NFL Playoffs Divisional Round: Bring a good QB or get bounced

Trebla

I knew the "Joe Flacco is elite" talk would bring you out of hiding.

You know me so well.

Thing is, I can not, in good conscience, watch the Ravens organization pull off another playoff win. Not after the entire mishandling of Ray Rice. It just would leave a bad taste in my mouth. I would be rooting for whatever team happened upon the Ravens in the playoffs...it just so happens to be my home team.

Eta: that video is the cutest. Way cuter than Lindley. :p

You know me so well.

Thing is, I can not, in good conscience, watch the Ravens organization pull off another playoff win. Not after the entire mishandling of Ray Rice. It just would leave a bad taste in my mouth. I would be rooting for whatever team happened upon the Ravens in the playoffs...it just so happens to be my home team.

Eta: that video is the cutest. Way cuter than Lindley. :P

Yeah, it's kinda like Simmons playing Karma Police whenever he mentions the Ravens. And no question that entire organization deserves its comeuppance for its overall shadiness on so many matters.

The problem is, to quote Blood Diamond: "God left this place a long time ago."

So the guy who was an integral part of building both the insanely talented 49ers and Seahawks rosters, Scot McCloughlan, is about to become the new GM of the Skins.

This is pretty much the dream offseason move for me. Not only a legit GM for the first time in the Danny Snyder era (instead of an unqualified Danny Snyder lackey or the head coach) but also one of the best talent evaluators out there. And it kicks Bruce Allen upstairs to Team President so he can devote his full energies to continuing winning off-the-field.

The only concern is he's been out of football for 9 months due to issues with alcohol abuse and if there's ever an organization that drives someone to drink. I'm only half joking. Wickersham's article makes clear this guy has some real personal demons. Hope he's got a handle on them because it's about to get way harder.

Well, working for Daniel Snyder will surely calm his torment.

Sorry, that seemed needlessly vicious. In seriousness, a Washington fan who's a Facebook friend posted something about how they didn't interview any minority candidates before settling on McCloughan, so they have to pretend they're not hiring him for a while until they can pretend to interview some minority candidates.

Sorry, that seemed needlessly vicious. In seriousness, a Washington fan who's a Facebook friend posted something about how they didn't interview any minority candidates before settling on McCloughan, so they have to pretend they're not hiring him for a while until they can pretend to interview some minority candidates.

Ugh, this team is so stupid.

The Rooney Rule is only for coaches isn't it?

The Rooney Rule is not just for coaches. And I think it has accomplished its intent - even in the process of giving faux interviews, the names of the best candidates of color are at least bantered around. Being on the list is an improvement.

So the guy who was an integral part of building both the insanely talented 49ers and Seahawks rosters, Scot McCloughlan, is about to become the new GM of the Skins.

This is pretty much the dream offseason move for me. Not only a legit GM for the first time in the Danny Snyder era (instead of an unqualified Danny Snyder lackey or the head coach) but also one of the best talent evaluators out there. And it kicks Bruce Allen upstairs to Team President so he can devote his full energies to continuing winning off-the-field.

The only concern is he's been out of football for 9 months due to issues with alcohol abuse and if there's ever an organization that drives someone to drink. I'm only half joking. Wickersham's article makes clear this guy has some real personal demons. Hope he's got a handle on them because it's about to get way harder.

When I heard this name come up on the radio as a suggestion for the Bears and why wouldn't the Bears consider at least talking to him if was decided that, despite any faults, he might be too correct. So of course he was dismissed by the radio hosts. Not because they didn't think him an intriguing candidate, but because it's the Bears.

When I heard this name come up on the radio as a suggestion for the Bears and why wouldn't the Bears consider at least talking to him if was decided that, despite any faults, he might be too correct. So of course he was dismissed by the radio hosts. Not because they didn't think him an intriguing candidate, but because it's the Bears.

From what I heard, the Bears are pretty set on Chris Ballard who was with the Chiefs before. He's been turning down interviews with the Eagles and Jets so sounds like it's on its way to being a done deal.

And once he's hired, they can interview Mike Shanahan....

Now that Al Davis has shuffled off this mortal coil I think there's only one place for Mike Shanahan :P

Besides, Shanahan's gotta get that Raider money he's still owed back somehow!

Absolutely.

And Mike Shanahan is also 22-7 against the Raiders. Honestly the easiest way to improve their record is just making sure Mike Shanahan isn't coaching someone else who might play them.

Also from what i know of Shanny, he'd be legitimately curious what it's like to work for a guy who willingly goes with the Lloyd Christmas haircut.

From what I heard, the Bears are pretty set on Chris Ballard who was with the Chiefs before. He's been turning down interviews with the Eagles and Jets so sounds like it's on its way to being a done deal.

And once he's hired, they can interview Mike Shanahan....

Yup. Can't decide if I'm in favor. He was a scout for eleven years for the Bears before KC. I'm not sure this doesn't feel like circling the old wagons without being able to be bold. He, I believe, was the one who thought Cedric Benson was a good idea..s

Patriots over Ravens (Pats fans are scared, but Baltimore is living off reputation, they have too many weaknesses in this one)

Seattle over Carolina (much like how the Pittsburgh game wasn't much of an indication of Baltimore's strength, Carolina beating on Lindley really isn't indicative of much)

Denver over Indianapolis (unless Peyton's struggles are as bad as the hyperbole, Denver is too complete and Indy is too lacking in areas)

Dallas over Green Bay (My upset pick, Dallas just looks like a team poised to make a run)

Lol, yeah, I think the Slurs drama will be a welcome relief, in terms of being less personal than what apparently drove him into the bottle, but of course it's always a concern when there's a prior record of substance abuse becoming a work time/place issue. Guy knows talent, and imo has the gift of uncomplicating the talent build. Expect a lot of archetypes; big/power guys on the OL except LT, size/speed in the midfield, etc. generally size/strength a priority except at the skill positions, where he allows for more nuance.

Unless someone jumps out, he'll start with the lines...expect like a 2-3 year commitment to prioritizing there, assuming he stays.

Archived