Season 6 Casting, Sightings and Speculations

Swineherd

Thing is, D+D aren't infallible. Just because they think something will make for better television doesn't mean it will. The story of the books is far deeper than the show. I think a more faithful adaptation would have been even more successful. I also don't think that this version of the show will remain highly thought of by critics once the show is done.

The story of the books is far deeper than the show, a very common problem when adapting from book to screen. Part of the depth is the host of characters that cost money. Part of the depth is the inner monologue that adds primary source motivation and a lot of backstory that cost screen time to adapt. Part of the depth is the ability for the reader's imagination to expand on the descriptions in the text to create huge cities that costs both time and money. Trimming the fat trims these things more than anything else which will leave you with a hollow story with insufficient backstory for many characters.

GRRM is not infallible as well. The last two books especially were wastelands of a lack of action filled with story, plot, and more story. Many readers dislike the last two books because of this. Astute readers like yourself probably love the books for setting up a landscape of political turmoil that is on the brink of exploding in the next two books. I like them too, but that doesn't make them easy to adapt especially in a series that has made battles and death (even GRRM written ones) very regular.

I am sure GRRM was not writing so as to make it easier on screenplay writers. He was writing for his story, to gain or keep readers, or maybe just for pleasure.

D&D are doing the same thing. They are adapting for their own goals. Unfortunately, TV is very competitive and costs are skyrocketing while revenue is largely stagnant. That means tough decisions must be made, and the integrity of George's story is not on their priority list, and I cannot blame them.

The story of the books is far deeper than the show, a very common problem when adapting from book to screen. Part of the depth is the host of characters that cost money. Part of the depth is the inner monologue that adds primary source motivation and a lot of backstory that cost screen time to adapt. Part of the depth is the ability for the reader's imagination to expand on the descriptions in the text to create huge cities that costs both time and money. Trimming the fat trims these things more than anything else which will leave you with a hollow story with insufficient backstory for many characters.

GRRM is not infallible as well. The last two books especially were wastelands of a lack of action filled with story, plot, and more story. Many readers dislike the last two books because of this. Astute readers like yourself probably love the books for setting up a landscape of political turmoil that is on the brink of exploding in the next two books. I like them too, but that doesn't make them easy to adapt especially in a series that has made battles and death (even GRRM written ones) very regular.

I am sure GRRM was not writing so as to make it easier on screenplay writers. He was writing for his story, to gain or keep readers, or maybe just for pleasure.

D&D are doing the same thing. They are adapting for their own goals. Unfortunately, TV is very competitive and costs are skyrocketing while revenue is largely stagnant. That means tough decisions must be made, and the integrity of George's story is not on their priority list, and I cannot blame them.

It does not cost any more time or money to write good characterisation. Every major scene can and should further character depth and the show has plenty of time to do this. It's ridiculous to pretend that the show can not be any deeper.

As for the slow pace of Feast and Dance that shouldn't be a problem combining the two books. The problem is D+D cut pretty much everything interesting in those two books and what they kept has no emotional punch.

Anyway, I'm working on a fan outline for a hypothetical season 5. Hopefully I'll complete it and I can get a better picture of what is and isn't possible.

It does not cost any more time or money to write good characterisation. Every major scene can and should further character depth and the show has plenty of time to do this. It's ridiculous to pretend that the show can not be any deeper.

As for the slow pace of Feast and Dance that shouldn't be a problem combining the two books. The problem is D+D cut pretty much everything interesting in those two books and what they kept has no emotional punch.

Anyway, I'm working on a fan outline for a hypothetical season 5. Hopefully I'll complete it and I can get a better picture of what is and isn't possible.

I would be interested in reading that.

It's pretty clear they are doing the Greyjoy Storyline, but without Victarion (who isn't really essential). After Balon dies it would be only Euron and Yara, so they will probably add Aeron, who doesn't need much introduction or screentime, his motivations are pretty clear, he serves the Drowned God.

