Would Rhaegar have been a good king? [POLL]

Salafi Stannis

Rhaegar was a musician, a poet, a very romantic man and a crown prince.

he was beloved by all, and if he were to ascent the throne, he would have a great advantage to the other claimants inc. Arguably Robert, as he was despised by loyalists. -Rhaegars person would inspire goodwill and make many cases easier to solve.

He was scholar, believed in prophecy and did what he did what little he could to to fullfil them. The Lyanna thing, both Harrenhal and after, proved that he was strong enough to act through unpopularity amongst nobles, which he would have to do alot as king, but he also seemed unconcerned with the consequences. TWOIAF showed the political side of Rhaegar that we didnt know, proving he was capable. He has a flaw concerning love, but as liberal as the Dornish are, his heart could be dealt with, and Lyanna would have been firmly settled if it werent for Aerys' demands of the future rebels heads.

We have now left his biggest flaw, the lack of thinking prundently regarding consequences. This point is what turned ALL of you against him, and is justified!

But a beloved king with balls and ability with a good counsel to help him through with his flaw, and the Lyanna case settled, which would ease him regarding prophecy and love, would make a decent spot?

We dont know enough of him, but hed rank behind Daeron II and Jahaerys I, though far above the claimants at present.

Good? Maybe. (Better)then what we are used to? Yes.

Yes.

And to that little bit above about most readers wouldn't even bother reading twoiaf ? Delusional, much ? Grrm has a fanatical following; of course we're reading his fake history book. That string of choice adjectives you pointed at rhaegar seem better directed at yourself.

Pompous ass.

Well, I didn't know we had actual details on the Trident. Could you please post the source? Thanks.

One thing we actually know about the Trident is that the loyalists got curbstomped. Before Rhaegar died. Long before. Lewyn Martell dead and the Dornishmen driven of the field. Jon Darry dead and Barristan Selmy incapacitated, the other two subcommanders. That's an utter curbstomping.

That was me taking someone's noted "Rhaegar had a calvary advantage" and meditating based on RL tactics what using that calvary to his advantage would have entailed. A what if scenario of what he could have done with said calvary advantage.

We know that Rhaegar had 4,000 knights in addition to a lot of freeriders--that's the basis for the calvary advantage. But then what sources I have available to me don't note the rebels' calvary strength--but it seems odd that one side gets noted for the number of knights (who come with a horse) and freeriders while the other doesn't. Giving such information implies (though by no means confirms) that Rhaegar's side had a calvary advantage, as why else make note that Rhaegar's side had that much calvary to begin with? And besides making note of Rhaegar's calvary (or knight advantage) and implying he had the advantage and Robert still winning at the Trident despite that makes Robert's victory sound all the more impressive.

Looking at the number of notable names getting killed isn't always a good indication as to "curbstomping".

One thing I'm interested in with the battle is Prince Lewyn's threatening Robert's left flank.

Another one that should be noted is that while Rhaegar does have the numbers superiority, Robert's troops were battlehardened--which most definitely changes the advantages in a battle. You might be able to have a large number of raw recruits, but an old contemptible (to use some WWI jargon) is worth a dozen of them.

He would'be been better than Bobby B or The Mad King, that's for sure. But for someone who fanatically interprets and follows prophecies and cares little for his wife's honor to hold the crown would be less than ideal still...

That was me taking someone's noted "Rhaegar had a calvary advantage" and meditating based on RL tactics what using that calvary to his advantage would have entailed. A what if scenario of what he could have done with said calvary advantage.

We know that Rhaegar had 4,000 knights in addition to a lot of freeriders--that's the basis for the calvary advantage. But then what sources I have available to me don't note the rebels' calvary strength--but it seems odd that one side gets noted for the number of knights (who come with a horse) and freeriders while the other doesn't. Giving such information implies (though by no means confirms) that Rhaegar's side had a calvary advantage, as why else make note that Rhaegar's side had that much calvary to begin with? And besides making note of Rhaegar's calvary (or knight advantage) and implying he had the advantage and Robert still winning at the Trident despite that makes Robert's victory sound all the more impressive.

Looking at the number of notable names getting killed isn't always a good indication as to "curbstomping".

