Vikings season 3

cdawnb

I wonder how the noble wolf will react to his wife and Aethlstan, Ecbert can not possible stop him be it he leads his armies and probably more loved among nobles, clergy and peasants. I am really surprise Ecbert isn't doing his all he can to stop anything that would break the loyalty his son has in him.

Yah. Also adultery at the level of the royal family is treason. Judith should not go there. She really should not. Not because it is sin but because she and Athelstan will die, in a very painful way. I'd rather have them live and secretly cherish a mutual tendresse. But then, I suppose the fashion for "secret tendresse" is something some centuries away yet. No courtly love in Saxon Britain!

Actually, sparing him is quiet smart, his men won't flock to a new claimant, and easier for Ecbert to force a submission.

As King Eckbert says, puppet ruler on Mercia's throne makes Mercia Wessex's. That was the plan, and now the plan has reached fruition.

But Eckbert's nobles will never accept these pagans. He knows it. He will protect these pagans for as long as they're useful to invade and hold Mercia for him. Then he'll somehow get the Big Dogs like Ragnar to visit Paris. Maybe then Bjorn will visit his mother's kingdom at that time, because he is a father? Or isn't a father? We don't know yet how that will come out.

I really do feel bad for Aethelstan. In season 1, all his buddies are slaughtered and he is kidnapped. In season 2 he's kidnapped again by his own countrymen and crucified, and now in season 3 he's got the hottest chick on the whole show after him but she's married.

Is this guy ever going to get a break?

Have only just caught up with episode two. Will probably watch three tomorrow or the day after. I would just like to comment quickly on the second episode. I wasn't a big fan. I thought it was pretty choppy, the cuts were a bit jarring. Furthermore I do not like the swerve into the supernatural. This show was better when the existence of God(s) was just left up in the air, leaving us all to wonder. They'll have to do a hell of a job with the fantasy elements to get me on board, that's for sure.

Huguenot Henry of Navarre famously declared that France was worth a mass.

I know France is implied an all, but I do distinctly remember that what he actually said was 'Paris vaut bien une messe.' Or am I misremembering?

Have only just caught up with episode two. Will probably watch three tomorrow or the day after. I would just like to comment quickly on the second episode. I wasn't a big fan. I thought it was pretty choppy, the cuts were a bit jarring. Furthermore I do not like the swerve into the supernatural. This show was better when the existence of God(s) was just left up in the air, leaving us all to wonder. They'll have to do a hell of a job with the fantasy elements to get me on board, that's for sure.

I know France is implied an all, but I do distinctly remember that what he actually said was 'Paris vaut bien une messe.' Or am I misremembering?

The fantasy elements don't get too overwhelming, at least so far. Even in the future I can't see it getting to magic-y.

and now in season 3 he's got the hottest chick on the whole show after him but she's married.

C'm on, man ! Lagertha !

I agree Judith is gorgeous, but Kathryn Winnick is simply perfect (my biggest TV crush since Kiera Cameron in Continuum).

C'm on, man ! Lagertha !

I agree Judith is gorgeous, but Kathryn Winnick is simply perfect (my biggest TV crush since Kiera Cameron in Continuum).

Haha I don't know man, there's just something about Judith.

Don't get me wrong though, Lagertha's very close.

Kwenthrith also has a kind of unique look about her than reminds me of Eva Green. Anybody else see this?

You must be right. I even hear "Paris" in my head. But I typed France because I am always garbling things. Sigh.

As I am currenlty re-reading The Black Jacobins during the day, reading a history of Britain during 1793-1815 before turning out the lights, while I do my work outs listening to an audio download of Napoleon's Wars. France is on the brain!

As for Harbard -- at first I thought Kattegat's Seer might be getting too frail for his work, i.e. getting old, and Harbard was "sent" in some way to take his place. (Have we seen whether or not the Seer has apprentices? Or when one Seer dies, some Seer council sends a community another one?) But the way Siggy's whiskers twitched about him ... and these two dead children out of nowhere, and just something about him himself that screams at best charleton and at worst some twisted schemer . . . I just don't know. But it seems sinister.

