Inventing a Religion

Weeping Sore

If you were tasked with creating a religion that would re-shape the world the way you wanted it to be, what would it be like? Deity(ies)? Iconography or lack thereof? Tenets, ideals, transgressions/sins? What would you call it? How would one convert to this religion? What would the attitude toward non-believers be? Would you name yourself as the earthly Hierophant? Would you use kickstarter?

I'd mostly want to create a religion so I could rock a t-shirt with that Blake quote about creating a system on it. And so I could legally use certain controlled substances as a ritual sacrament. So drugs, and and the Blake T-shirt.

I suppose for some window dressing I'd throw in a bit of the golden rule, a cool hat/kilt/bandolier rig for me as Autarch, and a bunch of tree hugging / conservation stuff. Maybe some bumper stickers that say "Do you believe in dog?".

I would name it something creative... like scientology.2.

Though I have always fervently believed the church of the flying Spaghetti monster to be the way forward...

http://www.venganza.org/

Do not let Stannis or Mel hear you or you'll be fired in a minute! In all senses!

I find some similarities with my church of election which is dudeism.

I must get some time to read about spaghetti and on their effect to gain of weight

I am a huge mythology nerd especially greek mythology so i would take the whole thing way too seriously and create some kick ass characters and myths

Oh me too. I would have a foundational myth about the Primordial Sphincter, which separated That Which Is Inside from That Which Is Outside. Parables about the dangers brought on by the Sphincter That Would Not Close, and the dangers brought on by the Sphincter That Would Not Open. Heroic stories of Sainted Servants of the Sphincter. This religion is practically writing itself.

If you were tasked with creating a religion that would re-shape the world the way you wanted it to be, what would it be like? Deity(ies)? Iconography or lack thereof? Tenets, ideals, transgressions/sins? What would you call it? How would one convert to this religion? What would the attitude toward non-believers be? Would you name yourself as the earthly Hierophant? Would you use kickstarter?

It would be all about strength and stamina. It would have three deities, Muscle, Spasm and Control.

It would be called... Fit'sismus

One would convert by choosing a sport or sorts and joining a local place of worship. Non-believers would be ignored and despised or even boot-camped.

Kickstarter would be spreading the low carb diet.

Ha! My right-hand woman, Pony Queen Jace, and I invented a religion. With an origins story and tenets. Eat your hearts out.

Relevantism, The Holy Gospel:

The Book of Jace-

On the First Day, there was chaos. On the second, The Kingdom of The Fallen.

Quickly did it rise, a glorious monarchy, out of the fires of France. A new god was born, and her messiah, a scholarly girl with a scholarly mother.

Born to a minor noble family, the daughter of the god Jace spread our holy faith everywhere she went. Jace, she taught, was a teacher. A woman of professional dress and smart bifocals, a minister of knowledge and intellectual pursuits. This god was lord of all, lord of kingdoms and children, businesses and kindergartens.

Under her watchful gaze, the nobility grows strong. The Fallen, her chosen immortal emperor, keeps the nobility in line. And the nobility keeps the Surfs in line. Surfs require constant oversight, lest they descend into their lazy ways. Lounging on the shores, and phoning about on their phones.

The Fallen, May He Live Forever, reopened the dormant coal mines of old, with the Surfs being put to good use inside. And the god Jace gave her blessing to the endeavor, resulting in a new tradesource for the empire. Long may he reign, with her generous blessings.

The X Tenets:

I. Thou Shalt Not Undermine the Authority of The Holy Church

II. Thou Shalt Not Derive Governing Authority from Another Source Than By Holy God

III. Thou Shalt Not Complain When Set To Work Upon the Holy Pyramids

IV. Thou Shalt Not Seek Freedom From the Oppressive Nobles

V. Thou Shall Treat Each Nobles' Land As His Kingdom

VI. Thine Nobles Shall Provide Guidance and Assign Purpose to the Surfs.

VII. Thine Surfs Shall Obey Thy Nobles

VIII. Surfs Shalt Not Murder Nobles

IX. Surfs Shalt Not Disobey Nobles

X. Thine Rights of Nobles Are Considered A Gift For Those Who First Set In Motion The Events To Conquer The World.

Oh me too. I would have a foundational myth about the Primordial Sphincter, which separated That Which Is Inside from That Which Is Outside. Parables about the dangers brought on by the Sphincter That Would Not Close, and the dangers brought on by the Sphincter That Would Not Open. Heroic stories of Sainted Servants of the Sphincter. This religion is practically writing itself.

Worshiping a mythical Sphincter might not even be the worst religion humankind has experienced. Bring it on!

A religion that re shapes the world?

Lets be honest here. Firstly, if I had the ability to do this, I'd abuse the fuck out of it and make myself a living god. That's not to say it's the right or moral choice, but fuck it. If I have a chance to be a living god I'm not passing it up.

Assuming I'm placed in some kind of suspended animation as soon as I'm done designing it, as are all my loved ones, so we can see how it plays out without participating / benefitting from it, or assuming the rules state you can't personally benefit, then I'd go for:

Masonitism:

The Masonites believe that the universe itself is a god. It's a kind god and a harsh god, for most it's far from welcoming, but to the chosen few (those on earth or other life sustaining planets) it has created small rocks of paradise for us. Places that sustain us. And all it asks in return?

Be cool.

There you go. that's the one rule.

There are some who debate the actual rule is "Don't be an Ass", but because one side wants to be cool and the other side don't want to be asses, they don't really get in each other's face about it, and kinda agree both rules sorta mean the same thing generally.

The faith does, however, attract extremists. They believe the actual wording should be "Try to make life as pleasant as possible for everyone involved". They hide deep within the church, pretending to follow the traditional words, because ultimately they believe that will make life as pleasant as possible for everyone involved.

To join, find a member and ask "We cool?" and receive the reply "As long as you're not an ass!".

When you die, energy simply changes state. It isn't destroyed. You become part of the universe. You become part of god.

Non believers tend to be uncool asses that need to be shown the light. How? By not being an ass to them, being cool, and generally showing them how everyone is happier when people aren't shitty to each other.

Punishments for transgressions? Rehabilitation. Simple. Minor offenses may instead be punished with a "not cool dude!" or "Come on man!"

My religion would be called The Blanket Brigade and the followers would be called Blanketanians. We believe that blankets are meant to be comfortable and meant to keep us warm. It's a polytheistic religion that believes all blankets that are comfortable should be worshipped. Non believers will be laughed at. Anyone got a problem?

My religion would be called The Blanket Brigade and the followers would be called Blanketanians. We believe that blankets are meant to be comfortable and meant to keep us warm. It's a polytheistic religion that believes all blankets that are comfortable should be worshipped. Non believers will be laughed at. Anyone got a problem?

No. I have a great, worship worthy blanket!

Are your guys cool? 'cause if they are cool, we're cool...

Archived