Trial by Seven Face-off: Stannis vs. Robb: Who wins?

Floki of the Ironborn

Maybe a bit of an oversight on my part... I do remember that line now though, just before

he sends him to Braavos right?

Okay so probably replace Massey with Bryce.

He never said he had 500 swords better then massey. It was just as good, stating they were at least in the same ball park as him but not all better then him. But him as a great speaker and people person is more useful to Stannis when it comes to hiring sell swords etc. If Massey was some scrub he would have never been that close to Stannis as he always is. Like in black water battle, Stannis wouldnt have some scrub being right next to him.

I would also imagine when he was king bobs squire he learned at least some fighting skills and not just how to sleep with multiple women

But Stannis should be

Rolland Storm

Richard Horpe

Godry Farring the giant slayer

Clayton Suggs

Guyard Morrigen

etc the guys like those and then Stannis team mops them

Especially with Rolland Storm and Richard Horpe.

Horpe was good enough to be a kings guard for king bob but due to his killing nature he scared Cersei. And to have someone like Cersei fear you, gotta be a bad mofo lol.

Rolland Storm is metal as hell. Another guy Cersei considers a seasoned killer and she sends Loras to dragon stone assuming that Storm will take care of him and kill him. That aside, what he did in the battle of blackwater was hands down bad ass. Battle was lost and turning, and him and his garrison straight went to work even with being out numbered and straight whooped ass and was able to clear the rearguard and Stannis was able to retreat safely

and Renly and six of his Rainbow Guard. Of course this would decimate Stannis's current group, since his first two are Rainbow Guard, and I don't know enough about the rest of his men to propose replacements. But that would be the melee to end all melees.

It would be even worse for Stannis as if Renly is still alive he is left with only Estemont, because all of the rest were originally pledged to Renly with Horpe possibly swinging either way as they are only first mentioned in Storm.

It would be even worse for Stannis as if Renly is still alive he is left with only Estemont, because all of the rest were originally pledged to Renly with Horpe possibly swinging either way as they are only first mentioned in Storm.

Might want to go and recheck on whom was with that clown Renly at the start

Might want to go and recheck on whom was with that clown Renly at the start

Morrigan was in Renly's Rainbow Guard, Caron was in Renly's Rainbow Guard, Storm would be fighting with half-brother thus on Renly's side, and Fossoway was on Renly's side. Horpe isn't mentioned until ASOS thus we don't know where he was while Renly was alive, but most likely he was with Stannis. Only Andrew Estremont was on Stannis' side at the start for sure. Thus, creating a situation where that clown Stannis' Seven is likely only made up of him and Estremont.

I think I prefer an all-time contest, since Stannis' team that would have been contemporary with Robb's just wouldn't be able to compete. So I'd make it:

- Stannis Baratheon

- Jon Snow

- Mance Rayder

- Styr

- Asha Greyjoy

- Qarl the Maid

- and just for fun, Ned Stark since he died for Stannis

well i recon the Umbers have a strong marshal culture so they should be skilled enough. We simply don't have enough information to brush the Umbers off. And i recon the talent pool available to Robb is much greater than Stannis!!!! Robb easily wins

i think the umbers are overrated,they are strong,but not that skilled.

so stannis easily wins this one

Where is that stated? The GreatJon has been through plenty of battles - both in RR and Wot5K and come out unscathed. Ned calls him the bravest of his bannermen. The guy laughs when his fingers are chewed off by a direwolf (srsly wtf??) and it takes something like 5 men to bring him down even after he has drank more than any normal human could endure. And IIRC when Jaime is listing the most dangerous fighters in his mind - he lists the GreatJon among them. 

As for the SmallJon - I believe he was as big if not bigger than the GreatJon. These 2 alone can carry Robb's team. Not to mention the guys like Jason Mallister, Black Walder Frey and the BlackFish - all of whom are highly skilled and recognized fighters in their own rights.

Morrigan was in Renly's Rainbow Guard, Caron was in Renly's Rainbow Guard, Storm would be fighting with half-brother thus on Renly's side, and Fossoway was on Renly's side.  Horpe isn't mentioned until ASOS thus we don't know where he was while Renly was alive, but most likely he was with Stannis.  Only Andrew Estremont was on Stannis' side at the start for sure.  Thus, creating a situation where that clown Stannis' Seven is likely only made up of him and Estremont.