Kwenthrith also has a kind of unique look about her than reminds me of Eva Green. Anybody else see this?

Yeah, definitly ! Glad I'm not the only one thinking it (but that is maybe because I've just binge-watched Penny Dreadful ! ^^)

Yah. Also adultery at the level of the royal family is treason. Judith should not go there. She really should not. Not because it is sin but because she and Athelstan will die, in a very painful way. I'd rather have them live and secretly cherish a mutual tendresse. But then, I suppose the fashion for "secret tendresse" is something some centuries away yet. No courtly love in Saxon Britain!

Yeah but according to the preview of next ep it is going done, and by trailers he may remain in jolly England. Weep for Aethelstan, his penis may yet crucify him.

Oh man Athelstan :drool: I really like the athelstan subplot

Oh and King Ecbert talking about plowing :lmao:

I really don't trust the wanderer. I love Siggy, she's so much smarter than Aslaug, the looj she gave her when aslaug said the men had gone raiding :spank:

I kind of like it, since it shows the world in a way that these people would have viewed it. To them, the existence of gods and other supernatural beings wouldn't really been "left up in the air" so to say.

I kind of like it, since it shows the world in a way that these people would have viewed it. To them, the existence of gods and other supernatural beings wouldn't really been "left up in the air" so to say.

I like it too. There are many indications that the people of this time, christian and pagan, deeply belived in the supernatural world and I love the fact that the show explores that.

I wanted to add that they also do it in a respectful way, for both sides.

Anybody else getting a Rasputin vibe from the wanderer?

Comes in and gets himself right next to the Queen, in part because he has the apparent ability to take away boneless' pain.

IIRC, Rasputin was reputed to be the only one who could calm down the Russian Queen's son, who was a hemophiliac or some such. It was one of a series of reasons she believed him to be a holy man. My info is vague and barely remembered, so if someone with thicker knowledge on the subject could confirm or tell me how off base I am, that'd be cool.

Anybody else getting a Rasputin vibe from the wanderer?

Comes in and gets himself right next to the Queen, in part because he has the apparent ability to take away boneless' pain.

IIRC, Rasputin was reputed to be the only one who could calm down the Russian Queen's son, who was a hemophiliac or some such. It was one of a series of reasons she believed him to be a holy man. My info is vague and barely remembered, so if someone with thicker knowledge on the subject could confirm or tell me how off base I am, that'd be cool.

Yah I was getting that impression as well... I'm really interested to see how this plays out.

Oh man Athelstan :drool: I really like the athelstan subplot

Oh and King Ecbert talking about plowing :lmao:

I really don't trust the wanderer. I love Siggy, she's so much smarter than Aslaug, the looj she gave her when aslaug said the men had gone raiding :spank:

I know, right? "Yah come in to our house, there's only a few women in here and all of the men in the entire village have went away fighting so its basically some girls and some old guys here lol"

Yah I was getting that impression as well... I'm really interested to see how this plays out.

I know, right? "Yah come in to our house, there's only a few women in here and all of the men in the entire village have went away fighting so its basically some girls and some old guys here lol"

:agree: Yah, and Siggy's very attuned to such potential threats. I liked that.

I like it too. There are many indications that the people of this time, christian and pagan, deeply belived in the supernatural world and I love the fact that the show explores that.

I wanted to add that they also do it in a respectful way, for both sides.

Yeah, and not just that time either. People believed in things like these until pretty modern times. Most popular historical movies and series lack this, and have characters with very modern world views, so I agree that it is a nice change.

I liked the last episode. My favorite scene was when the wanderer told the story. It was my favorite as a kid.

Just like others have said I like that they are taking religion seriously from the peoples perspective.

Archived