[TWoW Spoilers] Alayne I

Annara Snow

I think we only know the Mad Mouse's statement is foreboding because we know what he's said in the past.

To Sansa/Alayne these are simply joking tourney thoughts from a hedge knight. She could still have blind spots in perception to those lower in status than her, whether it's her actual status (Alayne) or her perceived status. (Sansa).

She's been hiding out for a long while, and has even deceived somebody who had seen her in the past (Bronze Yohn) -- indeed, in this chapter's probable original context she's been in hiding for over five years -- she probably isn't overly worried about being discovered at this point.

It just dawned on me that the Waynwoods are the Starks "cousins in the Vale" I think the horseface bit could be a nice nod to the reader connecting the two-- Arya "Horseface" has the typical Stark look, and perhaps the Waynwoods have a hint of it too ;)

One of Jocelyn Stark and Benedict Royce's daughters married a Waynwood, though we haven't been told if they're ancestors of the main line. I suppose she could have been Lady Anya's mother.

Harry the Heir might appear to be a dick initially, but maybe that's what GRRM wants us to think. Take note of this line:

For a moment he looked shocked. But as the song was ending, he burst into a laugh. “No one told me you were clever.”

That suggests to me that there's more to Harry than meets the eye. Maybe he was rude to Sansa because he thought she was a gold-digging bimbo, but he actually seems impressed that she's intelligent. That shows a bit of depth to his character.

Is anyone surprised that Harry the Heir turned out to be a dick? Anyone?

As I said in another thread, this chapter was a letdown. Sansa's new behaviour was fun, but I can't believe I waited 10 years for this.

Preach. I was so relieved (and pleasantly surprised) when I realized we would get the feast too (progress!) but to get a peek of the tourney would be asking too much, even if back in aGoT GRRM would've covered the whole thing in a single chapter

More like wits. This is the outstanding element of the chapter, self-assured and outspoken Sansa. Sexuality is not such a big deal here IMO, really.

Oh I agree she still seems very much like Sansa to me just after being around Myrandas and LFs influence for a while

I think she'll give it to that poor stammering boy, ser Wallace Waynwood.

Agree, although it will be interested if she makes a political choice in terms of forming allies. Also interesting to see her second guessing peoples' motives and being careful of what she says but not through fear of being beaten but through working out the intricacies of society.

Second ever chapter with no mention of Sandor.

Hurrah no thought towards SR's death from her but mentioned by SR may help to work out and foil LF's plan.

I think the Mad Mouse knows, but is waiting to see if there is a more lucrative option than turning her over to Cersei. I think his story line will be very interesting, but if LF even had a sniff that he had it figured out, he'd be toast. He may have been LF's man from the get-go.

Ser Roland seems like a good candidate for her favor, and there might be something developing there...he's obviously smitten.

Using wits and beauty and still being genuinely nice to people although it will be interesting to see what happens with Myranda: she's not had much luck husband wise.

Also it is still not clear anyone knows she is Sansa other than Ser Shadrick and LF. Lady Waynwood perhaps.

She's been hiding out for a long while, and has even deceived somebody who had seen her in the past (Bronze Yohn) -- indeed, in this chapter's probable original context she's been in hiding for over five years -- she probably isn't overly worried about being discovered at this point.

She's still alert on the need to hide:

He blushed, which only made his pimples look angrier. my lady. “No, I am from Gulltown.”

And I am not, though Alayne was born there. She would need to be careful around this one. “I remember Gulltown fondly,” she told him, with a smile as vague as it was pleasant.

“You say more than fair, my lord. I say less than we would wish. Wait. If need be, buy the food yourself and keep it stored. Winter is coming. Prices must go higher.”

” Perhaps,” said Belmore, doubtfully.

“Bronze Yohn will not wait, ” Grafton complained. ” He need not ship through Gulltown, he has his own ports. Whilst we are hoarding our harvest, Royce and the other Lords Declarant will turn theirs into silver, you may be sure of that.”

” Let us hope so,” said Petyr. “When their granaries are empty, they will need every scrap of that silver to buy sustenance from us. And now if you will excuse me, my lord, it would seem my daughter has need of me.”

1) Okay, I usually think GRRM does a good job of making Littlefinger smart without making others look stupid, but c'mon -- the Vale is built aground the sale of agricultural goods; surely they understand the basic laws of supply and demand.

2) I have to assume Littlefinger is joking at the end there, because he can't seriously expect the Royces are going to sell off not just their surplus but the entirety of their winter grain reserve so that they'll need to buy grain themselves.

She's still alert on the need to hide:

Sure, but that's because she knows this is guy is from the place she's supposedly from.

Also she is thinking about her family again: nice to see now she feels safe she can reflect on them more. Also noting Ser Wallace is a boy but is the same age as Robb highlights how much responsibility at a young age the Stark children had and sadly how they have been robbed of their childhoods.

Would this have been Sansa's first chapter after the five-year gap?

I can see the Mad Mouse going the way of Hugh of the Vale if he has indeed rumbled Sansa.

I thought the opposite. Things are about to blow up in the Vale.

Quite an enjoyable read. I never liked any of Sansa's chapters before but now that she's more mature and trying to act like Littlefinger it makes her character much more enjoyable. I little abrupt of a personally challenge though.

I don't think they've ever addressed Dany's war, they mention she has dragons which Cersei keeps passing up as Lizards. I thought he'd make much more attempts at tying her story to Westeros like how the show is doing.

The ADwD Epilogue makes it clear that news of Dany's war in Meereen has reached King's Landing. No member of the small council is surprised when Kevan begins speaking about her, and Mace Tyrell even begins talking about Meereen.

The biggest surprise is definitely that no one is talking about Cersei's arrest, but presumably this chapter takes place before the end of ADwD.

This chapter seemed rather peppy and upbeat, which in ASOIAF land means something is going to go horribly wrong soon.

Harry dies in the tourney and then SR dies from shakes afterwards?

Archived