doing the accidental kidnapping as well)

I'm pretty sure Charlie Day was also involved in an "accidental kidnapping" on It' Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

sure accidentally kidnapping him is one thing. they might be able to get out of that with their house still in place.

but threatening to kill the king, and torturing him is an entirely different matter. (like really what were they thinking? :dunno: )

And lady lance may not be so guiltless. the lord of duskdale refused to pay taxes for trade related reason's.

the free cites are far more mercantile than westeros. and a foreigner would probably have less respect for the king's authority. when Myr has Magister's.

until we have more info we can't be certain whether or not she was involved.

Archived