NFL Playoffs Divisional Round: Bring a good QB or get bounced

Trebla

Redskins complete deal to hire Scot McCloughlin.

Apparently the Redskins did satisfy the Rooney Rule by interviewing the Jets Rod Graves. There is some grumbling that this was just a formality and that the job was already McCloughlins, but I doubt anything comes of it.

Regardless, it is hard not to like this move as a Redskins fan. The guy has an excellent track record with making the most of his draft picks, something the Redskins have done poorly for decades. I hope his alcohol abuse is under control and he can help build some talent on this team.

Really happy to see it's a done deal. Couldn't read any more "expected to sign" stories.

And there's this:

Meanwhile, McCloughan in four years as GM in San Francisco and an executive in Seattle drafted a total of 24 Pro Bowl players, and from 2005-14, he helped with the drafting of 41 Pro Bowl players, according to the NFL Players Association.

Though his biggest challenge will be challenging this shitty team culture. And whether he'll even be allowed to without the Danny interfering. McCloughan comes from multiple winning cultures but so did many big names over the last 15 years who were going to turn this team around. I guess the difference is this is the first proven personnel guy they've ever brought in. Took 7 years of demanding Snyder to bring in a GM. And another 7 to bring in a real GM instead of just a stooge with that title still letting the Danny run his fantasy football team through proxy. Bringing in this level of talent evaluator offers the best hope yet that the Danny is finally beaten down enough to do what should have been done from the very start. But just the possibility of getting the whole draft right (not just 1-2 high picks) for the first time since Casserly in the late 90s is exciting.

The first question, naturally, will be what he thinks about RGIII and what his plan at the QB position will be going forward....

The first question, naturally, will be what he thinks about RGIII and what his plan at the QB position will be going forward....

Although that question might also be the most irrelevant. Most people see 2015 as a tryout year for RG3 to show that he can indeed be a franchise guy. Whether McCloughan thinks he can make it, he's got him, and this team has so many holes, it isn't that hard to just focus on every other position for this draft, and then address Griffin later. The list of positions that need improving through the draft is already long enough without adding quarterback to it. Hell, we could spend this entire draft just on the secondary.

Although that question might also be the most irrelevant. Most people see 2015 as a tryout year for RG3 to show that he can indeed be a franchise guy. Whether McCloughan thinks he can make it, he's got him, and this team has so many holes, it isn't that hard to just focus on every other position for this draft, and then address Griffin later. The list of positions that need improving through the draft is already long enough without adding quarterback to it. Hell, we could spend this entire draft just on the secondary.

I thought 2014 was the tryout year to see if Griffin could indeed be a franchise guy.

Yeah though QB remains the most important position. And this is a guy who helped Seattle take Russell Wilson in the 3rd round. Imagine he'd do the same if there's a guy he's really high on in this draft (and, say, isn't on RGIII's future)

I thought 2014 was the tryout year to see if Griffin could indeed be a franchise guy.

We've set it up as a recurring appointment in Outlook every year 2013-2018.

Yeah though QB remains the most important position. And this is a guy who helped Seattle take Russell Wilson in the 3rd round. Imagine he'd do the same if there's a guy he's really high on in this draft (and, say, isn't on RGIII's future)

I have a minor gripe about people mentioning how awesome Seattle was for taking Russell Wilson in the 3rd round. Or taking Richard Sherman in the 5th. And it's because at those rounds teams have still generally gotten a good look at anyone they took. And if Seattle was so fucking confident in Russell Wilson and Richard Sherman, they'd have taken them in the 1st round.

Obviously they did a good job and picked the right guys, and they deserve a lot of credit for that. But can we stop falling over ourselves acting like the Seahawks knew what those guys would become and diabolically allowed them to fall as part of some master plan?

Pretty rich coming from a Colts fan.

There's a certain element of 'holy shit, we just got lucky' present when you skip out on Ryan Leaf twice in 15 years. Don't think I take it for granted. :P

Obviously they did a good job and picked the right guys, and they deserve a lot of credit for that. But can we stop falling over ourselves acting like the Seahawks knew what those guys would become and diabolically allowed them to fall as part of some master plan?

I don't think anyone is saying that. Think John Schneider with Wilson and Scott Pioli with Tom Brady full admitted they'd have taken the guy in the first round if they knew what they had in him.

But if you are constantly finding underrated gems in the 3rd-5th round like McCloughan's teams, I mean that's a skill. You only get one first round pick after all and there's a ton of guys you probably like.

There's a certain element of 'holy shit, we just got lucky' present when you skip out on Ryan Leaf twice in 15 years. Don't think I take it for granted. :P

The Manning vs Leaf storyline was entirely manufactured, everyone knew Manning was the better pick, and the best quarterback prospect since...ever. Luck vs Griffin was almost as one-sided, with Luck widely considered the strongest prospect since Manning, and Griffin as an excellent, #1 pick type prospect most years, but clearly not as refined or as safe as Luck.

So no, the Colts did not accomplish anything by not blowing the surest #1 picks in history.

