Aussies LXIV - Invasion Day Edition

The Winged Shadow

Just got a call from a friend asking how we faired through last night's earthquake.

My mind is blown. There was an earthquake. In Australia. In my generalised area. And I was completely unaware.

Any one else in Queensland that actually felt it?

Apparently it was a 5.2

One tweet that made me laugh

It's very very wet where I am in Brisbane but otherwise not too bad. My cousin is outside Mackay and they lost part of their roof so it could be much worse.

Bad weather seems to be following me lately. From blizzard in Boston straight into qld cyclone. Hope everyone stays safe and dry.

I'm so happy to be home today. I haven't been properly dry in days. When the rain lets up. I'll have to get the interior of my car cleaned and aired out. It hasn't been properly dry in days either. Apart from the wet people, umbrellas, boots, bags and jackets. My driver-side window stopped working and got stuck in the down position. Interior and me soaked.

But my heart really goes out to the people further up North.

Having a cat 5 coming at you and the prospect of losing everything. Must be terrifying.

We haven't heard from friends in Rocky yet. And the relative in Bundaberg is fine. She has been posting regular video updates to Facebook. Apart from it being a little windy. She has blue skies. Generally very pleasant weather. Weirdly.

• 2 weeks later...

Well there is Tones, but he seems intent on destroying his government himself so not much more to be said. My questions are whether the party room will swallow their hatred of Malcolm like Labor did of Rudd, and if so if he can hold it off till the right time (ie when he can have an election reasonably soon) or if he'll get stuck taking over from an incompetent too far out from the next election (bit of deja vu there, who could have known Nelson would be quite so bad...umm anyone that was paying attention, just like with Tones).

It looks like Turnbull only wants the leadership if it comes on a silver platter with a big engraved 'Hey Malcolm, we're really sorry about November 2009, we'll never do it again" card courtesy of the right. Have fun with that game, Charlie Brown.

Now why is every halfway ambitious candidate taking pains to be a Peter Costello over a Paul Keating? Basically because the Liberal grassroots still loves Tony Abbott and can't understand why the rest of us are counting down the days. This is bad news for Turnbull. Howardism lives on beyond Howard, and Tony is his self-described lovechild (with Bronwyn Bishop in the maternal role. You're welcome). Lacking any firm connection to Australian political life, the Libs are doing the same thing Labor did under Gillard: talking to the base over everyone else. It just happens that the party base is small and way outside mainstream Australian concerns, but they're the ones spamming Liberal MPs with form emails telling them not to succumb to the Stygian lures of Malcolm Turnbull.

The way the political calendar works, the Libs have already spurned the last chance to press 'flush' until about June, so strap in for months more flailing from the insolvent Bank of Tony, a torrid NSW Liberal campaign and a second utterly incoherent Federal Budget. No, ignore the doubters guys, things will turn around for sure.

Archived