Checkov's Guns

Seangel

Something I want to show up later is the importance of Viserys dying. He was a little shit but he was also the last(known) Targeryen heir. I think prophecy/magic wise he was more important than we know

Did you somehow miss the girl with three fire-breathing lizards and the mopey guy at the Wall?

Did you somehow miss the girl with three fire-breathing lizards and the mopey guy at the Wall?

He wasn't sacrificed so it wasn't what caused the dragons to be born. What I meant is, I think it'll end up having been a mistake that causes doom. Like cutting off a head of the dragon. Or something else. I just think his death will have more significance.

He wasn't sacrificed so it wasn't what caused the dragons to be born. What I meant is, I think it'll end up having been a mistake that causes doom. Like cutting off a head of the dragon. Or something else. I just think his death will have more significance.

IMHO it's been made pretty clear that if there is such a thing as a true Targaryen heir it is Dany not Viserys - the manner of his death (He was no true dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon) and her birthing the dragons is just a confirmation of that. There doesn't seem to be a particular reason why magic would distinguish between the last male and female descendants. But fair enough, to each their own. :)

Just to clarify things for those unsure - Anton Checkov's own words.....

Remove everything that has no relevance to the story. If you say in the first chapter that there is a rifle hanging on the wall, in the second or third chapter it absolutely must go off. If it's not going to be fired, it shouldn't be hanging there.

So, there's plenty to go at.

Various swords that appear to be missing - I can't recall all but.... to start - The one from the Winterfell Crypts that Ned notices is missing. (One of the oldest, probably belonging to Bran The Builder IIRC.)

Brightroar, Blackfyre, Dark Sister..... Don't forget (the Real) Lightbringer

There are plenty others, some more 'obscure' - Vigilance, Lamentation

I'm also wondering if Quaithe (via Dany hallucinating, or whatever) has told of another. When Dany asked what waits for her in Asshai, Quaithe simply says 'Truth'. Note, she didn't say THE truth.

Truth happens to be a sword belonging to someone in Lys, from a 'noble banking family'. There's a link to Dany here with this. Viserys II married into this family. Surely this is not a slip of the quill by GRRM. If he's stated 'Truth' rather than 'The truth', it is significant. Currently, Dany has no weapon other than her Dragons.

I wonder...... could Lightbringer be more than one sword? We've seen Ice re-forged as 2 different swords, which you can't really call new but that's what they're seen as. What if.....? You never know.

Truth - Vigilance - Lamentation ..... It's beginning to sound like a motto.

Edit - DAMN! Missed saying this! Missing or hidden, as yet unknown Targaryens (possibly in Lys?)

Another! The Iron Throne itself - The surrendered swords weren't melted down to create it. They form part of its features. It's staring everyone in the face!

But, who's the lone wolf?

I see a few things this could be relevant to (however obvious they may be)....

(1) The classic 'Divide and Conquer'.

(2) Ned had to take Lady away, making her 'a lone wolf' not just 'alone', before doing the deed.

(3) There's also Robb, who had to leave the 'pack' behind to march at the head.

(4) It could apply to Arya, as she's the furthest from her siblings.

(5) It's known that a wolf pack leaves any that are dying behind. The pack marches on.

Archived