I have a minor gripe about people mentioning how awesome Seattle was for taking Russell Wilson in the 3rd round. Or taking Richard Sherman in the 5th. And it's because at those rounds teams have still generally gotten a good look at anyone they took. And if Seattle was so fucking confident in Russell Wilson and Richard Sherman, they'd have taken them in the 1st round.

That's why those picks are genius. If you can get a 1st round level talent in the 3rd or 5th round, you're miles ahead of your competition. Of course they didn't know for sure (nobody does) , but they did manage to identify talent that every other team had passed over.

The Manning vs Leaf storyline was entirely manufactured, everyone knew Manning was the better pick, and the best quarterback prospect since...ever. Luck vs Griffin was almost as one-sided, with Luck widely considered the strongest prospect since Manning, and Griffin as an excellent, #1 pick type prospect most years, but clearly not as refined or as safe as Luck.

So no, the Colts did not accomplish anything by not blowing the surest #1 picks in history.

They did however live up to the giant horseshoe on their helmets by having the opportunity to draft both of the two once-in-a-generation passers of the last 30 years. Actually all three if you factor Elway who they had to trade to Denver because he wouldn't play for the Irsays.

If basing a team's logo off a Lucky Charms symbol is all it took to get that stumbling-blind-drunk-off-your-ass lucky, I'm gonna demand the Skins when they finally rebrand to put giant green clovers on their helmets.

I don't think anyone is saying that. Think John Schneider with Wilson and Scott Pioli with Tom Brady full admitted they'd have taken the guy in the first round if they knew what they had in him.

But if you are constantly finding underrated gems in the 3rd-5th round like McCloughan's teams, I mean that's a skill. You only get one first round pick after all and there's a ton of guys you probably like.

I suppose I'm lashing out at the talking heads who constantly talk about Pete Carrelle and John Schneider like they have never missed on a pick, and like (again) it was some master plan to wait to draft those guys.

I agree totally that it's a skill to find players like that consistently, and a damn rare one, but it's a combination of competence, a lot of luck, and good development. It's not all scouting genius. Because again, if they knew they were that good, they would have taken them with the first picks they had on the board.

Total disclosure. And I only admit this because I trust you guys...

I wanted Griffin.

That's why those picks are genius. If you can get a 1st round level talent in the 3rd or 5th round, you're miles ahead of your competition. Of course they didn't know for sure (nobody does) , but they did manage to identify talent that every other team had passed over.

See above^

Also, don't forget that the Seahawks passed over Wilson 2 times and Sherman at least 4. The draft is way too subjective to pretend that the Seahawks knew they'd get Wilson or Sherman. If the Jaguars don't decide they absolutely need a punter more than they need a QB in the 3rd round, Seattle is toiling at the bottom of the NFC playoff picture.

Yup. Can't decide if I'm in favor. He was a scout for eleven years for the Bears before KC. I'm not sure this doesn't feel like circling the old wagons without being able to be bold. He, I believe, was the one who thought Cedric Benson was a good idea..s

Earl Campbell, Jamall Charles, Ricky Williams, Priest Holmes, Eric Metcalf...

All of these guys were at least very good, if not outstanding running backs from the University of Texas program. I do not fault anyone for thinking that Benson may have had potential as he was every bit as good or better than any of those guys in college.

I agree with this.

Is it because of Luck's drooling problem?

Actually, I just thought Griffin was a lot more exciting. He made me think of Mike Vick with good accuracy, and I kind of thought he was cute.

Note: Mike Vick remains my favorite QB to have ever watched play in his prime.

Also, don't forget that the Seahawks passed over Wilson 2 times and Sherman at least 4. The draft is way too subjective to pretend that the Seahawks knew they'd get Wilson or Sherman. If the Jaguars don't decide they absolutely need a punter more than they need a QB in the 3rd round, Seattle is toiling at the bottom of the NFC playoff picture.

True, but I have to believe that knowing your enemy and risk assessment are necessary tools to sucessful drafting. I think many of the best drafters have a pretty good idea where their competition is looking and when.

True, but I have to believe that knowing your enemy and risk assessment are necessary tools to sucessful drafting. I think many of the best drafters have a pretty good idea where their competition is looking and when.

Sure, but especially on Wilson, you can't play a game of chicken with a franchise quarterback.

Actually, I just thought Griffin was a lot more exciting. He made me think of Mike Vick with good accuracy, and I kind of thought he was cute.

Note: Mike Vick remains my favorite QB to have ever watched play in his prime.

You are dead to me :P

Full disclosure, as a Hokie alum I still AM a big fan of Vick.

I have to mention that I've been watching Parks and Rec for the first time, and the crew just met Jim Irsay, Andrew Luck, and Reggie Wayne. Luck and Wayne were cool and funny. And Irsay was fucking trashed! The guy could barely stand and slur out his lines.

I knew he was a fucking drunk, but he couldn't keep away from the bottle long enough to shoot a fucking 10 second cameo?

Archived