[TWoW Spoilers] Alayne I

Annara Snow

First chapter we meet her, about Jon 'He's just jealous because he's a bastard'. And Jon was clearly hurt by Sansa singling him out in the family constantly. He can't just be her brother, its always with that bastard caveat.

And in Jon's chapter, it is clear that he is jealous because he is a bastard. Sansa said nothing that basically isn't true. And Sansa called him half-brother, the same way Jon called his siblings talking to Tyrion, and we know that each of them at least once had that bastard recognition moment. Jon never seem to be particularly hurt by how Sansa treated him.

Finally!

A nice chapter, but only an appetizer for more. Good to see Sansa a little bit happy too.

But, where is the controversy, I ask you? Or is the lack of controversy supposed to be controversial? :)

(Might be that the "controversial" statement wins the award the most drawn out of proportions statement.)

Harry is so falling for her, enjoyed how she played him.

And, yes, I think that perhaps Myranda is not going to take it too well. We'll see (soon, I hope!)

As for the mad mouse, if he knows he just made a threat that this Sansa should have noticed, but maybe it's only the irony that a "bag of gold" just bumped into him.

As for the mad mouse, if he knows he just made a threat that this Sansa should have noticed, but maybe it's only the irony that a "bag of gold" just bumped into him.

That's only something you would notice if you know (as the audience does) that he's been hunting for Sansa for a reward.

I don't get what the controversy was. Sansa flirting and showing signs of a brain? Fetch the smelling salts!

I'm liking Sansa as Show Margaery 2.0, as mentioned upthread. Get it, girl.

No mention of the Hound. Womp womp.

So much for Sansa recoiling in horror at the implications of Littlefinger's plan, although she still thinks about Sweetrobin living long enough to wed, so perhaps she doesn't quite understand the poisoning yet.

LOL at Sansa's contempt for Sweetrobin. "You are such a little fool."

Alayne loved it here. She felt alive again, for the first since her father… since Lord Eddard Stark had died.

More of the same from previous chapters.

And in Jon's chapter, it is clear that he is jealous because he is a bastard. Sansa said nothing that basically isn't true. And Sansa called him half-brother, the same way Jon called his siblings talking to Tyrion, and we know that each of them at least once had that bastard recognition moment. Jon never seem to be particularly hurt by how Sansa treated him.

Not about Joffrey though. This is what people can't get, just because you don't like your position in life and are jealous of your siblings doesn't mean you are constantly resentful of everyone you meet. When he calls Joffrey a shit, its because he's a shit and not because he's not a bastard. Not to mention GRRM rams home Sansa's comments by having her whisper 'half-brother' to Arya unnecessarily at the end of the paragraph. She has an issue with him, this is reinforced in later chapters when she speculates about his 'common' mother and how it would have been easier if Arya had been a bastard too. You can treat a bastard like crap with little reproach as we see here with Harry. Anya is mortified because its not polite to say it to their faces. Jon's problem with being called 'Half Brother' all the time was that it basically meant 'bastard' politely, and she never once said 'brother' like Robb, Arya or Bran did. They call him half brother too just not all the time.

Aaaand Harry is a dick. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until that cow comment. Fucking asshole.

This was the controversial chapter? It's pretty bland as far as controversy goes, although her shift from scared girl who never says anything to super clever self assured verbal jouster seems a little abrupt.

Agreed. The shade she threw at Lyn Corbray seemed particularly out of place

I really loved the chapter. I felt like a starved wolf in deepest winter that stumbles over a deer, FINALLY something new to read :)

It is nice to see how Sansa develops. I also think Shadrich has his own motives. I don't think Corbray is really bitter about Littlefinger.

Great day! Only sad part: The book is probably still nowhere to be released soon.

I see nothing horrible about Harry. Yes, he is rude, but he is highborn lord from old family, grandlord hopeful - and he was proposed to marry a bastard, not only a bastard, but Littlefingers bastard, who is almost a commoner himself. Of course he is annoyed and resentful. Yes, he is rude - but it's not for Sansa to judge: she was not too lovely to her bastard brother. And she is making snide remarks about Harry's bastard kids. Her horse is too high, she better to get off it.

I didn't get the impression that she was making snide remarks.

But I did love the chapter, Sansa finally begins showing some steel

Quite an enjoyable read. I never liked any of Sansa's chapters before but now that she's more mature and trying to act like Littlefinger it makes her character much more enjoyable. I little abrupt of a personally challenge though.

I just wish there'd been some reaction to news of events outside the Vale... Is no one talking about Aegon's invasion, Cersei's arrest, or Dany's war in Slaver's Bay?

I don't think they've ever addressed Dany's war, they mention she has dragons which Cersei keeps passing up as Lizards. I thought he'd make much more attempts at tying her story to Westeros like how the show is doing.

Being around Myranda Royce on the reg will probably bring out anyone's sexuality :D

More like wits. This is the outstanding element of the chapter, self-assured and outspoken Sansa. Sexuality is not such a big deal here IMO, really.

That's only something you would notice if you know (as the audience does) that he's been hunting for Sansa for a reward.

Ah yes, that's true. But I don't know, do you just say this thing to your intended victim for the lolz? I wouldn't, if I were in Shadrich's place.

Is anyone surprised that Harry the Heir turned out to be a dick? Anyone?

As I said in another thread, this chapter was a letdown. Sansa's new behaviour was fun, but I can't believe I waited 10 years for this.

Fantastic to get a Sansa chapter. It looks like her storyline on the show is going to be vastly different. Really interesting to compare with the Tourney of the King's Hand. She is much more aware of the politics behind things. Also good to see she hasn't worked out LF is planning to off SR.

Ser Shadrick has worked out who she is so that will be interesting. Good to see her happy again.....it will probably not last!

Lord Robert is unusually perceptive in seeing that his heir cousin is just waiting for him to die, though perhaps his mother drilled that into him.

Okay, so Lady Waynwood's oldest son is old enough to have sons older than Waynwood's youngest son. I guess that must be where those granddaughters she was mentioned as having come from.

I think we only know the Mad Mouse's statement is foreboding because we know what he's said in the past.

To Sansa/Alayne these are simply joking tourney thoughts from a hedge knight. She could still have blind spots in perception to those lower in status than her, whether it's her actual status (Alayne) or her perceived status. (Sansa).

How are we interpreting Myranda's horseface bit? Seems to me that Myranda and Sansa are like soulmates! She's mimicking Myranda's sass and we are meant to compare Myranda's dialogue to Sansa.

It just dawned on me that the Waynwoods are the Starks "cousins in the Vale" I think the horseface bit could be a nice nod to the reader connecting the two-- Arya "Horseface" has the typical Stark look, and perhaps the Waynwoods have a hint of it too ;)

Archived