NFL Suberb Owl: Evil Empire vs Legion of Boom

Manhole Eunuchsbane

Josh Gordon rips his critics. I love it. https://medium.com/the-cauldron/an-open-letter-to-charles-barkley-co-cb5c4e64cf3

FUCK THE NFL

Very well written piece, but fraught with excuses. I like how he called out members of the media for their faux concern. Outside of that, I'm glad he's not asking for any sympathy, because I don't have any for him.

Very well written piece, but fraught with excuses. I like how he called out members of the media for their faux concern. Outside of that, I'm glad he's not asking for any sympathy, because I don't have any for him.

I don't think it is fraught with excuse at all. In fact, the only thing that could be considered an excuse, mentioning his upbringing, he spefically states he is not using to try to excuse his behavior.

I don't think it is fraught with excuse at all. In fact, the only thing that could be considered an excuse, mentioning his upbringing, he spefically states he is not using to try to excuse his behavior.

He listed an excuse for every single infraction. "Just .01 over the legal limit. Second-hand smoke. Didn't realize the league imposed restriction on alcohol hadn't expired with the end of the season."

/Oh yeah, I forgot "I didn't realize the codeine based medication my physician prescribed might put me in violation of league drug policy."

I do- to an extent. If he learns from his mistakes and cleans up his act, great. If not, well , he'll have to pay the consequences. And there is a limit to how much a team and the league will allow, as there should be.

Reasons aren't always excuses and I get a little tired of people becoming so judgemental.

Every person on this planet has fucked up. Every person on this planet has fucked up multiple times. Sometimes, we have made the mistake over and over again and sometimes you have to learn a lesson over and over before it sinks in. That is human nature. Especially if we are trying to overcome old habits.

I wish him luck.

Every person on this planet has fucked up. Every person on this planet has fucked up multiple times. Sometimes, we have made the mistake over and over again and sometimes you have to learn a lesson over and over before it sinks in. That is human nature. Especially if we are trying to overcome old habits.

I wish him luck.

Absolutely. I'm a former meth addict. I know plenty about fucking up.

The thing is, if you're looking for proof of true contrition here I think you're going to be disappointed. His actions, and the results of his actions show that he is not contrite. Talk is cheap. The league has given this guy plenty of rope, and he justs continues to hang himself with it.

I wish him luck as well, but I don't think luck is going to serve him if he continues to deny the depth of his problem.

It was a good read and nearly convincing. The stuff he said about not making excuses and accepting blame for his fuckups reads well, but yeah, he undermines it by... making excuses and trying to dodge blame. As Manhole said.

If he was really that contrite and accepting of his mistakes, he'd have spared us the "Just over the legal limit" and "I had two beers and two drinks on a plane (seriously, how long was that flight that you need four drinks?) that just happened to be four hours before a drug test after the league told me to avoid alcohol which I thought was too strict but I totally manned up and signed that agreement and now let's ignore that I broke it" bits.

I did like how he opened with the broadsides at the presumptuous, professional concern trolls like Stephen A Smith.

It was a good read and nearly convincing. The stuff he said about not making excuses and accepting blame for his fuckups reads well, but yeah, he undermines it by... making excuses and trying to dodge blame. As Manhole said.

If he was really that contrite and accepting of his mistakes, he'd have spared us the "Just over the legal limit" and "I had two beers and two drinks on a plane (seriously, how long was that flight that you need four drinks?) that just happened to be four hours before a drug test after the league told me to avoid alcohol which I thought was too strict but I totally manned up and signed that agreement and now let's ignore that I broke it" bits.

I did like how he opened with the broadsides at the presumptuous, professional concern trolls like Stephen A Smith.

I don't think that undermined anything. I think those pieces are important parts of the story if true. It puts the egregious crimes in perspective of what they actually were versus what everyone thought they were.

It was very well written and if true, a series of fuck ups. The proof is now in the pudding whether he correct his ways. He's just gone public and took blame, so now is the opportunity to change perception.

He listed an excuse for every single infraction. "Just .01 over the legal limit. Second-hand smoke. Didn't realize the league imposed restriction on alcohol hadn't expired with the end of the season."

/Oh yeah, I forgot "I didn't realize the codeine based medication my physician prescribed might put me in violation of league drug policy."

Yes, the codeine based thing was an excuse. My mistake. The other's are not excuses, they are stating what according to Gordon are the facts.

Those aren't excuses, they are what he is alleging are the facts surrounding his positive tests, and are necessary to make his main point that he is not an addict, he doesn't want fake support from a bunch of media hacks commenting blindly on his life, and that the NFL is a bunch of hypocrites.

I think there was one excuse that was fair game. The bit about the league taking 2 specimens, one of them being positive, and the other being within normal limits. When that occurs, both results should be tossed, and then he should be retested. Lab anomalies do occur.

Those aren't excuses, they are what he is alleging are the facts surrounding his positive tests, and are necessary to make his main point that he is not an addict, he doesn't want fake support from a bunch of media hacks commenting blindly on his life, and that the NFL is a bunch of hypocrites.

You're just giving him more rope. .01 over the legal limit is still a DUI. I suppose you could consider it more of a mitigation than an excuse, but bringing it up is weak. "I didn't know" is an excuse. It's an excuse my 14 year old son trots out almost daily.

You're just giving him more rope. .01 over the legal limit is still a DUI. I suppose you could consider it more of a mitigation than an excuse, but bringing it up is weak. "I didn't know" is an excuse. It's an excuse my 14 year old son trots out almost daily.

It would be an excuse if he was trying to excuse his behavior and avoid punishment. He's not. He's trying to paint a picture that he is not an addict, of which the circumstances surrounding his failed tests and arrests are 100% relevant.

