Season 6 Casting, Sightings and Speculations

Swineherd

Edmure as you said doesn't have a huge role and he's been optimistic about returning. He wouldn't have many scenes anyway so I doubt scheduling will be a major problem.

As for the other characters, I thought the same as you but these new casting calls have made me think it all again. The Septon who was similarly described to a Meribald/Elder Brother mix will have to appear in someone's storyline and it's most likely in the Riverlands where the BWB/Freys/possibly Jaime will be.

I agree on Jamie.

It seems to me Jamie was sent to Dorne precisely because they sent Brienne to the North - so needed something for Jamie to do away from KL. So they flipped the timing around a bit and that is why we will get the Riverlands next season instead of this season. The Riverlands, season 6 will include some elements of Brienne and Jamie's book stories and some form of BWB (with or without LS) and Sparrows of course.

It is still very unclear WHY they flipped events around, but hopefully that will all become clear tonight. It surely has something to do with Brienne's desire to kill Stannis (though I doubt she will actually kill him tonight) as well as her vow to protect Sansa.

It is also likely because they wanted to compress the Riverlands into one season, which would included the whole downfall of the Freys, infighting, Frey hanging, Nymeria attacks and all.

What is interesting to me is that it may end up that the show will have a similar geographical divide to the books. This season was North-heavy, but it's looking more and more so that we'll lose all of the major POVs in the North soon. So the next season will be South-heavy.

Probably so that we won't end up with all three final seasons shot in the depressing bleakness of winter... still. Interesting.

Well, IMO Euron is as mysterious as Melisandre and also somewhat controversial character, so I highly doubt that he will have a limited lifespan.

Oh his lifespan will cover his story, I just don't think his story lasts that long.

Euron is basically a meaphor for a tsunami IMO: surging in from the ocean, causing incredible amounts of destruction, but ultimately beat back to the sea. I think the show will be done with him mid way through season 7 at the very latest, so maximum 1.5 seasons.

Tarly might be a casualty at the end of season 6, having served his purpose more or less by then.

I am seriously worried about the casting for season 6.

It looks like that in season 6 we will see mainly the content of Dance with Dragons that we did not see this year.

Isn't there enough meat in Winds of Winter to show in season 6?

Because season 7 should show the content of A Dream of Spring, not Winds of Winter.

I don't understand what's the meaning of showing Euron, Randyl Tarly and etc, they seem more like fillers and skippable parts of the story at this point.

The casting says both Euron and Randyl are going to be main characters, that means being shown for the whole season.

I don't know, but I fear that White Walkers won't come next season too. I was hoping that the battle of ice was happening a bit earlier.

It looks like that in season 6 we will see mainly the content of Dance with Dragons that we did not see this year.

Because season 7 should show the content of A Dream of Spring, not Winds of Winter.

I don't understand what's the meaning of showing Euron, Randyl Tarly and etc, they seem more like fillers and skippable parts of the story at this point.

The casting says both Euron and Randyl are going to be main characters, that means being shown for the whole season.

I don't know, but I fear that White Walkers won't come next season too. I was hoping that the battle of ice was happening a bit earlier.

Me too, although Randy looks like he will be getting new material (Dickon and Mumsy too).

I was really looking forward to being able to openly discuss with my unsullied other half.

This makes no sense.

How is it not covering Winds of Winter to show Euron and Tarly? Those are two characters that DO play big roles in the Winds of Winter. Just because in the books their stories have already been introduced does NOT mean that is the entirety of those stories....both of them were just getting started.

The casting call list that leaked is full of mysterious characters that we don't have the slightest clue what they will do. These will have something to do with Winds of Winter action.

The only thing that is really spillover from what I can tell, is the Riverlands. And that is because of the decision to send Sansa and Brienne North. Presumably this was so that Stannis's arc could be condensed and not extend the siege action into next season, meaning Brienne needed to confront him or miss any chance.

This decision even makes sense to me if we are going to get warging Starks next season. Arya went blind and Jon was stabbed...both events set up the possibility of warging next season, at the same time that Bran and probably Rickon are brought back into the story. I think that is a good move.

Delaying Balon's death and the Iron Islands succession drama is also spillover but that clearly has to do with not having to cast Euron before he was really needed. It will be brief, then onward to IB assault on the Reach, with Sam's arrival there timed to correspond. That is Winds of Winter content - it was just getting started and we don't have a clue how it plays out.

