NFL Playoffs Divisional Round: Bring a good QB or get bounced

Trebla

Hmm lemme see. Starr, Bradshaw, Plunkett, Staubach, Montana, Simms, Aikman, Elway, Brady, Roethlisberger, E. Manning.

And really I'm not sure you should count Simms. Jeff Hostetler won the final five games of the season for the Giants because Simms was out with a broken foot. The team was 11-3 when Simms got hurt, so he obviously contributed. While you can accurately say he has multiple rings, I wouldn't call him a "multiple Super Bowl Winning" quarterback.

And really I'm not sure you should count Simms. Jeff Hostetler won the final five games of the season for the Giants because Simms was out with a broken foot. The team was 11-3 when Simms got hurt, so he obviously contributed. While you can accurately say he has multiple rings, I wouldn't call him a "multiple Super Bowl Winning" quarterback.

True. Because as an even more extreme example, I remember Jim McMahon being on that '96 Packers team.

True. Because as an even more extreme example, I remember Jim McMahon being on that '96 Packers team.

Yeah, I'd actually wondered if there were other cases of backup veterans who won their second ring that way. A quick internet search says that there are 12 quarterbacks with multiple rings, but only ten who are "multiple super bowl winners". Simms and McMahon are the only two quarterbacks to get a second ring but who did not play in both of their SB victories.

Yeah, I'd actually wondered if there were other cases of backup veterans who won their second ring that way. A quick internet search says that there are 12 quarterbacks with multiple rings, but only ten who are "multiple super bowl winners". Simms and McMahon are the only two quarterbacks to get a second ring but who did not play in both of their SB victories.

Steve Young?

Steve Young?

Oooh yeah. Steve Young's an interesting one. Backup for the win in SB 23, played mop-up time, I think, in SB 24, and got one of his own in 29. And he got a lot of regular-season playing time during those earlier years because Walsh kept fucking around with Montana (and, to be fair, Montana's health issues).

Highlights how unusual the 49ers QB situation was in the late 80s -- Montana won the MVP in 1989 while his backup threw for over 1000 yards and 8 touchdowns.

How cool would that have been? Why the hell didn't he break off a call? I would've loved to see that.

I'm really glad he didn't do that. I would hate to see Kurt Warner as a shadow of himself out there just getting hammered. And I really don't see how any guy, even if he is staying in great shape, could just come off the couch after four years of retirement and do well at age 43.

For me there's always something kind of sad when a formerly great player has obviously lost it, and is still out there. Maybe in a kinder sport like baseball that isn't so bad, but I have no desire to see Warner getting crushed over and over by men twenty years younger than him.

So Trent Richardson has officially been demoted to special teams, according to reporters who witnessed Colts practice. I'm glad they're not hamstringing themselves trying to pretend he's an offensive contributor, but I worry about how he's gonna fuck up punt coverage. How is a guy who can't take three steps without falling down gonna make a downfield tackle? And if they actually try to run him on a fake, I'll kill myself.

In other news, Kyle Shannahan has officially been fired in Cleveland. The Browns are my new favorite Toilet Team.

I'm really glad he didn't do that. I would hate to see Kurt Warner as a shadow of himself out there just getting hammered. And I really don't see how any guy, even if he is staying in great shape, could just come off the couch after four years of retirement and do well at age 43.

For me there's always something kind of sad when a formerly great player has obviously lost it, and is still out there. Maybe in a kinder sport like baseball that isn't so bad, but I have no desire to see Warner getting crushed over and over by men twenty years younger than him.

When you put it that way, sure, I wouldn't have wanted to see that either. That being said, I have to imagine he would've breathed some life into that offense.

When you put it that way, sure, I wouldn't have wanted to see that either. That being said, I have to imagine he would've breathed some life into that offense.

I'm sure he would have been better than Lindley, that's obvious. And maybe (probably not, but maybe) good enough to win against the Panthers. But so what? Assuming he was able to walk after that game (and the Panthers would have made hitting him the #1 priority), Seattle is where Hall of Fame quarterbacks go to do their Ryan Lindley impressions. It would be ugly.

Early word this morning has Yumbo and the Niners eyeing one another...

I can make two promises on this: He's not coming there to kiss Pete Carroll's ring and they better have some goddamn snacks in the interview room

It would probably have been redolent of the awful, tragic hammering Muhammad Ali took in his almost-last fight, against Larry Holmes... but I bet he would have done better than Lindley.

Early word this morning has Yumbo and the Niners eyeing one another...

I think I put together from context before that "Yumbo" is Rex Ryan. Is that right? Not sure what the nickname comes from, besides a Burger King sandwich... I'm not sure how I feel about Rex going to my favorite NFC franchise and the team of my youth. I guess watching him try to get Pete Carroll to blow his cool might be fun. But I do not think it would be good for the Niners.

Archived