It would be an excuse if he was trying to excuse his behavior and avoid punishment. He's not. He's trying to paint a picture that he is not an addict, of which the circumstances surrounding his failed tests and arrests are 100% relevant.

That's fair. I have no more right to assume he's an addict than Sir Charles or Chris Carter do, I don't know the man. That being said, often one of the first casualties of addiction is damage to ones career.

That's fair. I have no more right to assume he's an addict than Sir Charles or Chris Carter do, I don't know the man. That being said, often one of the first casualties of addiction is damage to ones career.

I want to clarify, I have no idea if he is an addict or not. You're right, the loss of a career is a big red flag. If he is an addict, I hope he can eventually recognize that and get the help he needs.

I was really trying to comment on the silly reaction that the media and fans have to these type of situations. Athletes, actors, celebrities of any stripe are never a allowed to be human, to screw up, to make bad choices.

I bet you anything there are a bunch of know it all twits sitting at a bar judging a young man while they chug their six beers - and then they get in a car and drive home.

He just seems immature to me. He might be making millions but he's not even 23. And he keeps making stupid mistakes - though each one is different and can be filed under the general "not a professional yet" banner. But I see no signs of addiction or any more so than your average 23 year old not making millions. And I've listened to Cris Carter talk about Josh Gordon on the radio. It seemed hyperbolic at the time and even more so now once the facts of each situation are relayed.

Yes, Josh Gordon continues to do idiotic things. But more to the point it shines a light on the draconian substance abuse policies of the NFL. I've seen other guys talk about it, but that once you're in the program you can't have a single drop of alcohol all season? It's too harsh. It's like the 3-strikes-and-your-out rule of the NFL. All it does is encourage relapses. And as we've seen it's totally out of line without how other non-substance abuse related suspensions are leveled.

Granted he could be lying making all of the above moot. All I can say is he seems genuine in the letter and embarrassed and annoyed at these talking heads who act like they know him and yet have never even shaken his hand. If I was a Browns fan I'd feel a lot better about Josh Gordon eventually getting his head on straight after reading this letter.

ETA: This doesn't even get into what the NFL's policy on weed should be.

Wait a minute, is it kosher for the NFL to be making rules changes on the fly like this?! :P

ETA: Ooooh, the plot thickens! Blandino says ineligible players were signaled in the AFC title game!

"We made a call and asked about that. They came back with a very clear response," Carroll said. "They're going to have a new signal that designates when a player is, with an ineligible number, will be eligible -- that's the same -- but when an eligible number is now ineligible, they're going to make new a declaration to the players on the field, so that you'll clearly identify that. I know the league is absolutely committed to getting that right and doing that well. The Patriots have brought that to the forefront, because they've been using some stuff like that lately."

Carroll said referees will point to an eligible player and will make an arm-crossing motion at the knees for a player reporting as ineligible -- several reporters present have said the motion Carroll portrayed looked like The Charleston.

The Seahawks coach claimed officials made a mistake during the AFC Championship Game on a Patriots touchdown throw to Nate Solder, when they allowed a player who had reported eligible the previous play to remain in the game as an ineligible player without indicating, causing confusion for the defense.

UPDATE: NFL VP of officiating Dean Blandino clarified Carroll later Thursday, telling reporters that officials pointed out ineligible players during the AFC Championship Game:

"I think it was just in the conversation, he may have misinterpreted that it was new," he said. "We actually did do it during the AFC Championship Game."

Blandino also said that the Solder TD was in fact an illegal play and should have been penalized.

(Emphasis mine except "UPDATE:")

Heavy on the " :P". I just thought it was interesting.

I bet you anything there are a bunch of know it all twits sitting at a bar judging a young man while they chug their six beers - and then they get in a car and drive home.

I wouldn't take that bet because I think you're absolutely right!

He just seems immature to me. He might be making millions but he's not even 23. And he keeps making stupid mistakes - though each one is different and can be filed under the general "not a professional yet" banner. But I see no signs of addiction or any more so than your average 23 year old not making millions. And I've listened to Cris Carter talk about Josh Gordon on the radio. It seemed hyperbolic at the time and even more so now once the facts of each situation are relayed.

Yes, Josh Gordon continues to do idiotic things. But more to the point it shines a light on the draconian substance abuse policies of the NFL. I've seen other guys talk about it, but that once you're in the program you can't have a single drop of alcohol all season? It's too harsh. It's like the 3-strikes-and-your-out rule of the NFL. All it does is encourage relapses. And as we've seen it's totally out of line without how other non-substance abuse related suspensions are leveled.

Granted he could be lying making all of the above moot. All I can say is he seems genuine in the letter and embarrassed and annoyed at these talking heads who act like they know him and yet have never even shaken his hand. If I was a Browns fan I'd feel a lot better about Josh Gordon eventually getting his head on straight after reading this letter.

ETA: This doesn't even get into what the NFL's policy on weed should be.

I feel bad for the kid. I really do. Having to live in Cleveland for 6 months a year is not a fate I'd wish on anyone. But the fact is that he put pen to paper and done fucked up.

It's absolutely ridiculous that this kid can't smoke all the pot and drink all of the alcohol he wants as long as he is not apprehended by law enforcement officials for directly breaking a law. But everyone else in the NFL lives under these batshit crazy rules, and Gordon's not a special fucking case. He said he wasn't going to test positive for marijuana, and then he broke that promise. Then he said he wasn't going to drink alcohol during the season, and he did. He should have read the fine print, if Robert Mathis doesn't get off the hook for his 'prescription fertility drug' because he 'didn't know' why should Gordon?

The only defense I could see Gordon having is that he legitimately didn't know the season wasn't over. I do realize that they don't teach the players in Cleveland about what happens after week 17.

Archived