First Colbert and now Jon: 16 years of awesomeness will soon end

A True Kaniggit

The Atlantic has a piece here speculating on why shows like this work better for liberals.

Interesting piece, and I can buy into the premise regarding why we have so few Conservative comedians or satirists, but I'm not sure it explains everything. Outside of Dennis Miller and maybe P.J. O'Rourke, I can't think of another Conservative who even approaches the success of a multitude of Left of Center artists and writers.

I'm thinking it's considerably harder to present Conservative viewpoints in a humorous manner. "Screw you, I got mine," just isn't that funny. ;)

Interesting piece, and I can buy into the premise regarding why we have so few Conservative comedians or satirists, but I'm not sure it explains everything. Outside of Dennis Miller and maybe P.J. O'Rourke, I can't think of another Conservative who even approaches the success of a multitude of Left of Center artists and writers.

Rush Limbaugh?

Comedy of the absurd, I suppose. He's only funny in an ironic sense methinks. He's certainly successful, but do you consider him to be a humorist or satirist? More of a commentator.

"Commentator" is a much... kinder word than I'd use.

I'm thinking it's considerably harder to present Conservative viewpoints in a humorous manner. "Screw you, I got mine," just isn't that funny. ;)

One of the reasons I love the late great Carlin so much. Everything was fair game. Stewart didn't coddle the Left either. He called people out on their Shit, no matter their political leaning. Just so happened he saw far more bullshit on the right.

Christopher Buckley is right of center and writes satirical novels. I've only read one or two, but the one I remember was funny and a bit absurd.

I haven't read any of his writing, but his father was a really interesting man. I wish we had a Conservative figure or pundit today that was on his level. That guy knew how to debate.

• 1 month later...

Trevor Noah to Succeed Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

Surprising choice to me. I've seen him on the show a couple of times, and he was funny. Otherwise I'm not familiar with him at all, I didn't even recognize his name.

It's intriguing. Not my first choice, but I wasn't asked. :p

What little I've seen, I liked the comedy, but the delivery seemed stiff and initially tentative.

I liked the comedy, but the delivery seemed stiff and initially tentative.

His stand up isn't that great either, though he may benefit from better writers. And stiff, tentative delivery is common for every new DS correspondent. Some of them work through it and some don't. Not sure we've seen enough of Noah to be confident either way.

Not too sure about this. I haven't seen enough of his work to make a proper judgement but the little I've seen (his few Daily Show pieces) have been only good to okay.

On another, semi-related note, really sad to see Jason Jones leaving. Loved his actual reporting from Iran and Russia.

Doesn't Oliver have the "foreign scold" market cornered?

I guess there's something to be said for copying what works.

Apparently 'Murika can dish it out but can't take it.

are there Americans hosting TV shows in other countries Americasplaining what's wrong with them?

Americasplanation tends to come in the form of coups, bombs, and occupation, rendering the complaint that- gasp!- foreign hosts criticize America on American TV yet American hosts don't criticize foreign countries on foreign TV laughable for its insignificance and total lack of self awareness.

Archived