First Colbert and now Jon: 16 years of awesomeness will soon end

A True Kaniggit

John Oliver Scolds America will eventually become as stale as Stewart did (Oliver is different than Ferguson, who clearly loves America).

The best was the segment Oliver did warning us about how much policy was being made in state legislatures. As if this is were a revelation and not the intent of the founders. The notion of federalism is a foreign concept to him.

I can't wait for him to scold us about evolution and how ignorant we all are. He will drop so much knowledge on us with all the googling he did this week.

By scold do you mean forcing you to look at your own ignorance?

When did I indicate I was still watching it? Do you have a brain?

So you're glad that it's ending despite the fact that you no longer watch it . Got it. Don't even know how to respond to that, so here's a picture of my favorite Jimmy Osmond album.

http://s1336.photobucket.com/user/Lumpy67/media/JimmyOsmond_zpse3234ebf.jpg.html

/Banana in Yo Lunchbox, yo

I get that it's more of a red state blue state thing, but you'd think a self described libertarian would be more receptive of somebody "scolding" America about the war on drugs, prison industrial complex, or NSA. Obviously he won't agree with Oliver on everything, but I don't either.

So you're glad that it's ending despite the fact that you no longer watch it . Got it. Don't even know how to respond to that, so here's a picture of my favorite Jimmy Osmond album.

http://s1336.photobucket.com/user/Lumpy67/media/JimmyOsmond_zpse3234ebf.jpg.html

/Banana in Yo Lunchbox, yo

''Glad it's over'' is in response to it being announced it's over, which is basically what this thread is, no?

You seem very determined to prove something. Not sure what that is.

I see it this way .... we have four left of center /comedic political talk show hosts....Bill Maher, John Oliver, Steven Colbert, and Jon Stewart.... all of them very different...So whomever carries on in the vacated seats, I'm sure will make it their own... and I'll make my determinations then.... The worst thing any comic can do is pattern a brand after someone else...

I see it this way .... we have four left of center /comedic political talk show hosts....Bill Maher, John Oliver, Steven Colbert, and Jon Stewart.... all of them very different...So whomever carries on in the vacated seats, I'm sure will make it their own... and I'll make my determinations then.... The worst thing any comic can do is pattern a brand after someone else...

True, but I doubt Colbert is going to take his new show into the political arena. That remains to be seen of course, but I believe he's said as much. Stewart is stepping away, so that leaves you with Maher and Oliver. That's a pretty huge vacuum to fill.

Correct Mr. Manhole.... I didn't make myself clear.... I was referring to Stewart & Colbert's old shows, and the people who are replacing them.... I definitely did not mean the former Letterman gig.... my bad

Ah, gotcha. Have to say I'm not sold on Larry Wilmore at this point, but I'm not sure that it's a fair situation for him. He has some really big shoes to fill.

The most important qualification is that honest disagreement is not enough. It must be accompanied my mockery, shame, disdain, incredulity, snark.

The host must be a destroyer, as in "watch Jon Stewart Destroy X".

"Honest disagreement" doesn't exist in the world of political media- anywhere.

The most important qualification is that honest disagreement is not enough. It must be accompanied my mockery, shame, disdain, incredulity, snark.

Good lord, the irony of this is overwhelming.

Maybe the people he mocks shouldn't do incredibly dumb things/say incredibly dumb things.

Most times, he's showing how hypocrites don't get called out on their lies....not sure how people DON'T want to hear that type of thing about the people running the country/

Oh, i get it, you probably voted for the people who lie non stop about what they've said in the past and continue to pretend the American people are too dumb to realize it.

It's not at all about "disagreement" but you knew that, you're obviously smart enough to know that.

The hacks have a special love for Stewart because he’s their id. They don’t just think he’s funny, they thrill to his every sarcastic quip. They wish they could get away with being so one-sided, snarky and dismissive.
They wish they could skip over all the boring phone calls and the due diligence and the pretend fairness and just blurt out to their ideological enemies in Stewart style, “What the f–k is wrong with you?”
Most other journalists aren’t allowed to swear or to slam powerful figures (lest they be denied chances to interview them in future). Their editors make them tone down their opinions and cloak them behind weasel words like “critics say.” Journalists have to dress up in neutrality drag every day, and it’s a bore.

The hacks have a special love for Stewart because he’s their id. They don’t just think he’s funny, they thrill to his every sarcastic quip. They wish they could get away with being so one-sided, snarky and dismissive.
They wish they could skip over all the boring phone calls and the due diligence and the pretend fairness and just blurt out to their ideological enemies in Stewart style, “What the f–k is wrong with you?”
Most other journalists aren’t allowed to swear or to slam powerful figures (lest they be denied chances to interview them in future). Their editors make them tone down their opinions and cloak them behind weasel words like “critics say.” Journalists have to dress up in neutrality drag every day, and it’s a bore.

A lot of folks have a special love for both Stewart and Colbert due to their talent, intelligence, and insight. Of course as satirists and comedians they have more leeway than a traditional journalist does. I'd hazard a guess that many of these "hacks" (including the author of the piece you posted) would pursue a career in comedy or satire if they had the talent to do so successfully.

A lot of folks have a special love for both Stewart and Colbert due to their talent, intelligence, and insight. Of course as satirists and comedians they have more leeway than a traditional journalist does. I'd hazard a guess that many of these "hacks" (including the author of the piece you posted) would pursue a career in comedy or satire if they had the talent to do so successfully.

He just quoted a NY Post op ed article. By Kyle Smith. I know Kyle and worked with him. He's a class A douchebag with nothing to say beyond a burning need to stir the shit and kiss the right wing editors asses.

Commodore coming in here and criticizing Stewart for not being interested in debate and conversation and then posting NYP editorial is beyond hilarious. If I didn't know he was serious I'd swear he was a troll. Best not to try and engage him in conversation, lest you be forced to trudge in a thick muck of ignorance.

Archived