One thing I'm interested in with the battle is Prince Lewyn's threatening Robert's left flank.

Another one that should be noted is that while Rhaegar does have the numbers superiority, Robert's troops were battlehardened--which most definitely changes the advantages in a battle. You might be able to have a large number of raw recruits, but an old contemptible (to use some WWI jargon) is worth a dozen of them.

Yes, Rhaegar had more cavalry. The rest is fanfiction.

It wasn't Robert winning at the Trident, by the way. It was Jon Arryn. Or maybe Ned Stark, in a pinch. They get noted as the brains. Robert does it, Cat does it, everybody who'd know does it.

Notable names getting killed is not indicative of a curbstomping - losing 75% (later 100%) of your leadership is. One getting killed happens. Two is bad luck. Three is a strong tendency. All four is an utter curbstomping.

These guys are protected damn well and are expected to primarily lead their troops, not risk their lives unnecessarily.

No.

As a lot of previous posters said, he wouldn't be able to cope with the delicate politics and intrigue of KL.

Additionally, he doesn't seem to bright, putting a prophecy and Lyanna's love before the safety of the realm.

In later years he'd probably go crazy, trying to find a PTWP and possibly hatch dragons.

Yes.

1. He wasn't a religious maniac like Baelor

2. Wasn't a womanizer like Robert and Aegon IV

3. Wasn't a drunk like Robert

4. Was not too fond of tourneys, so he probably wouldn't have spent half the realm's money right before the winter on some champion's purse

5. Wasn't cruel like Maegor and Joffrey

Everybody who ever knew him seemed to think he was a genius, and probably had the popularity and charisma it took to make people love him, why else do you think Aerys' minions were so keen on disinheriting him?

i think that the 10,00 led by lewyn martell was mostly a light Calvary division's.

as dorne is know for their use of light Cavalry.

that being said charging Robert though a ford, gives Robert and Company a large terrain advantage.

if he had waited in the crown lands puppy guarding king's landing and waited for Robert to come to him*. he would have been able to put the flanking Cavalry to much better use in the in the flat land's of the crown.

(* Robert would have to or risk the possibility of reach reinforcement)

i think that the 10,00 led by lewyn martell was mostly a light Calvary division's.

as dorne is know for their use of light Cavalry.

that being said charging Robert though a ford, gives Robert and Company a large terrain advantage.

if he had waited in the crown lands puppy guarding king's landing and waited for Robert to come to him*. he would have been able to put the flanking Cavalry to much better use in the in the flat land's of the crown.

(* Robert would have to or risk the possibility of reach reinforcement)

If you'd like to discuss the Battle of the Trident, you should probably start a dedicated thread. No need to derail this one.

I disagree, by the way.

He might have been an Aegon V style ruler, popular with the commoners but unpredictable at the end

Nah. Aegon was a pushover. His kids did what they did because they knew their father wouldn't make a deal of it. According to Jaime, Rhaegar's voice had "iron tones". It makes it sound like he was the silent type of guy until he spoke up and people had no other option than obey.

If you'd like to discuss the Battle of the Trident, you should probably start a dedicated thread. No need to derail this one.

I disagree, by the way.

Rhaegar prowess as a military commander, would be a factor in my assessment of how well he can deal with ruling and protecting the realm.

so he should have provoked a battle, with a more experienced military commander, while giving him a terrain advantage and a defensive one?

(we all know how that turned out. :stillsick: :drunk: :stillsick: )

instead of drilling his soldier's and waiting for the reinforcement's that would practically insure victory?

Rhaegar prowess as a military commander, would be a factor in my assessment of how well he can deal with ruling and protecting the realm.

so he should have provoked a battle, with a more experienced military commander, while giving him a terrain advantage and a defensive one?

(we all know how that turned out. :stillsick: :drunk: :stillsick: )

instead of drilling his soldier's and waiting for the reinforcement's that would practically insure victory?

No. I disagree on your assessment of the Battle of the Trident in general, Which requires a lengthy post to explain, most likely several in a discussion.

Therefore the hint that you should open a thread detailing you interpretation should you wish to discuss it.

Archived