If they are adding the Tarlys then the Citadel will be added as well, so expect some maesters. Why? Because Sam needs a reason to go south, he won't just go to visit his family, Jon will send him to Oldtown probably at the end of season 5 and we will see his journey and arrival in season 6. Btw: They already mentioned the Citadel in season 5, they wouldn't mention it if they won't use it in some way.

The supposed flashback scene with the children must have something to do with R+L=J. In regards to the other casting, we will also probably get a new Khal and it seems Septon Meribald or the Elder Brother (even though they don't really have a purpose anymore). For those asking for Howland Reed, he will probaly be cast for season 7 to confirm R+L=J.

If they are adding the Tarlys then the Citadel will be added as well, so expect some maesters. Why? Because Sam needs a reason to go south, he won't just go to visit his family, Jon will send him to Oldtown probably at the end of season 5 and we will see his journey and arrival in season 6. Btw: They already mentioned the Citadel in season 5, they wouldn't mention it if they won't use it in some way.

Now that Jon knows about the ability of valyrian steel to kill others he may be sent to bring Hearsbane to the wall. (I doubt this though, just a possibility)

It's pretty clear they are doing the Greyjoy Storyline, but without Victarion (who isn't really essential). After Balon dies it would be only Euron and Yara, so they will probably add Aeron, who doesn't need much introduction or screentime, his motivations are pretty clear, he serves the Drowned God.

The supposed flashback scene with the children must have something to do with R+L=J. In regards to the other casting, we will also probably get a new Khal and it seems Septon Meribald or the Elder Brother (even though they don't really have a purpose anymore). For those asking for Howland Reed, he will probaly be cast for season 7 to confirm R+L=J.

They are filming part of season 6 in Girona and Peñíscola. I guess that'll be Oldtown.

I don't know if they'll bother with Aeron either. If they do though, they've already got a good choice. Since that drowned priest wasn't identified, they still have the option of bringing him back as the Damphair.

Now that Jon knows about the ability of valyrian steel to kill others he may be sent to bring Hearsbane to the wall. (I doubt this though, just a possibility)

I think this is likely actually, but does not mean no Citadel.

To do it faithfully, we would need more characters in the Vale (heck, if we are leaving Sansa in the Vale we need a host of characters for Winterfell), we need more characters in Dorne, we would need more Greyjoy characters than just Euron, we would need a host of Riverland characters (some Freys, Brackens, and Blackwoods) to have Jamie travel those parts unless we wanted to make it extremely hollow like Dorne. With all those new characters you also need time to provide some backstory, or they feel hollow like the Sand Snakes.

I think people sometimes forget this.

With more people it would be confusing for not book-readers to follow. I really didn't like the last two books because there were too many storylines and too many new people.

I really hope Victarion makes an appearance. He's the best Greyjoy out of them all.

I don't think we'll be seeing Victarion in the show and I'm not saying that just because I'm not a big fan of the guy.

When they go back to the Iron Islands for the Kingsmoot, I don't think that "Yara" will run away but rather take up the role of Victarion as a battle commander. I highly doubt that the show will try to extend itself by following both Euron's intention on marrying Dany and his attack on the reach. And if that's the case then you really wouldn't need "Yara" either, so she could be free to fulfill some other role.

I really hope Victarion makes an appearance. He's the best Greyjoy out of them all.

I don't get why people like him frankly. He's an idiot. Good at smashing people and nothing else and being inside his head is incredibly boring.

I think he is one of those POVs put in so that we can view more important characters from their perspective rather than from inside the heads of characters who need to be somewhat mysterious to us.

I don't get why people like him frankly. He's an idiot. Good at smashing people and nothing else and being inside his head is incredibly boring.

I think he is one of those POVs put in so that we can view more important characters from their perspective rather than from inside the heads of characters who need to be somewhat mysterious to us.

In a world where everyone is trying to play the game of thrones and beat every one else, we need a guy that can just walk in, chop the heads off his enemies, and leave. It's actually rather refreshing.

Archived