Small Questions v.10094

Jon Weirgaryen

Are all the capitals of each region the Great Houses? Ex: is the capital of the Reach Highgarden?

Capitals are (by definition) cities where "power" resides. In medieval times it was lord's/king's seat (so immediate answer to your question is yes), while in present times it's usually the city with Parliament's, Goverment's and President's seat.

Why Aegon V and a few other Targaryens was burned in the fires of Summerhall? Mind you "fire cannot kill a dragon"...

Hello, and welcome to the forum :)

Explanation is pretty simple - fire can indeed kill a "dragon". Number of Targs died from fire; in addition to Summerhall tragedy, we also have Aerion Brightflame dying after drinking wildfyre. For the record, GRRM started that Targs are not fireproof, and that Dany surviving the pyre was one-time only magical event.

Is Casterly rock actually three times the size of the Wall or Hightower? (WOIAF) However, I read people claim that WOIAF is biased in favours of Lannister. The picture of the rock certainly doesn't make it seem three times the size of the Wall.

Must have been a figure of speech. The Wall is 100 leagues (1 league equals around 3 miles) long: CR can't be bigger than that. One look at the map is enough to see that.

And, by the way, pro-Lannister bias is pretty obvious in World book, especially on rereads. Notice how Maester Yandel, for example, constantly glorifies Tywin, defends Jaime's kingslaying or suggests that Elia's murder was done by either Aerys or Elia herself (while everyone and their dog knows it was Gregor).

Okey, Aegon II was hurt by dragonfire too on the Dance of Dragons... but... if this was anly magical event, why Deanerys said that Viserys wasn't a dragon?

Because Dany associates dragons with her proud heritage, with power and strength. Notice how she always says to herself I'm blood of the dragon as a way of encouraging herself.

Viserys, meanwhile, is none of that: he is weak, stupid and easily manipulated. Not worthy of being a "dragon" in Dany's mind.

hey guys, random hypothetical question, if it were ever revealed that Robert had a legitimate heir by law of his will (probably not the right phrase but i guessed) or by Cersei that she had sent away but could not find it in her heart to have killed, do you think Stannis would bend the knee or would melisandre twist him against his own sense of justice and make him feel he has come to far to give up his claim

Okey, it makes sense. But i have one more question: why on the illustration in WOIAF there is Summehall in orange fires? Conflagration of this town was bred by wildfire, which flame is green...

You shouldn't read too much into the artwork. Here's what Ran has to say about it:

The art is out-of-world, in the sense that it's not in the maester's actual book, so... some of the art is very close to how George sees things, because he was heavily involved in directing the artists (Nasmith's castles, Villeneuve's mistresses of Aegon IV, Simonetti's Iron Throne), while others had less direct input and are more the artist's interpretation.

hey guys, random hypothetical question, if it were ever revealed that Robert had a legitimate heir by law of his will (probably not the right phrase but i guessed) or by Cersei that she had sent away but could not find it in her heart to have killed, do you think Stannis would bend the knee or would melisandre twist him against his own sense of justice and make him feel he has come to far to give up his claim

I think that Stannis may have reached the point of no return i.e. he will die before bending the knee to anyone else. So even if a will or child were to appear, I think Stan will just consider it a ruse. No need for Mel to 'twist' him.

I believe Melisandre changed target, I wouldn't be surprised if she stopped supporting Stannis to crown Jon as Azor Ahai Reborn.

In any case, yes, I'm sure she'd try to convince Stannis that he has to win the Iron Throne to fight the Great Other, that it's his duty to do so despite any legitimized bastard, for the good of the realm and of the world

Okey, Aegon II was hurt by dragonfire too on the Dance of Dragons... but... if this was anly magical event, why Deanerys said that Viserys wasn't a dragon?

Beyond what the Knight of Winter said, Dany'd been raised with tales of Targaryens depicted as dragons... I wouldn't be surprised if she actually thinks that "true Targaryens" are as immune to fire as their dragons.

Capitals are (by definition) cities where "power" resides. In medieval times it was lord's/king's seat (so immediate answer to your question is yes), while in present times it's usually the city with Parliament's, Goverment's and President's seat.

Beside that, the only "capitals" in Westeros are King's Landing and Oldtown, if you mean by capital a city were political power resides, because the seats of lords in (almost) every other place are castles, were only the noble family and their servants and guards live.

By this means, it's actually useless to look for a capital: if the ruling family in a region changes (as it did in the North, with the title of Warden being passed from the Starks to the Boltons) the capital changes as well (meaning by that, Roose Bolton doesn't take the title of Lord of Winterfell nor any seat in that castle with the title of Warden - and thus high lord - of the North)

Is Casterly rock actually three times the size of the Wall or Hightower? (WOIAF) However, I read people claim that WOIAF is biased in favours of Lannister. The picture of the rock certainly doesn't make it seem three times the size of the Wall.

As they already said, Casterly Rock is three times the height of the Wall, yes. After all, Lomas Longstrider cited it as one of the natural wonders of the world, so it's obviously not just a hill with some gold!

Talking about which, I have a question myself: Do we know when did Lomas Longstrider lived? TWOIAF is full of reference from his books, but I couldn't find any mention on the time when he lived. Was he able to visit Valyria?

p.s. I just found out this was my first post.... so hello y'all! :D

Archived