Heresy 151

Black Crow

No that's true. And I concede the point. I'm not saying she isn't a badass character, because I agree at times she has been, and given her last chapter in ADWD, she's going full on badass now. I still feel like she's too obvious in terms of the final conflict, and will die before it arrives.

Exactly. That's the word I was searching for. Everyone is in situ, in real-time, with prophetic elements superimposed upon them.

Hell she may turn out to be sorely misguided in her actions which is what i believe will happen good intentions bad results kind of situation.If she dies or not and when ehhh i'm not que sera sera.

And what of the phrases 'The north remembers' and 'Winter is coming' and 'There must always be a Stark in Winterfell'?

The north remembers winter is coming and there must always be a Stark in Winterfell. Possibly a piece of a larger agreement or foretelling?

What must have been the thoughts of those who survived the Long Night when winter came around again? Downright scary.

-

-

In the world book it is said that the Boltons, aka Red Kings, burned down Winterfell in the past. Was there any surviving Starks at those times? If not, what were the consequences of no Stark in Winterfell during such times? Obviously the Starks were not wiped out when Winterfell burned, yet how did they survive? The crypts seem like a good place to stay during bad times.

To add on a little more pondering...

The Starks and Boltons feud goes back to the Long Night, so I wonder if the confrontation between the two families had any part of the Long Night.

It seems to be one of the failures, yes.

But is he sticking to this, nearly 22 years down the road? People who were born in 1993 could easily now be college graduates. GRRM's plan may similarly have grown and changed.

I do think he's sticking to the concept of three primary subplots or threats, and their relative threaty-iness, but I am not so sure those five characters will still all survive.

I'm also not really sure the dragons have the narrative time to pose much threat to Westeros at this point. There is so much left for GRRM to do, so very much, that I just cannot picture him dragging out that bit for long unless he's going to go beyond seven books. Which it seems he still plans not to do.

I suspect it will wind up being more like the HOTU vision on the show: while Dany gets to Westeros, there isn't much if any time for her to conquer or rule. She may reach for the Iron Throne, but she won't really touch it.

Nice to see as recently as yesterday GRRM still plans on 7 books. I take it as a good sign given book 6 should be nearing completion.

Should be, indeed. But is it?

Asked to clarify the fact that Winds does not appear on any of his publishers' schedules for 2015, GRRM said this (last week):

"I certainly hope that THE WINDS OF WINTER is not on the schedule of ANY of my publishers. I have spent years trying to persuade them all not to schedule my books until they are completed and delivered. Scheduling, and then having to reschedule and postpone, just pisses people off. I'd rather not schedule at all until the date is real and certain.

This flies against standard publishing practice, however, so it's a battle that I do not always win."

Actually, In some ways, the question he was responding to is as interesting as his comment. Here's the prompt:

"Your close followers are aware that you don't want the book scheduled and haven't been keeping many people, if any aside from Parris, updated on its progress; Jane meant only to confirm as such to those who aren't. Seemingly almost everyone took it as confirmation that Winds won't be published this year, which can't be confirmed by Jane or anyone else besides, perhaps, yourself. Since it's now being widely interpreted and reported as an official statement that Winds won't or can't be released this year, as well as that the books finishing before the show is impossible, I wanted to let you know how many news sites are publishing speculation as fact that they believe has been confirmed by a reliable source - including the Wall Street Journal, Time, Entertainment Weekly, the Hollywood Reporter, the AV Club... The list of misinterpreters and the ill-informed grows longer seemingly by the day.

"A bit of a conundrum, I admit, as it would be difficult to correct it without implying that the book will or could be released this year, which may or may not be true, and which you don't want to confirm yet if so. But either way, I wanted to let you know what speculation is currently being treated as truth so that you could decide what, if anything, should be said."

https://grrm.livejournal.com/406155.html?thread=20252043#t20252043

I heard this was a great place for discussions of a heretical nature! I am the author of the linked reddit post.

Also, I have some pretty interesting ideas for the Daynes connection to the events at the ToJ. This was actually my very first reddit post, so my ideas have evolved a bit since then, but the main gist is still the same: http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/2e6x7m/spoilers_all_theory_the_ned_stark_house_dayne/.

Also, Eira thanks for inviting me, this is a wonderful forum.

As you know, I don't outline my novels. I find that if I know exactly where a book is going, I lose all interest in writing it.

-GRRM

I'm starting to wish I never started reading ASOIAF. It's been almost 4 full years since ADWD was released and we are probably looking at another year+ then how long for ADOS? Assuming it's even wrapped up in 7 books. It's insanity.

Just thinking about the letter again... like I stopped! haha, but anyway, the absence of any Ironborn kind of stands out to me. On my first read I remember wondering why they were ever included, as they seemed to detract from the overall feel of the series, but over time, I've learned to appreciate their role much more. I'm wondering, since I may be off-base in calling Dany a red herring distracting casual readers from Jon, if the Ironborn were added later to displace Dany's Dothraki Invasion.

And if so, (vomit) this might, in fact bolster the non-heretical cheeseball notions of Jon and Dany slaying Others arm-in-arm. Maybe Ghost will ride Viseryon! lol

I heard this was a great place for discussions of a heretical nature! I am the author of the linked reddit post.

Also, I have some pretty interesting ideas for the Daynes connection to the events at the ToJ. This was actually my very first reddit post, so my ideas have evolved a bit since then, but the main gist is still the same: http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/2e6x7m/spoilers_all_theory_the_ned_stark_house_dayne/.

Hey there, welcome! I'll have to check out your reddit post.

Welcome to Heresy! Loved your Reddit post. I believe you will love it here in Heresy :)

I'm starting to wish I never started reading ASOIAF. It's been almost 4 full years since ADWD was released and we are probably looking at another year+ then how long for ADOS? Assuming it's even wrapped up in 7 books. It's insanity.

Don't mean to salt the wound, but like Logen Ninefingers, we have to be realistic LOL

AGOT, ACOK, ASOS and AFFC were published in a 9-year span. That's 4 books. Since AFFC, there's been only 1 book, published... in even longer, 9 years and counting.

Welcome, DLOM! I very much enjoyed your alternative theory on the origins of the First Men - as did many around here, in fact. It's still got me thinking...

Way to go, Eira, with the invite! (And JNR, for sharing the link to that post.)

Don't mean to salt the wound, but like Logen Ninefingers, we have to be realistic LOL

AGOT, ACOK, ASOS and AFFC were published in a 9-year span. That's 4 books. Since AFFC, there's been only 1 book, published... in even longer, 9 years and counting.

Nah, it's about time for some regression to the mean. I say we get Winds within a year.

Welcome! You'll be a valuable participant I'm sure.

I know :(

Wouldn't mind another book with the Bloody Nine either :)

Welcome indeed!

I've been just reading here these last weeks (no time for much more) and I noticed one thing that bothered me a bit - the constant bashing of the R*L=J thread folks. I'll admit I never visited those threads or even participated so I can't speak on their theoretical inflexibility but still

the local house rules that the debate be conducted by reference to the text, with respect for the ideas of others,

*even if it is the most commonly accepted theory of them all ;)

Jon may be primarily a son of Winterfell but this revelation alone is almost as useless as nipples on a breastplate.

Archived