First Colbert and now Jon: 16 years of awesomeness will soon end

A True Kaniggit

maybe, just maybe its me but IIRC a guy name Craig Kilborn started off a show that was great, but after a while it was starting to getting stale, and he jumped ship to follow up David Lettermen, and people thought that show he first started would die off. It was a good short term move, but not so good in the long run.

The show that looked dead, found another lead, a guy that had, had some success but not really a star. That kind of worked out well.

The only real problem is that the best people to replace Stewart are Colbert, Oliver or Seth Meyers all of which have (fairly) new shows of there own.

I am sure that they will find someone else, who knows Kilborn isn't do much these days.

I remember watching "Indecision 2000" with my boyfriend and his roommates on their apartment my first year of college. After staying up to watch it, we went out to Krispy Kreme for a donut run.

I also remember watching it every night on my computer while living in Japan...it was literally the only way I got news of America while living there.

Will miss you, Jon. You've been there since I was a teenager- now I'm a college-educated woman with a husband (my aforementioned boyfriend) and two children.

I remember watching "Indecision 2000" with my boyfriend and his roommates on their apartment my first year of college. After staying up to watch it, we went out to Krispy Kreme for a donut run.

I also remember watching it every night on my computer while living in Japan...it was literally the only way I got news of America while living there.

Will miss you, Jon. You've been there since I was a teenager- now I'm a college-educated woman with a husband (my aforementioned boyfriend) and two children.

Similar but diverging paths. I also saw Indecision 2000 when starting college, without entanglements though, and then watched Jon to get news when I moved to Argentina, where I am now a married man with two children. LOL.

Glad its over. Got boring after a while. Been dragging on too much.

this, his ratings were declining and his audience aging

playing a cable news clip and mugging incredulously at the camera tapping his pencil must have been getting old for him

this, his ratings were declining and his audience aging

playing a cable news clip and mugging incredulously at the camera tapping his pencil must have been getting old for him

Do you have a link? My google search suggested that it seems to be a huge deal for viacom that he is leaving which doesn't suggest what you are saying at all.

ETA: http://blogs.wsj.com/cmo/2015/02/12/nbc-late-night-ratings/

Found one, but it appears that unless you are Jimmy Fallon, that is kinda true for everyone.

Not being American I don't follow his show religiously, but I do get the impression he's been coasting for a while.

It's like any other TV show. There are good episodes and meh ones. I think a show like this is pretty reliant on the news cycle as well. It shines during election years or during scandals and the like. I will say that it hasn't been the same since Colbert wrapped up his run. That was a 1-2 punch that was hard to beat. I think Colbert's style contrasted nicely with Stewart's. Something was lost there, no doubt.

Similar but diverging paths. I also saw Indecision 2000 when starting college, without entanglements though, and then watched Jon to get news when I moved to Argentina, where I am now a married man with two children. LOL.

LOL. Seems that the Daily Show had a similar effect on our lives XD

I think Oliver's show really stole the Daily Show's thunder. Their extended 15 minute deep-dives into a subject took the opening segment from The Daily Show and improved upon it. Always thought the first 10 minutes of The Daily Show was the true genius of what Stewart was doing. The taped segments and the interviews could be good but the raison d'etre of the show IMO was the opening 10 minutes.

Still The Daily Show was revolutionary for what it was doing. Never seen a more clever or effective way of spotlighting hypocrisy in people, the media and the larger political system. I mean a lot of people are doing it but few did it as effectively or as entertainingly. He had the perfect comic sensibility for it, toeing the line between lightly poking fun and genuine outrage depending on the subject. Have to admit, even Oliver can't replace that aspect of what Stewart did.

I think Oliver's show really stole the Daily Show's thunder. Their extended 15 minute deep-dives into a subject took the opening segment from The Daily Show and improved upon it. Always thought the first 10 minutes of The Daily Show was the true genius of what Stewart was doing. The taped segments and the interviews could be good but the raison d'etre of the show IMO was the opening 10 minutes.

Still The Daily Show was revolutionary for what it was doing. Never seen a more clever or effective way of spotlighting hypocrisy in people, the media and the larger political system. I mean a lot of people are doing it but few did it as effectively or as entertainingly. He had the perfect comic sensibility for it, toeing the line between lightly poking fun and genuine outrage depending on the subject. Have to admit, even Oliver can't replace that aspect of what Stewart did.

Completely agreed! I only ever stuck around to watch the interviews when I was actually interested in the guest but I always hated to miss the opening half or so. My favorite interviews were always those where Stewart and the guest happened to go way back together so they'd just riff on everything and anything until, right at the end, they'd go "oh yeah, almost forgot!" and squeeze in the movie/book plug.

I'll greatly miss Stewart but it'll be interesting to see what direction they go in to replace him. Also, I'll definitely keep an eye out for what Stewart gets up to in the future (I think he wants to do more directing for sure).

Yeah, I'd agree that Oliver's show does that better, but it's kind of apples and oranges. Or maybe Cuties vs Navels, or something. It's a weekly show on a premium channel versus a show that airs 4 times a week on Basic Cable.

Also agree that the Daily Show format could often lead to an unbalanced show. I often found the interview segment to be a bit of a throwaway, especially if I wasn't particularly interested in the guest.

Still The Daily Show was revolutionary for what it was doing. Never seen a more clever or effective way of spotlighting hypocrisy in people, the media and the larger political system.

We do things differently in the UK, with topical panel shows (far too many topical panel shows, these days) rather than talk shows covering that niche, which in some ways is less effective (it doesn't allow any of the kind of actual journalism that John Oliver has built his show on, for example) but when it was at its best Have I Got News for You did this very well. Probably in large part because one of the team captains is Ian Hislop, who also edits Private Eye, which if you're not familiar is a sublime current-affairs satire magazine.

Aaanyway.

We do things differently in the UK, with topical panel shows (far too many topical panel shows, these days) rather than talk shows covering that niche, which in some ways is less effective (it doesn't allow any of the kind of actual journalism that John Oliver has built his show on, for example) but when it was at its best Have I Got News for You did this very well. Probably in large part because one of the team captains is Ian Hislop, who also edits Private Eye, which if you're not familiar is a sublime current-affairs satire magazine.

Aaanyway.

I used to be addicted to HIGNFY. I kept a VPN account just so I could watch it every week.

John Oliver Scolds America will eventually become as stale as Stewart did (Oliver is different than Ferguson, who clearly loves America).

The best was the segment Oliver did warning us about how much policy was being made in state legislatures. As if this is were a revelation and not the intent of the founders. The notion of federalism is a foreign concept to him.

I can't wait for him to scold us about evolution and how ignorant we all are. He will drop so much knowledge on us with all the googling he did this week.

Archived