Renlys rainbow guard doesnt mean that they are these amazing top fighters. They were the best from his initial army. And you are confused on who was actually with him still

Also off topic but how come when I made this exact thread it gets moved to forum games.......

I think I prefer an all-time contest, since Stannis' team that would have been contemporary with Robb's just wouldn't be able to compete. So I'd make it:

- Stannis Baratheon

- Jon Snow

- Mance Rayder

- Styr

- Asha Greyjoy

- Qarl the Maid

- and just for fun, Ned Stark since he died for Stannis

That Stannis team sucks compared to him with, Rolland Storm, Horpe, Giant Slayer, Suggs, Morrigan, Massey, and the last people debate but that team is much better then having Asha and Qarl etc, like not even close....

In this hypothetical showdown, Stannis and Robb are going head-to-head in a trial by seven. They've both got six of their best warriors fighting for them in this battle royale.

Assuming we're going by ACOK in terms of canon, Stannis and Robb are both at their peak in terms of warriors to choose from. So this is the line-up:

Team Baratheon
Stannis Baratheon

Guyard Morrigan

Richard Horpe

Rolland Storm

Bryce Caron

Andrew Estremont

Jon Fossoway

Team Stark

Robb Stark

Greatjon Umber

Jason Mallister

Smalljon Umber

Wendel Manderly

Robin Flint
Perwyn Frey

Who wins?

Stannis vs Robb. Robb dies quickly.

Morrigen vs Greatjon. Greatjon dies quickly and I don't care if he has the ugliest greatsword Robb has ever seen, Morrigen is a renowned knight in his prime and the Greatjon is a cartoonish barbarian.

Horpe vs Mallister. Mallister gives a good showing, but is middle aged and Horpe is the goddamn Slayer.

Storm vs Smalljon. Smalljon's size is a plus, but Strom is a veteran killer. A good showing and the Northman goes down.

Caron vs Manderly. Mandely barely sits a horse, it is safe to say his skill not being mentioned as far above average wins him the same end as the previouse Northmen.

Estermont vs Flint. Estermont has youth. Neither of the two is especially note-worthy. Estermonts takes this by default.

Fossoway vs Frey. Neither is note-worthy. Toss up or Frey's relative youth wins him this first and only Northern victory. The other six foes make short work of him if he does, though.

If Stannis has Suggs, Farring and Massey he crushes the Northmen without a loss. The Greatjon's hype is void of actual substance.

Renlys rainbow guard doesnt mean that they are these amazing top fighters. They were the best from his initial army. And you are confused on who was actually with him still

Also off topic but how come when I made this exact thread it gets moved to forum games.......

Didn't say they were amazing swordsmen. Whom him I confused who was actually with him?

Stannis vs Robb. Robb dies quickly.

Morrigen vs Greatjon. Greatjon dies quickly and I don't care if he has the ugliest greatsword Robb has ever seen, Morrigen is a renowned knight in his prime and the Greatjon is a cartoonish barbarian.

Horpe vs Mallister. Mallister gives a good showing, but is middle aged and Horpe is the goddamn Slayer.

Storm vs Smalljon. Smalljon's size is a plus, but Strom is a veteran killer. A good showing and the Northman goes down.

Caron vs Manderly. Mandely barely sits a horse, it is safe to say his skill not being mentioned as far above average wins him the same end as the previouse Northmen.

Estermont vs Flint. Estermont has youth. Neither of the two is especially note-worthy. Estermonts takes this by default.

Fossoway vs Frey. Neither is note-worthy. Toss up or Frey's relative youth wins him this first and only Northern victory. The other six foes make short work of him if he does, though.

If Stannis has Suggs, Farring and Massey he crushes the Northmen without a loss. The Greatjon's hype is void of actual substance.

I think the Umbers and maybe Robb win their fights but agree with the restt. The Greatjon was named by Jaime as one of the few men who could defeat him, so that should count for something.

Archived