[TWoW Spoilers] Alayne I

Annara Snow

I know Sansa is just playing LF's game but I got confused about whether she really, genuinely wants Harry or she simply wants to succeed in stringing him along. She knows she can't remarry until Tyrion dies and she also knows she can't maintain the Alayn alias forever. She doesn't seem put off by the Harry having bastards, meaning that she, perhaps, knows the whole charade won't last. But then again, she seemed really eager for his attention.

There are loopholes with Tyrion that LF really isn't going to give a damn about, so long as Tyrion isn't around. Plus LF knows that Tyrion was already married to Tysha, to where if Tyrion just somehow turns back up, LF will use that card against him and say the marriage was void in the first place. For all we know, he may know where Tysha is. I think LF knows Tyrion is somewhere in Essos, but the chances of him turning up again are pretty slim.

And let's not forget Sansa still has her maidenhead, which I think is the only thing that has prevented LF from going after Sansa himself.

Am I completely alone in thinking this doesn't seem like it was written by George at all? Sooo many characters and random conversations. Sansa acting like she actually wants Harry, Myranda being hurt over Harry, a repetition of Sansa thinking of Robins lovely hair, Mya not knowing how to deal with Robin. Everything and everybody just seemed off to me.

I too thought that I had been deceived into reading fan-fiction at first. This chapter seemed to jump very quickly between different conversations and times of day. There were a lot less transitional paragraphs that link the seemingly-disparate conversations and events Sansa/Alayne takes part in.

But, where is the controversy, I ask you? Or is the lack of controversy supposed to be controversial? :)

(Might be that the "controversial" statement wins the award the most drawn out of proportions statement.)

That’s our fault, not anyone else. This fandom has taken taking innocuous statements out of proportion to the level of high art. I think the original comment was, like, “some readers may find it out out character and controversial”. And people were IMMEDIATELY all “Ah, she’s going to have sex with Littlefinger” or “AH, she’s going to kill Sweetrobin”.

On the other hand, I’m hardly innocent of this myself. There’s one innocuous statement someone made about one of the chapters GRRMs read at a con that I’m slightly obsessed with...

Elio & Linda were very clear that the chapter is really not that "shocking" and that it has nothing to do with what Sansa's storyline seems to involve in season 5.

Well, I was right that it was a Sansa chapter, but I was wrong that it was the shocking chapter he has referred to.

Am I completely alone in thinking this doesn't seem like it was written by George at all? Sooo many characters and random conversations. Sansa acting like she actually wants Harry, Myranda being hurt over Harry, a repetition of Sansa thinking of Robins lovely hair, Mya not knowing how to deal with Robin. Everything and everybody just seemed off to me.

People always seem to say that about new material, especially after a long wait. I remember people saying the same thing about the fifth Harry Potter book. I think we just need to get use to it.

On another note:

Ser Harrold Hardyng looked every inch a lord-in-waiting; clean-limbed and handsome, straight as a lance, hard with muscle. Men old enough to have known Jon Arryn in his youth said Ser Harrold had his look, she knew. He had a mop of sandy blond hair, pale blue eyes, an aquiline nose.

We get something akin to a physical description for Jon Arryn here, which is interesting, since the Arryns are one of the great houses who haven't ever been assigned a "house look"; granted, Sansa just says "Jon Arryn's look", not "the Arryn look".

I suppose the people who think Lord Robert is Littlefinger's son will also use this as ammunition.

Harry's bastard comments didn't bother me, but him calling the mother of his child a fat cow did. I like sassy Sansa, and I like Sweetrobin a lot in this chapter too, he seems a lot more grown up though still a little immature. I laughed a little when he said he wanted Sansa for his mistress.

ETA: I also really like Sansa's relationship with Luthor Brune, even though we only got a glimpse.

Yeah it feels ominous, like it's all about to go to shit. Feels like Harry is being built up like a romantic lead, a mcconaughey part, making him a good candidate for a hideous death.

Exactly. It reminded me a bit of Sansa's chapter before her wedding to Tyrion. She's too content.

In terms of Sansa her arc has centred around love and romance and wanting to be loved for herself so this chapter continues on this theme.

Also we don't know where it will be placed in TWOW. It might come as some well needed light hearted ness depending on what happens in the preceding chapter.

That's true. Presumably it has to take place quite early in the book (after the battles, of course), considering that it appears to take place before the end of ADwD. It would be too jarring to place the chapter after Cersei's trial.

That’s our fault, not anyone else. This fandom has taken taking innocuous statements out of proportion to the level of high art. I think the original comment was, like, “some readers may find it out out character and controversial”. And people were IMMEDIATELY all “Ah, she’s going to have sex with Littlefinger” or “AH, she’s going to kill Sweetrobin”.

