Are You an Unrecognized Genius?

Weeping Sore

That's a good enough saying, except in the cases of modern editors it's impossible to tell the donkeys from their steeds.

Yeah, my audience doesn't 'get' me either. Prophets, profits, etc.

I once had all these raps about computer programming and some email rap battles about the software industry but sadly they were destroyed when I forgot to migrate them post-graduation.

Makes me think of something Nixon purportedly said:

''I have often thought that if there had been a good rap group around in those days I might have chosen a career in music instead of politics.''

-Nixon reminiscing about his life, on an audio tape at the Nixon Library.

I agree that artistic genius is probably hard or impossible to quantify. Probably one needs >140 to become a physics Nobel laureate. But even there it is far from clear (I think) whether the extraordinary achievements of e.g. Einstein or Heisenberg were due to having extremely high IQ numbers within their field (and you can also get a Nobel by lots of luck; Peter Higgs was not a very distinguished physicist at all). It seems likely that e.g. von Neumann was smarter than Heisenberg, but the latter came up with matrix mechanics although he had not even known what matrices were.

With artists it is even more dubious. There is a surviving household bill where Beethoven apparently did not think of multiplying the equal amounts for a dozen items but instead added them up (and maybe even made a mistake in that sum). Probably he was not above average intelligence in the maths department. The only measure are the musical works and these are in regions where it is usally agreed that quantifiable measures do not make sense.

Everywhere I go people say "Wow this guy is so smart he is a genius" or "Larry you are a genius. No you are THE genius." Sometimes they just say it like a title: "Excuse me, your Genius, what do you think about furries?"

Once a passerby exclaimed "Holy crap, a genius" and he pointed at me. I didn't mind, it wasn't his fault he wasn't a genius too. Sometimes they say "Have a great day, Genius."

Other times I am called over to save the day: "Help, we can't figure out how to open this beer. Is there a genius around? HELP!!!"

I also help famous authors proofread books and make important decisions for important people because they need a genius. I once delivered a X-mas tree for Alan Trammel because he couldn't figure out how to get it from the store to his house.

Once the guv'mint told me who killed JFK in exchange for some geniuswork I did for them figuring tough things out. They offered to give me all the money in the US but I had to remind them "Hey, if you did that no one else would have any. Good thing I'm a genius and I know better." And it was a good thing because otherwise I'd have all the money and it would be a big problem.

It's just what you do when you are a recognized genius.

I'll admit that 80% of my intention in starting this thread was to see what larry would post.

I once had all these raps about computer programming and some email rap battles about the software industry but sadly they were destroyed when I forgot to migrate them post-graduation.

''I have often thought that if there had been a good rap group around in those days I might have chosen a career in music instead of politics.''

i can just hear Nixon rapping "As your President, and I am your President!"

i can just hear Nixon rapping "As your President, and I am your President!"

I got one mark off full marks for my drama mark in school and was in the top 5 percent for theatre students in college. Everything else i was painfully average at. Except i was pretty good at classics in college and not bad at english lit so i guess i chose an ok degree with ancient history

Archived