Best Disney Movie and why?

Seaworth'sShipmate

Can't believe no one's mentioned Mulan... one of my favorites and with a great soundtrack as well.

Lion King probably is the best. My personal favorite is Pocahontas (sort of a tenuous relationship with it now, but I can't deny the nostalgia factor that comes in when choosing favorites.)

My favourite is Lion King. There was so much passion that went into that film. The music is so catchy and I can listen to the songs repeatedly and they still make me feel like an excited child watching it for the first time. It also embraces the natural world with such emotion and still manages to squeeze humour into it.The Lion King and Frozen are the best music-wise. I can't watch either of those films without bursting into song.

My other favourites are Alice in Wonderland (because Lewis Carroll) and Aristocats (because cats).

Aestas - Pocahontas is definitely better than its remake by James Cameron. The Lion King loses some lustre for me because of its truly horrible soundtrack. The Nightmare Before Christmas, released the same year, seemed to have stolen the good songs.

As for the comment on James Cameron - yes, that's true.

But I love the Lion King soundtrack. Not my absolute favorite, but still - Be Prepared, Can You Feel the Love Tonight? They're great.

Really hated the Lion King. Ignorant entitled brat missing out on his chance to lord it over an oppressed race (hyenas). Boo hoo. The sidekicks are obnoxious and unfunny as well.

Most beautiful and painterly is Bambi, I have a soft spot for the great slapstick physicality of the animation in The Jungle Book and Robin Hood, though the former has some problematic racist elements and the latter some dated sexist humor.

So I guess that leaves Beauty and the Beast as the best, though I would sooner watch Tangled. I'm inclined to exclude Disney's latter-day CGI stuff as it is Lasseter-helmed and thus quasi-Pixar in my mind. But if it comes down to Tangled vs Frozen, Tangled is far superior, with a much tighter, thematic story, well-defined protagonist and great villain.

I agree about Frozen, disagree about Elsa. ;)

There's no firm evidence either way for Elsa's orientation, but her song certainly has a hell of a lot of resonance for a queer audience.

Sleeping Beauty doesn't have the best story, but it has, by a LARGE margin, the best artwork of any Disney movie, and is one of the beautifully animated movies of all time. It's the only movie that you can pause at any moment and it looks perfect.

Most beautiful and painterly is Bambi, I have a soft spot for the great slapstick physicality of the animation in The Jungle Book and Robin Hood, though the former has some problematic racist elements and the latter some dated sexist humor.

Yeah, because according to some people in society today everything has to be politically correct all the time. Give me a break with this crap. Jungle Book racist and Robin Hood sexist. Seems like you're looking for things to whine about

I have an autistic brother who watches Disney films all day long. At this point I must know half of them by heart. Literally, I'm pretty sure if I focused I could deliver the lines of every single charcter in The Lion King in order from start to finish.

So yeah, I'd say my favorite is the Lion King. I'm 24 and I still have manly tears when Mufasa dies, and Scar is the most infinitely hateable Disney villain in history. Yes I know they ripped of Shakespeare and a Japanese movie but half of Disney's movies (at least) are ripoffs anyway.

Honorable mentions go to The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, The Great Mouse Detective and Bambi. Hunchback also gets an award for having the best villain song of all times. Be Prepared is good, but nothing beats Hellfire https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqGL9B_TPTI

For Pixar movies, nothing comes close to Finding Nemo to me. I mean, the rest is pretty good, but Nemo is just a fantastic film.

^ Scar is a pretty hateable villain, but most hateable? I think I'd have to go with Lady Tremaine.

See?:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uALSQG6pkTc. Thing is, I can see abusive parents like this sort of existing.

I would have to agree that even if Beauty and the Beast isn't quite my fav, it definitely is Disney's most quality work. No coincidence it is basically the only animated film that won an oscar for best picture.

I don't really mind the prevalence of CGI disney movies as opposed to traditional hand drawn. I think the latter may have somewhat run its course. I notice no one mentioned liking the "Frog Prince." That is a perfect example of trying to turn the disney clock back to 1993 or so. It didn't really work.

Personally I think the best Disney movies were made between 1988 and 1994. After that (with the exception of Mulan) they were all merely so-so

Archived