On the other hand, I’m hardly innocent of this myself. There’s one innocuous statement someone made about one of the chapters GRRMs read at a con that I’m slightly obsessed with...

It could be this chapter, many of the characters were a little off. But I just shrugged it off for the Vale characters as: I don't know them well enough.

IMO, the main thing this chapter showed is how much of a GAME PLAYER Sansa is becoming.

Good stuff, enjoyed the way she quickly managed to wrap Harry round her finger.

Next Alayne chapter:

"There was just one knight left, a quiet giant of a man, who wore no sigil.

'Who is that?' Asked Alayne

The knight turned sideways to Alayne and removed his helmet. All she could see were the burns down his face..."

:)

This was the controversial chapter? It's pretty bland as far as controversy goes, although her shift from scared girl who never says anything to super clever self assured verbal jouster seems a little abrupt.

Whether it`s this one or another one, the controversy certainly is about Sansa seducing Harry. But surely that was expected? Didn`t Littlefinger tell her to make Harry like her as far back as AFFC?

Harry's bastard comments didn't bother me, but him calling the mother of his child a fat cow did. I like sassy Sansa, and I like Sweetrobin a lot in this chapter too, he seems a lot more grown up though still a little immature. I laughed a little when he said he wanted Sansa for his mistress.

SERIOUSLY. Actually thinking something like that is bad enough. Actually just ditching someone like that in the context of this crapsack where this poor woman is probably now considered to be soiled goods is bad enough. (Maybe he gave her a pension? Surely he gave her something.... ) But actually saying “yeah, I used her and then threw her away when she was no longer completely perfect” to someone who’s more or less a stranger at a formal occasion takes a special kind of dickishness.

Exactly. It reminded me a bit of Sansa's chapter before her wedding to Tyrion. She's too content.

Tournaments and weddings are where things get interesting, no? :)

That's true. Presumably it has to take place quite early in the book (after the battles, of course), considering that it appears to take place before the end of ADwD. It would be too jarring to place the chapter after Cersei's trial.

Indeed. The time scale is confusing though, as it seems quite a bit of time has passed since AFFC since the knights et al have been staying for over a month, which means Sansa must have been at the gates for quite a while longer, especially since they had time to think up the tourney, organise, send out invitations, get replies and get people to arrive to do the fighting, not to mention all the ppresents and stuff LF must have ordered. Seems like months to me.

Also, the EFFING TAPESTRIES :lol: they were a bribe for Nestor Royce. Nice one LF, cementing his loyalties.

Harry was an arse. He gave me old Theon vibes. Ewwh. Agreed on Sweetrobin, that was an awesome commentary, as was Sansa's response.

Also this line with nice innuendo:

“I hope you joust better than you talk.”

Yes Harry, how is your "jousting". Both kinds, perhaps. :lol:

Interestingly, LF's bunch in the basement thinks Harry is too shite a fighter to join the Winged Knights. Come on Lyn!! Turn Harry into a turnip!

Things are looking up for Sansa, it seems. We know what that means. There is going to be a game-changing disaster soon. It's fairly transparent that Sansa isn't just going to marry Harry then be a good little girl providing heirs so that grandpa Littlefinger can take over the world. I'm certain Corbray and the Mad Mouse are up to something. Hopefully that something includes LF dead.

And again, we see people being made stupid for the sake of LF looking smart. Royce would sell his entire grain stores for cash just before winter? Really? How much of a bunch of simpletons do the lords of the Vale have to be so that LF's plots can succeed?

Sansa also grew a sharp tongue rather suddendly. Albeit I suppose she just couldn't actually use it in her previous stories, not in the Eyrie and not around the Lannisters. So it's not a big deal.

Also surprised to see her mention Tyrion twice, without much spite even.

Tournaments and weddings are where things get interesting, no? :)

Indeed. The time scale is confusing though, as it seems quite a bit of time has passed since AFFC since the knights et al have been staying for over a month, which means Sansa must have been at the gates for quite a while longer, especially since they had time to think up the tourney, organise, send out invitations, get replies and get people to arrive to do the fighting, not to mention all the ppresents and stuff LF must have ordered. Seems like months to me.

Also, the EFFING TAPESTRIES :lol: they were a bribe for Nestor Royce. Nice one LF, cementing his loyalties.

Harry was an arse. He gave me old Theon vibes. Ewwh. Agreed on Sweetrobin, that was an awesome commentary, as was Sansa's response.

Agree ^ and we all know how being a douche turned out for Theon. I think something bad is going to happen to Harry the Heir that is going to humble him. Like getting hurt in the upcoming tourney.

Archived