Dealing with an overly attached cat?

Fez

ToL, no doubt to apply pressure to the abscess from the inside. You have to press on the abscess from the bottom. The backblow from a hydrogen peroxide treatment of an abscess is spectacular. Best science fair volcano entry ever. I'm sill brushing my teeth. Much sympathy to pal.

My cat has decided that his fur is more delicious than his food. Anyone got advice with overgrooming? I changed to a grain free food and he has zero fleas (Comfortis). He'll be going to the vet for a steroid shot as neither of these is working for my little buddy. Hoping for a long term solution.

In all fairness, a lot of horse vets will laugh at you if that's what you call them out for. Unless it needs stitches, everything necessary to take care of a minor wound is readily available over the counter at the vet or the farm store. Antiseptics of huge variety, bandages, antibiotics, tetanus shots- you can seriously walk into any farm supply store and grab. Large animal veterinary care is completely different than small animal veterinary care. They come to your house, they do unspeakable things, usually in great potential danger, and for some reason it's cheaper than taking your dog to the vet. I can call the vet's office and tell them I want to sedate my horse and they will just have syringes of horse tranquilizers readied for me to pick up and administer by myself. Your small animal vet is like your own general practicioner MD, except less annoyed by their patients- your large animal vet is basically a crotchety old farmer who often thinks you're a moron if you had to call him at all.

It depends...

I was into riding when I was a teen. One of the horses got a nasty wound on its leg.

I had to clean it every day, which involved removing gallons of pus. Then I had to desinfect it and bandage it all by myself.

But this horse was actually pretty valuable.

A young one with a great talent for dressage riding and offspring to the then famous (and somewhat notorious) Weltmeyer-lineage. He was one of the last true Weltmeyer-sons. (The lineage was kind of a hype in the nineties.)

So I was supervised very closely, by a vet.

On the other hand a Don-Schufro-Son, who didn´t meet expectations never got to see a vet.

Even when he jumped into the fence and got his flank spiked by a pole...

I tried to pin him down last night and get a look at it, but he's a fussy little bastard, and got away. He's snubbed me today by sleeping in my brother's room, who says he seems fine. I'll try to catch him later - he has to get hungry at some point.

Feliway didn't do anything for our cats and their issues, so, not a certain solution to anything.

Drac, I would take him to the vet if you're unable to clean the cut thoroughly. Better to be safe than sorry.

ToL, no doubt to apply pressure to the abscess from the inside. You have to press on the abscess from the bottom. The backblow from a hydrogen peroxide treatment of an abscess is spectacular. Best science fair volcano entry ever. I'm sill brushing my teeth. Much sympathy to pal.

It depends...

I was into riding when I was a teen. One of the horses got a nasty wound on its leg.

I had to clean it every day, which involved removing gallons of pus.

I'm "on the fence" as to whether I should start a thread about horses, cats, and exploding abscesses.

I thought all cats were just little evil, hate-filled shits?

Hold your tongue! While Nala may not enjoy having his cut paw poked and prodded, both my cats are full of love.

Have kept an eye on Nala today and he seems much better. Will continue to monitor.

Hold your tongue! While Nala may not enjoy having his cut paw poked and prodded, both my cats are full of love.

Have kept an eye on Nala today and he seems much better. Will continue to monitor.

Sorry, I was under the impression they're all evil.

Mine would sink her teeth into my heart if she could. She's tried hahah

My cat has decided that his fur is more delicious than his food. Anyone got advice with overgrooming? I changed to a grain free food and he has zero fleas (Comfortis). He'll be going to the vet for a steroid shot as neither of these is working for my little buddy. Hoping for a long term solution.

Does he have access to grass or plants? Eating grass can improve the digestion if he feels sick. If you have wheatgrass or barley grass you can give him a few stalks to try. Mine eats 2 leaves of a spider plant every few days and it helps her poop.

Does he only lick 1 spot? If it is then it could be fungus or ezcema. The vet will take a scraping of sample of the skin and fur to lab test.

Put a little Aquaphor on it. They'll lick it off immediately but no harm done, I did it to all of them on their little wounds. It helps a lot with the wound.

:rofl:

Just how many toes do you think I have?

I was thinking one word per toe, (or not thinking as the case may be!!)

but, thanks for the fit of giggles, i've not stopped yet!

I'm "on the fence" as to whether I should start a thread about horses, cats, and exploding abscesses.

You are right, it was pretty off topic and gruesome. I apologize.

On topic:

Did you catch the cat now? Cats have a sixth sense. They know when something is up (like a visit to the vet).

I hope your cat is alright.

On the excessive licking: A friend of mine got a cat from bad circumstances. She licked herself all the time.

Don´t get me wrong: I don´t want to say, your cat is in bad circumstances. I am sure you care for it and are a great owner.

But perhaps the cat had some bad experience? Before its time with you or outside your home?

It could be some kind of a nervous tick. Maybe something happened to her, you aren´t aware of?

You are right, it was pretty off topic and gruesome. I apologize.

Never apologize for thread drift. In fact, I think I was the one who steered this particular thread off the cliff. People continue to try to correct the steering and continue on their merry way. I, however, continue to do MY duty and, like Toonces the Cat, drive the thread over the cliff.

Archived