Slaughterhouse Mexico - US failure

Arakan

Some weeks ago I went to Mexico where we are currently working on a power plant project. Beautiful country, great people but it makes me sick to see what has happened to this great Country. And when you speak with the people you cannot help but get angry at the USA.

They are the main reason why Mexico has degenerated into such a slaughterhouse. But what does the land of the free do?

- build a fence

- ignore all responsibility (after all they are just Mexicans, isnt it)

- instead of helping Mexico just go around the world and play strongman.

The irony is breathtaking. Here the US could make a difference but they simple close their eyes. Maybe Mr. McCain should go to Mexico City instead travel 5000 miles and play big man in some Eastern European country.

Would be interesting to hear the opinion of our American users.

I'm not sure how the U.S. is the major problem. Without doing research I believe that the U.S. gives Mexico aid. I will say this, our drug addiction and war on drugs has indirectly made the cartels rich, and thus tougher for the Mexican government to deal with. But I think Mexico's biggest problem is corruption.

Would you mind sharing why this belief exists in Mexico?

not to mention the US lax immigration policy has likely elevated the standard of living for many Mexican families. I'm sure there are ares where the US is not working with the best interest of Mexico in mind but at the end of the day its a sovereign country and is responsible for its own destiny.

Seems kind of weird that you assert that you "cant help but get angry at the US" but offer zero explanation about why other than

- we built a fence which is absolutely within our rights (our land),

- we don't take responsibility for Mexico (because its Mexico, not New Mexico)

- we play strongman (ok, so even if that is true what does what we do in the middle east have to do with Mexico?)

Douchebagiest thread of the week!

not to mention the US lax immigration policy has likely elevated the standard of living for many Mexican families. I'm sure there are ares where the US is not working with the best interest of Mexico in mind but at the end of the day its a sovereign country and is responsible for its own destiny.

Seems kind of weird that you assert that you "cant help but get angry at the US" but offer zero explanation about why other than

- we built a fence which is absolutely within our rights (our land),

- we don't take responsibility for Mexico (because its Mexico, not New Mexico)

- we play strongman (ok, so even if that is true what does what we do in the middle east have to do with Mexico?)

Douchebagiest thread of the week!

You have no idea about the US history viz, Latin America do you? Hint: There's a reason New Mexico is on the wrong side of the border. (apart from the native americans, Mexico is probably the country that has been crapped on more by america than any other)

You have no idea about the US history viz, Latin America do you? Hint: There's a reason New Mexico is on the wrong side of the border. (apart from the native americans, Mexico is probably the country that has been crapped on more by america than any other)

If the OP wanted to define and elaborate on the ways in which the US is responsible for the present situation in Mexico, he could have. Instead he relegated it to a single line nestled between the border fence and the highly relevant antics of John McCain.

Regardless of how much of Mexico's problems are the fault of the United States' historical behavior, recent history has shown that when we try to fix other people problems, we make things worse. While the war on drugs doesn't help, we're slowly rolling it back. In the end, Mexico has to fix their own shit.

I guess in 1916 when we sent the army into Mexico to chase Poncho Villa.

Ha. Pancho Villa. Wasn't that actually a favor for Mexico?

Late 19th Century and early 20th Century American Imperialism in Latin America.

Right. I mean Mexico, specifically.

Did some quick research. Other than the war the relationship has generally been positive. They're our third largest trading partner. There's cooperation along the border.

This from Wikipedia:

"According to a 2010 Gallup poll, 4.4% of surveyed Mexicans, roughly 6.2 million people, say that they would move permanently to the United States if given the chance,[4] and according to the 2012 U.S. Global Leadership Report, 37% of Mexicans approve of U.S. leadership, with 27% disapproving and 36% uncertain.[5]"

This link has some good info.

http://www.euronews.com/2014/02/18/the-us-and-mexico-a-strong-but-difficult-relationship/

Archived