NFL Playoffs Divisional Round: Bring a good QB or get bounced

Trebla

A strange thing on one of the national shows I heard. This guy (didn't catch the name) suggested those playoff records we love to quote are complete bunk. Mid level QBs getting better records by wining that first round game while the Mannings and Bradys don't start until the competition is higher. He thought when we talk about these either the fist round bye should count as a win (which would put Brady's record to absurd levels) or we talk about them by round in some way (record after week one, conference championship record, etc).

It is a bit convoluted to track obviously, but the point was pretty valid. I always thought Manning's play off woes were overstated, as are people saying things like 'Brady has a loosing record since the last SB win.'

Yeah I've heard that argument before and I think it's fair.

I mean is Carolina any more successful this year because they got a playoff win? They'll still (probably) lose in the divisional round, just like last year. They just benefited from getting matched up with a Division I-AA QB in the wildcard round.

My picks:

Panthers

Packers

Ravens

Broncos

I've got my fingers crossed that Carolina goes all the way, but realistically I don't think that's going to happen this year. :D I think we have a decent chance to beat Seattle on Saturday night, though! However, pretty sure that we'd get destroyed against either Dallas or Green Bay in the championship round.

Guess I better make some picks.

Seattle over Carolina in a Green River Murder case, revisited. I don't care what happened the last two times these teams played. This team was losing to Ryan Lindley at home, at the half. This is a sub .500 Playoff team. Seachickens cruise 27-10.

Pats over Ratbirds in a very close game. I'm guessing a relatively low scoring battle here with both defenses teeing off. Pats edge out Balty 20-17.

The Pack over Dallas in a shootout. I see Rodgers carving up this Dallas secondary all day, and the Dallas offense responding in kind. I'm only taking the Pack due to homefield. Packers edge the Cowboys 36-31 in a barnburner.

Denver over Colts in another relatively high scoring contest. I think Manning the Greater gets off this game, but is matched by his replacement score for score in the early going. Eventually I see the superior defense making some plays and separating the two teams. Denver over Indy 36-27.

Agreed. If I was Marvin Lewis, I'd spygate the entire facility during playoff weeks to see how he preps his team.

Thanks. :P The thing is I actually do got a lot of respect for Ravens playoff magic. It's just Flacco has taken over the Eli Manning mantle in all things including that no matter what I initially intend to write about the guy, something mean comes out.

I don't know, were the Ravens all that magical in the playoffs before 2012?

Carolina - Seattle - Close game to Seahawks. Low scoring affair. 19-13.

Cowboys - Packers Aaron touches the ball last to win. 40-33.

Indy - Denver - CJ Anderson goes nuts. Peyton game manages. Luck pushes too hard and gives up 3 picks. 33-17.

Ravens - Patriots - This season will be Brady's last stand. He doesn't really have the weapons, but he has the spymaster. 27-16

I don't know, were the Ravens all that magical in the playoffs before 2012?

They've won the first game in the playoffs every year going back to 2008, most of the time on the road, against superior opposition. If they played to the talent level they showed during the season, they'd have 2 playoff wins in the Harbaugh era. Instead they have 10. That's pretty magical in my book.

They've won the first game in the playoffs every year going back to 2008, most of the time on the road, against superior opposition. If they played to the talent level they showed during the season, they'd have 2 playoff wins in the Harbaugh era. Instead they have 10. That's pretty magical in my book.

Except for last year, but okay I can see your point. I hadn't realized how often Baltimore won as the lower seed.

The quality remains high but, man, the worst thing about Arizona being eliminated is the end of the Ryan Lindley meme.

Except for last year, but okay I can see your point. I hadn't realized how often Baltimore won as the lower seed.

Yeah last year they sucked and missed the playoffs. Just once they get in they're a terror regardless of how inept they look in the regular season.

At least now they can go terrorize New England.

Another kind of crazy thing to consider with Baltimore and Flacco:

Flacco has already won @ New England in the playoffs twice at this juncture in his career. That is not counting the dime of a TD pass he threw to Reed which was broken up at the last second and saved New England's trip to the Super Bowl. Flacco is an inch away from being 3-0 @ New England in his playoff career.

Not to mention Billy Cundiff's missed chip shot in that game after the Lee Evans drop. I haven't seen that guy since. I think Ray Lewis got to him or something.

Another kind of crazy thing to consider with Baltimore and Flacco:

Flacco has already won @ New England in the playoffs twice at this juncture in his career. That is not counting the dime of a TD pass he threw to Reed which was broken up at the last second and saved New England's trip to the Super Bowl. Flacco is an inch away from being 3-0 @ New England in his playoff career.

It was Lee Evans dropping that pass in the end zone, wasn't it? (Or I guess it was technically ripped away by a Pats DB) And then Cundiff flubbed a late field goal on top of that. Shit, I may have to change my pick in that game.

Apparently Johnny Fucktard had drinks thrown at/on him at a nightclub over the weekend. Those responsible should be given special commendations for services to their country.

ETA: Also, Perry Fewell and Tom Quinn will keep their jobs as Giants defensive coordinator and special teams coordinator, respectively. Another year of shocking mediocrity ahead.

Archived