Knowing D&D, I personally just see any Riverlands content of S6 being very limited, i.e: extending to not much more than using Septon Meribald as a means to rehabilitating a surviving Hound for a slapdown with Robert Strong. Probably giving his epic war speech somewhere in the process.

Then again ..... If Blackfish & Thoros/BWB (and wherever he shows up: Gendry!) aren't back for season 6, the plot holes of those respective characters become laughable really.

Thank God Tyrion mentioned Thoros, but Brynden should at least have received a namecheck this year, i.e: that Bolton was still concerned he was at large.

As it stands, the man most in need of vengeance against them in any potential nothern conspiracy remains forgotten in the mix.

And since Stoneheart is confirmed 100% cut, Clive Russell's Blackfish can be the only man to lead the BWB going forward, post Beric, and get those Freys a' swingin'.

Then again, with no LSH, would Beric even be dead, leaving a leadership vacuum?

Damn that butterfly effect! :dunno:

I actually see a lot of room for Riverlands to be a big deal season 6.

Keep in mind we don't know the story in WoW. But chances are, part of it will involve a lot of dead Freys. That is not just about LS, but about the general mood of the Riverlands people, their own infighting for control of the Twins and Riverrun etc.

Add to that the possibility of warging Starks, led by Bran's return to the story, but including Arya (no coincidence she went blind just now) and Ghost of Jon. In other words we might get Nymeria's pack.

Finally there is likely an ideological conflict between R'hllor followers (BWB) and Sparrows who otherwise serve similar goals theoretically and are both based in the Riverlands. Should be interesting.

Look at it this way.

Winds of Winter isn't out yet.

D&D knows the basis of where people's stories end up, but may not know every exact event between (possibly due to not having access to what Martin has written so far), so it's highly likely that they will continue choosing their own path.

I wouldn't be surprised if Season 6/7 have very little of WoW and DoS in them. Of course, they'll continue with where people are going, but if season 5 is anything to go on, it will be a much simpler story than what the books will entail.

No need for anymore seasons that way.

I actually see a lot of room for Riverlands to be a big deal season 6.

Keep in mind we don't know the story in WoW. But chances are, part of it will involve a lot of dead Freys. That is not just about LS, but about the general mood of the Riverlands people, their own infighting for control of the Twins and Riverrun etc.

Add to that the possibility of warging Starks, led by Bran's return to the story, but including Arya (no coincidence she went blind just now) and Ghost of Jon. In other words we might get Nymeria's pack.

Finally there is likely an ideological conflict between R'hllor followers (BWB) and Sparrows who otherwise serve similar goals theoretically and are both based in the Riverlands. Should be interesting.

Hard to say. The Riverlands were important in AFFC, and I'm sure they'll be important in TWOW. But maybe the producers of the Show have just decided to cut out this element of the story.

Hard to say. The Riverlands were important in AFFC, and I'm sure they'll be important in TWOW. But maybe the producers of the Show have just decided to cut out this element of the story.

Clearly it is not cut entirely since we seem to have a Meribald/Elder brother castng call. It is therefore worth speculating where and what the Riverlands story will pick up.

I'm still rooting for James Purefoy or Jack Houston to be cast in Season 6. James Purefoy took Season 2 of Rome, a dying show, and carried it on his back until the end. Jack Houston carried Boardwalk Empire for 4 seasons. At this point, with so many of the complex characters and best performances killed off the show then GOT needs actors who can carry a show badly. Aside from Tyrion as Peter Dinklage, the roster is looking a little thin.

I'm still rooting for James Purefoy or Jack Houston to be cast in Season 6. James Purefoy took Season 2 of Rome, a dying show, and carried it on his back until the end. Jack Houston carried Boardwalk Empire for 4 seasons. At this point, with so many of the complex characters and best performances killed off the show then GOT needs actors who can carry a show badly. Aside from Tyrion as Peter Dinklage, the roster is looking a little thin.

I had never read the books season 1. There was one, and only one reason I got hooked, pretty much instantly, by the pilot: Maisie Williams.

Lena is also perfectly able to hold my interest for quite a while yet.

Archived