NFL Championship weekend part 2: Seahawks soar, Packers choke

Trebla

Has the Brady sneak ever failed?

Heh. You know it's a bad call when Mike Carey says it's good.

Man, Mike Carey - I thought he was a good ref on the field. He's horrible in the booth.

The only guarantee in playoff football is that Mike Carey is always wrong.

Damned but I can't get over the GB-Seattle game. I was prepared for a loss, but not for getting my hopes raised so high and then so thoroughly crushed. And then raised again, briefly when they tied the game at the end of regulation, only to be completely eviscerated by a defense that decided it was not going to show up for OT. If they had just been thoroughly beaten by the Seahawks as I expected I would have been fine. With how it happened though makes it something very different. I've suffered through a lot of difficult losses over the years for the Pack, as well as other teams I follow closely. The loss to the Giants in the NFC title game back in 08 (or was it 07) comes to mind. As does the Badger men's basketball loss to a Kentucky team I despise in last years final 4. This is by far the hardest to take, though, because it happened because of sheer stupidity on the part of the coaching staff and failure to execute by the players. The Packers could have put this game away so many times and found ways not too. I try to downplay my emotions when it comes to the outcome of sporting events, because in the end they are only games, but this was truly heartbreaking. The sheer futility of watching this tea find a way to fail remains agonizing to contemplate. I do not have enough alcohol in the house to began to deal with this.

I think the "Gronkowski Rule" is interesting where the guy covering Gronk can grab, hold and pull and the penalty is not called and Phil Simms says its not a apenalty. Well played.

Feel like the refs are definitely allowing more physical secondary play in this one.

That said, Vontae Davis is unquestionably pwning Gronk so far. 4 targets, 0 catches.

I think the "Gronkowski Rule" is interesting where the guy covering Gronk can grab, hold and pull and the penalty is not called and Phil Simms says its not a a penalty. Well played.

Well, the 'Browner Rule' states that a player cannot be penalized for defensive holding on every single play. It's why he only gets 7 per game. But I'm sure you know you're being biased, Rockroi. That wasn't much and it was within 5 yards anyways. Besides, everyone knows you can get away with a little extra at NE in the AFC Championship. ;)

Feel like the refs are definitely allowing more physical secondary play in this one.

That said, Vontae Davis is unquestionably pwning Gronk so far. 4 targets, 0 catches.

Yeah, though the two statements are not mutually exclusive - if Davis or whomever can grab and pull at him I mean... that pulling and holding is such an advantage - almost like having Gronk in double coverage,

With that said, I don't understand - you have 93 yards rushing for the half; 4.7 yards a carry; the Colts are BEGGING you to run on them. WTF? Why not just go at them with the run? Blount looks fine; the O-Line is winning in the trench. Why try to force the ball to Gronk? Why not run, throw short, make that D focus on that and then when you get a supreme mismatch- throw it in to Gronk etc?

The rain is supposed to intensify over the next two hours. Both QBs are struggling. If the run is working... just run. Keep it Simple.

Not making the play on that onside kick is one thing, but the truth is that should have been a 30 point game by then.

That is exactly it. There is no reason that Seattle should been even close enough to come back. There are a lot of people looking at a few plays at the end, especially the mishandling of the onside kick, as the reason for the loss. They lost because they failed to manage the game and failed to take advantage of numerous opportunities that were offered to them to put the game out of reach. This is McCarthy's fault, plain and simple.

That is exactly it. There is no reason that Seattle should been even close enough to come back. There are a lot of people looking at a few plays at the end, especially the mishandling of the onside kick, as the reason for the loss. They lost because they failed to manage the game and failed to take advantage of numerous opportunities that were offered to them to put the game out of reach. This is McCarthy's fault, plain and simple.

I kept thinking, while they were up 16-0, it really should have been 24-0 at least. If even one of those three goal-line FGs had been a touchdown instead...

Crap-ass McCarthy. Played not to lose on the road against the defending champs, had every break imaginable, and still he turtled it up enough to lose. That game deserve to have Denny Green wheeled out to give the "crown their asses!" rant again.

Good start. MAke the Colts have to throw the ball in bad situations, but keep that interior pressure so you can bat a ball or two and make Luck throw high (more lilely to get a ball tipped up and picked).

Just keep doing this and nothing more deep. The receivers can get the YAC. Don't force it.

Archived